Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

engine lost power but was still running? did it jump timing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine lost power but was still running? did it jump timing?

Hey guys, first things first, my name is Delton and I am completely green to toyotas, I know early american stuff really well (40's to 70's) but am lost on new stuff.

I recently picked up a 87 4runner that has a ton of miles on it (328k) to be exact, it had sat in a field for 3 years and had certainly not been taken care of before then!

Well I got it for what I felt was a pretty good price and am really excited about having a good daily when I get through with it.

so my problem comes in when I get it running the other day, it idles poorly but I think that is the TPS, anyways so Im driving along and my rpms stay up and I can feel the power slipping away from me, I turn around and start to head back home and it seems like it is getting worse and worse, to the point where in 3rd gear im turning 2,500-3k and it will barely crawl up a medium sized hill...

the check engine light came on for about 5 minutes then went back off then eventually it shuts off completely and wont crank back up.

I kinda felt like the power was lacking pretty hard to begin with but I had never driven one before and thought that maybe it was just a characteristic of that engine?

so I am pretty sure it jumped time and that was the culprit

any one have any thoughts or words of wisdom to guide a young man on his way?

also a good resource for quality parts or suggestions of what brands to gop for and which ones to avoid would be helpful. I am super poor and have to do everything on a budget so mistakes are quite costly to me as I am sure they are to all of us.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if this is a stock 4runner, I am guessing it is a 22re engine? Have you read the codes for the CEL yet? Did you clean the fuel tank and system before driving it around since it sat for 3 years?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is a stock 22re, I drained the fuel and ran 2 cans of seafoam through it as well as having used a can of seamfoam cleaner to clean inside the throttle body area. I pulled codes before the massive loss of power and it was saying my TPS was bad, but this is a complete power failure while the engine was still running and idleing fine?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the truck start if you spray starter fluid in the intake? Have you tested the TPS? I think you need to download the FSM and start doing some checking
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-years-156128/