Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Electrical Starting Problem...I think

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical Starting Problem...I think

'88 4 runner, 22RE, 212,000 miles

Intermittent starting problem - happens hot or cold, no relation. Sometimes it turns over immediately, sometimes truck cranks strongly, but won't turn over. Prev owner had a kill switch wired to ignition coil that when switched 'off' created this same situation of vigorous cranking without actually turning over. Switch is since deactivated by local mechanic hoping to help with problem, no real long term change.

Now I suspect a short somewhere, a bare wire or a loose connection in the system since this problem is intermittent, but I don't know which wires to trace to look for a problem. I've spent hrs under the dash looking at wires trying to find a culprit visually, but no success. Willing to re-wire whatever circuit I need to, but not sure where to start (no pun intended!!)

Which wires might be involved in this type of starting issue? Just looking for help to narrow it down.

Thx!
JC
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 AM

oh yeah, and earlier today when it did start (after jiggling wires under drivers dash - not sure if that was related or not), it ran for 2 sec and died. I thought I heard a tiny click under the middle of the dash as it cut out. Not sure if any of that is relevant, but trying to paint a complete picture.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by JCinPB
... sometimes truck cranks strongly, but won't turn over.
Just as a vocabulary issue, I assume you mean it DOES "turn over" but it doesn't FIRE. If it cranks strongly, the crankshaft is certainly turning over.

I'd start with my timing light. Have someone turn the key and watch for the flash. If it's flashing but not firing, your problem is in the direction away from the distributor. (Bad plug wires, bad plugs, fuel pump not running, etc.) If no flash, move the timing light to the coil wire (to rule out the distributor).

Still no flash? Work the problem. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...12onvehicl.pdf
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Yeah to me turning over and cranking are the same. In the first post you hit the nail on the head. There is a loose connection somewhere .Try to find where this switch was tapped into the factory harness either in the engine compartment or under the dash. I know your probably tired of doing under dash gymnastics but keep looking particularly around the coil or the steering column
Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Thx guys - I did a lot of digging and tightened many random connections, both under hood and under dash - trimmed old all old wire from the defunct kill switch and made new connections on several ground wires that looked loose near fuse box. PO had lots of splices and junctions under there from radio, CB, kill switch, lights, etc. Many possible culprits so I just repaired anything that looked like it could use help.

She started right up this morning, but since the problem was intermittent, I won't trust that I fixed it until a couple of weeks go by without any issues.

I appreciate the help and comments and I'll post again if this didn't solve it for good. I like threads that close out with a solution!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 AM

It sounds like your making progress. good luck!