86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical problems 1988 22RE 4x4 truck, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical problems 1988 22RE 4x4 truck, need help

First time post, but a long time lurker. But I am stuck on this one and would like suggestions on getting it fixed. This may be long, but I will try to keep it short and concise.

Background is, I just picked up this vehicle from a fisherman who ferried it here a few years ago. It was given to me with a blown spark plug. I fixed that, but it also has another issue and I am not finding the source(s). And I live on a small island off the coast of Alaska with no mechanics to speak of, and with winter upon us, well I would like these items fixed.

Apparently the truck worked fine when it was taken to a shop by previous owner for a single electrical issue and when the owner picked it up, about half the electronics in it no longer work. (I don't know what the initial problem was, but it was like a turn signal wouldn't work - I can find out for sure if need be). So apparently the shop left something undone

So here is what DOES work

It starts, so the starter cranks and EFI works, etc.
Headlights work.
Brake lights work.
Backup lights work.
Windshield wiper (and washer jets) work.
Dashboard lights; the Battery light, and the ones above it in the dash (truck not nearby to check; its at boatyard) work, and also the Check Engine Light works (sadly).

I don't know if the parking lights work, I assume they do.

But nothing else works. Here is what I know does NOT work

Fan controls
Fan
Horn
Radio
Interior light
Turn signals
I have a feeling the Throttle Position Sensor is not working. It runs poorly and based on what I have read here, my TPS may be out. I didn't check it with a meter as I think the overall problem will fix it, if I find what that is. So I am not wasting time t/s that one.

I can't think of what else there is. The electrical wiring looks a mess up under the dash on drivers side, like whoever the mechanic was that worked on it pulled it all down and shoved it back up.

Is there a single item that could have taken out these electrical items? I checked the thread that was posted showing photos of where the 4 ground are in the engine compartment. I have two of them, but it doesn't look like anything factory-installed was removed. And since the engine starts, well I am thinking the problem is elsewhere.

I am not the best at chasing electrical issues, hence my plea for help.

If anyone has some ideas of where I should start...thanks. I really want to keep and use this truck and would like the heater, defroster, etc to work.

Oh, and the engine drives ok but you have to give it gas gently or it bogs down and loses power, and almost immediately after taking off, the Check Engine Light comes on. I am thinking that is the problem with the electrical to the TPS.

Sorry this was such a long post.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 PM

have you checked all your fuses?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention that! Yes I checked all fuses. The previous owner was somewhat familiar with the truck and he said he did not see any fuses or relays missing. I see some female receptacles without relays in them to the left of the drivers foot area, but it doesn't look like anything goes in them. I can post photos if anyone wants to see stuff

thanks for the reply
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Anyone?

Suggestions?

I have checked the schematic for it and was hoping there was one point in the electrical that separates the items that work on the truck from those that do not. I have checked the grounds in the engine compartment per the thread I found on here. Not sure where the other grounds may be for it, if they relate to the stuff not working. hard to know what is right or what to look for when I recieved it this way and dont have anything to revert to for reference

hoping to bump this to where it may be more visible, hope I posted this in the right area to get help.

Thanks

Last edited by AK fishing; 10-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyotas do all there switches based off a ground switch. So that means there is power to the switches at all times and when the switch is moved, it creates a ground contact and creates a complete circuit. I know you said you checked the grounds, but did you check the wires themselves. I had a ground wire from the block to the battery that wore a hole in the insulation that gave me all sort of weird issues. I replaced that and it fixed all my weird electrical issues. Check all your ground wires to make sure you have good wires.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 AM

Ok I will check, thanks. You and I have identical vehicles, if you still have the one listed in your signature.

Are there other grounds related to the electrical items not working on my truck in locations other than the engine compartment? I don't know where to even start looking. Photos help, but I couldn't find any previous threads on this, other than the fantastic one on engine grounds

Thanks for the help and reply
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea, still have the truck. I will probably never get rid of it…

There are two fuse boxes, one in the cab on the driver side up near the hood release and one in the engine compartment.

Check all the wiring going into the fuse box in the cab for corrosion. If the window has ever been replaced, the seal likes to leak and the water goes right into that fuse box. Look for scale build up...I bet your problem is in that area for all those items to be wrong.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Dome, Radio, Haz/Horn, Turn and Heater fuses. Are those the ones you checked? Only Radio and Turn are next to the driver's ankle.

This link http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1990-1995...e/powersou.pdf is for a 1990-1995, but it will give you a start on where to look.

Since you have an electrical problem, you will need a multimeter to fix it. Start by checking for 12v on BOTH sides of each relevant fuse.

And no, there is no single point that will take out all of these. You'll need to fix them one at a time.

Good luck!