Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

EGR removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR removal

now before anybody says search i did search through 12 pages of criteria and found tons of opinions and what to do when you removed it but not an actual thread that says how to remove it and what to block off if you leave the assembly on does anyone know of a thread that goes into detail or has a picture of what to block off thanks..
Old 02-11-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4Runner92sr5
now before anybody says search i did search through 12 pages of criteria and found tons of opinions and what to do when you removed it but not an actual thread that says how to remove it and what to block off if you leave the assembly on does anyone know of a thread that goes into detail or has a picture of what to block off thanks..
unbolt and pull the egr out of the plenum. hacksaw off the tube that extends into the plenum, and cut up a plate that will go in between to block flow into the plenum. re-install with plate in place.

or, pull the vacuum line into the egr and plug it.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 PM

Is the removal the same for the 22re?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You may have seen my suggestion of using a rubber stopper, cork, etc. to plug the pipe. I realise this isn't the best option, it will deteriorate in that environment. Mine was a spur-of-the-moment decision, requiring minimal effort. I was thinking good vac seal, which is critical, so I wanted to re-use the gasket. I have the metal plate method on my list of near future to-do's. Some high-temp oxy sensor safe RTV, oughta seal it up nice, or maybe some bulk gasket mat.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
It all depends on how that pipe is routed into the plenum(intake). Can the pipe be removed? How? If it can't be, you should still be able to get some effect from disconnecting the EGR by pulling the vac hose at the top of the unit, and in this case I would recommend a stopper to plug the hose end. It is better to get that pipe outta there too, if possible.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-11-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why?

Is there a problem you are trying to remedy by removing the EGR?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:26 PM

No, simply a possible hp/mpg gain. It actualy creates a problem, called GLOBAL WARMING. I have less guilt because I have no children.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
It all depends on how that pipe is routed into the plenum(intake). Can the pipe be removed? How? If it can't be, you should still be able to get some effect from disconnecting the EGR by pulling the vac hose at the top of the unit, and in this case I would recommend a stopper to plug the hose end. It is better to get that pipe outta there too, if possible.
I tried just removing the top vac hose on my 22RE last nite after we talked about it in the other thread and couldnt tell a real difference in performance. Maybe it just shows on the V6s?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah, I feel no guilt driving my tiny 22re compared to driving my cummins work truck lol...
Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Yeah, Imma pull that hose and test it. Bout to drive over to the girlfriend's house and its a ~50mile round trip, so I'll let you know what happens just by removing the hose!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by chrishf12
I tried just removing the top vac hose on my 22RE last nite after we talked about it in the other thread and couldnt tell a real difference in performance. Maybe it just shows on the V6s?
It could mean that your EGR isn't working, kinda like turnin' a light off, that's already off. See what I'm sayin'. You should also plug the hose, so it doesn't suck in debris, it's a VACUUM hose. The effects could be less dramatic with varying engines, good thinkin'. Oh, and if it isn't functioning(EGR) your work on that project is done. Because it could only fail in such a way that would do what we're dicussin' for ya. If it was the other kinda broke you'd know. Failure is either a stuck open/closed deal, functionaly.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-11-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:48 PM

No, simply a possible hp/mpg gain. It actualy creates a problem, called GLOBAL WARMING. I have less guilt because I have no children.
Not only will you likely not gain any performance by disabling your EGR but it will not increase the output of greenhouse gases.

The EGRs purpose is to reduce combustion temperatures and thus limit the formation of different Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) which are very toxic gasses.

If you want to increase performance, why don't you look at increasing the pumping efficiency of your engine?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Targetnut
Not only will you likely not gain any performance by disabling your EGR but it will not increase the output of greenhouse gases.

The EGRs purpose is to reduce combustion temperatures and thus limit the formation of different Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) which are very toxic gasses.

If you want to increase performance, why don't you look at increasing the pumping efficiency of your engine?
Sounds good, I'll do that too. Oxides of nitrogen, you mean the stuff that's in whipped cream cans, as a propellant? Or do you mean the kind you get at your dental work apointments? Oxygen is also extremely toxic in some forms/dilutions. Your EGR lowers combustion temps. That means gas burn cooler=less hp, I did My homework. Hung yourself, there.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-11-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:06 PM

It could mean that your EGR isn't working, kinda like turnin' a light off, that's already off. See what I'm sayin'. You should also plug the hose, so it doesn't suck in debris, it's a VACUUM hose. The effects could be less dramatic with varying engines, good thinkin'. Oh, and if it isn't functioning(EGR) your work on that project is done. Because it could only fail in such a way that would do what we're dicussin' for ya. If it was the other kinda broke you'd know. Failure is either a stuck open/closed deal, functionaly.
HAHA yea I replaced my egr last week b/c it was stuck open. not fun driving a truck that stalls at every light! disconnecting the vac hose keeps the valve closed completly correct? therefore acting like block off plates should? or would block offs on the ends of the vlave be better?
Old 02-11-2007, 02:07 PM

Higher combustion temperatures = detonation/ retarded timing= less horsepower.

I think you need some new study material

Unless you are looking to do extensive powertrain management alterations you will not benefit from EGR removal.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
the 22re egr valve removal requires no cutting just unbolt and fab some plates to fit the mounting locations. And dont forget to stop up the vac hoses as mudhippy said
Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 PM

O.K. , I'm back and look what with. Pay due attention to the part that explains, how GM decided to sacrifice power and fuel economy, in order to fight smog(oxides of nitrogen are also considered GREENHOUSE GASSES).And the part after, using the analogy of a "fire-extinguisher" in the description of a device to perform the funtion of the yet undeveloped EGR valve. Brilliant! Just what I wan't flowing into my combustion chamber!FIRE CHAMBER! I think that's whats missing here.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm Should add too, I've never heard of anybody getting "pinging" from the by-pass of the EGR. :complain:

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-11-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:13 PM

:bigclap: Thank you and goodnight!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 PM

questions for the Mud Hippy...

Eliminating the EGR helps MPG? or hurts it? Better MPG is good against global warming too, last time i checked...
will disconecting the vacuum tube on the EGR valve shut it and thus prevent it from being used thus make removing it unnessesary?
Old 02-11-2007, 04:20 PM

Helps.That there be the TRUE issue, or was at the time of emmissions control regulations beginnings. There is a sound arguement in favor of the view, that states more MPG=Less Emmissions. I don't see how that could be wrong, do you? I just happen to have been born too late to chime in on the decision making process. Lucky them, because this Hippy nah so dippy. And , yes that way will work to get the by-pass accomplished.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-11-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: EGR removal