Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Efi surging mystery help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Efi surging mystery help!!

Hello all,
I have an 89 runner 22re and it's driving me batty. When I start the truck I have to give it some gas and it kicks over and revs(surges) between 1000 and 2000 rpms and the tach sometimes skips wildly higher. When giving it more gas the rpms increase but the surges equally increases ,if I let off the gas it struggles to say alive and eventually dies on the low end of the surge....its weird. I have changed the fuel filter/pump, MAF sensor and the O2 sensor with no change. I unplugged the TPS and ran the truck with still no change? Checked coolant level and the little line that runs from the thermostat housing to the throttle body no clog. I pulled a Code 14 and 51 so replaced the coil...no change. The truck is at a shop now and they cannot figure it out either? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If I cant get this thing right I may jerk the EFI out and switch over to a carb I am not climbing any hills down here in Florida.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2016, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
From a previous post and how I go about things. I am sure it is one of these causing your issues.

Copied...
Glad to see you got it fixed. I was going thru your thread and seen you talking about the EGR. I have never had to replace an EGR, usually they are very dirty and have to give them a good cleaning. Setting the adjustment on a TPS should be simple and straight forward with a meter and feeler gauge which I know how to do both but the TPS, I have my local Toyota dealer to do it, he charges me 1/2 hour or $30 to set it. Well worth it to me and usually the TPS is so worn, I just replace them new.

On a new to me truck, I suggest checking and replacing the vacuum lines, clean and test all of the sensors, clean out all of the carbon, use factory OEM tune up parts, all new fluids, adjust valves, burp the cooling system, check and clear codes, set timing according to FSM or Haynes, I use SeaFoam thru the Intake and not thru the tank so as not to break up the build up in the tank and clog injectors and filter, and then see what issues come up.

I get asked how I get a motor to start up so quick and that is all the steps I do to make it happen. Usually that will also find any hack jobs previous owners may have done to a motor.

I used to be Anti-EGR and it does make a mess but I think it does help these motors last longer just because it actually cools the burn in the cylinders. You only need to clean it about every 100k miles or so and I can get everything done in a week end or a long day.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Terrys87. The mechanic is suspicious of the aftermarket cruise control at this point. They are going to test and see if that's the issue, go figure. I'll post whatever they find if they ever find it. Otherwise I will be looking for advice on how to convert from EFI to carb. Thanks again!!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have converted from EFI the correct way and it is a BIG job. Lot more to it then what you might think. Any truck I have seen converted from EFI to carb and not had the harness, tank, and Intake replaced to what it should be has always been a mess and an headache to fix. I suggest getting a donor truck and take each harness and swap it out. I will later on convert a 88 Runner to carb and will do it the correct way. I can do it easily but will say between removing the harness from a parts truck and the truck that needs converted and then installing the 22r harness, I would say it is a 40 hour job. I have done a few and helped a friend to do some and it is a long process.