86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EFI to carb swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI to carb swap

I know that this is a topic thats been visited plenty of times before, but it seems every time it comes up people talk the OP out of it, and not all of the information is passed along. I am not interested in retaining fuel injection at all. My truck stays on flat ground and plays in mud. I also had an electrical fire desrtoying most of the wiring and fuse box. I want to swap to the carb for simplicity, and alot less eletrical connections I will have to waterproof. I know someone will say something about smog so just assume this is a woods only truck. I know I need the carb intake, carb, and a vaccum/mechanical distributer. What other parts are required for what I want to do? Dont try to talk me out of it, if I cant get the info I seek Im afraid Ill have a chevota abortion on my hands. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by superdave; 05-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well, i dont think many people here have done it but my best guess would be a reverse of a carb to efi swap, the only thing i can see is maybe getting a man fuel pump put back in, shouldent be too hard, and ur gonna need some banjo fitings for the carb other than that i think ur set
Old 05-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention the mechanical fuel pump. Will my cam already have the eccentric for it or will that need to be added? I just had the motor apart too and I cant remember. Thank you for your response.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by superdave
Yeah I forgot to mention the mechanical fuel pump. Will my cam already have the eccentric for it or will that need to be added? I just had the motor apart too and I cant remember. Thank you for your response.
will the head have a block off plate that you can remove to mount a mechanical fuel pump on the front p/s of the head? I haven't had a 22RE in 20 years so I don't remember...just a thought...
Old 05-23-2009, 02:22 PM

Yes it does have a block off plate. Anyone have an idea on the fuel pump eccentric?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A 22re will not have the pump eccentric, but I don't think that's as much of an issue as some will make it out to be. Get an electric fuel pump and don't worry. It's a little more expensive but will work perfectly fine.

Oh, and it's illegal.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:55 PM

And you'll have issues with the distributor as well since the 22re dizzy doesn't have centrifugal weights, advance plate, vacuum advance / retard pull-off, etc. So an early 20r/22r points-based distributor may need to be found, then adjusted for the timing curve you want.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:56 PM

And if I were really serious about changing EFI to carb, I'd probably go dual side-draft carbs instead of a single 2 or 4 BBL carb on the stock manifold. But that's just me.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:23 PM

I think you could probably use the electric fuel pump, but you'll have to regulate it down to 5-7psi.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Well, the quote in Abe's sig says it all... I have carb, and wish I had the money for EFI. Way too much can happen with a carb, it floods, electric choke, vaccuum lines up the corn hole... You catch my drift. But I understand your want for carb, will you need to swap your air intake setup over as well?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:48 PM

I know I will need the older distributer, Im looking for the parts now. I have heard that the toyota pump has problems when regulated, any opinions? Since Abe says no eccentric get an electric pump I guess that means its not the same as on a 302 where it can be removed? its actually part of the cam? Im not doing this for performance reasons, but for simplicity, not as much water proofing to do(my truck goes swimming more than i do), and I just like carbs, the EFI on this truck has been.....troublesome to say the least. And since all the EFI crap burned up I may as well make it what I want now instead of later. I also plan a duel fuel propane set up just for s and giggle since me buddy has all the stuff to do it.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:19 PM

On the 2xR engines, the fuel pump eccentric bolts to the end of the camshaft, between the camshaft sprocket and the distributor drive gear. The 22RE has a 'shim', or washer, where the eccentric would go so that the distributor drive isn't affected by not having the mechanical pump. That doesn't rectify the issue with the 22re distributor being electronically controlled, with timing determined by the ECU.

Whether it means anything to you or not, sourcing parts for converting from EFI to carb could end up costing as much as, if not more than, finding a wrecked vehicle / donor to restore your EFI setup.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:18 PM

all hes gotta do is get a distributor out of a carb truck....? anyway i had a little cheapy carb electric fuel pump from autozone, you mount inline and give it a power and a switch and good to go, you will also need a double banjo fitting for the carb, so that when the bowl is full it just circulates back into the tank, dunno why i didint think of that earlier, get a good vacuum diagram and figure out what you can cap off, its gonna be a PIA, happy hunting
Old 05-23-2009, 06:20 PM

ohhh i want the propane setup!!!! i actually need it, my truck dies pretty regularly on the trail due to off camber situations
Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Im not sure why you think it would cost more to swap to a carb then to buy a whole wrecked truck. It just depends on the deals you can find in your area. Im not doing this because my EFI is ed up, the decision was already made, the fire just sped the need up. If I wanted to keep the fuel injection, I would just buy a harness, I can find them from $50 to $250. I know that would be the logicakl thing to do but its not what I want. I can do a carb for about $100 or I could buy overpriced parts from egay and do a weber carb and spend $500 or more easy. I dont care to keep the EFI. I dont understand why every time this comes up people cant just accept it and try to talk you out of it. I understand peoples preferance for fuel injection but mine is for a carb. If any of you want to swap parts you can have mine, and you can do what you want with it.

Abe, thanks for clearing that up on the eccentric.

Yoterr, if you want I can find out what the neccasary peices would run you, my buddy is part owner of a forklift place and can get new and used parts. I know alot of people say retrofitting forklift parts doesnt work well but Ive never seen an issue, and most of the kits use the same parts.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I want your EFI stuff!

Trade you

Last edited by Outsane; 05-23-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:25 AM

Im up for it. I wonder what shipping would cost from Orlando Fl to Cali.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 PM

I have an offy intake to sweeten the deal!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 PM

To be clear the harness burned but I have everything else. I think the TPS is bad or dirty too. Give me a zip so I can get a shipping price.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:58 PM

No problem on the harness...

If that is all I have to buy I'm not bad off..

Quick Reply: EFI to carb swap