86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ecu upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ecu upgrade

is there any places where you can send your ecu to upgrade for horse power and etc i know you can with old chevys just wondering about toyota's
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
No. Computer is so basic. All of the aftermarket ECU upgrades/re-flash just bump the timing up a little.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
No. Computer is so basic. All of the aftermarket ECU upgrades/re-flash just bump the timing up a little.
not true. yes you can re-flash your ECU. any factory OBD ECU can adjust all kinds of functions. the manufacturer made it this way so they can re-flash the computer during a recall if a problem exists in the tunning. this is one of the main reasons they started making OBD equipped vehicles.

as for who, not sure. sorry.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 PM

yea i would check with someone like LC or anyone who does add on turbos for their trucks cause i would think that they might have some info for you. keep us posted if you find anything!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM

bhays01, what kind of truck do you have? that would help..
Old 04-22-2010, 09:13 AM

Try Jet Chips they retune toyota computers
Old 04-22-2010, 04:37 PM

yotaman85, its a 1992 toyota pickup 22re
Old 04-22-2010, 04:50 PM

If you ve got the extra cash. buy a ecu from the pic a part and do the adjusting to the new ecu, so if all else fails you put your original ecu back in.
I read a post some where here about a ecu upgrade thought it was a good idea to have an "original" backup.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotaman85
not true. yes you can re-flash your ECU. any factory OBD ECU can adjust all kinds of functions. the manufacturer made it this way so they can re-flash the computer during a recall if a problem exists in the tunning. this is one of the main reasons they started making OBD equipped vehicles.

as for who, not sure. sorry.
It cannot be re flashed for "performance" there is nothing to gain. All they do is bump the timing...

If you wanna waste a couple hundred bucks on it, go for it..
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM

"If you wanna waste a couple hundred bucks on it, go for it.. "

Yupp, even if you could tune the ECU, the engine itself really limits you.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 93YotaMonster
Try Jet Chips they retune toyota computers
That's a scam:

http://www.4cefed.com/ then go to images/video in the side bar, then look down toward the bottom where it says "JET ecu scam"

This guy is/was one of the "greats" in the MKIII Supra community, and is an electrical engineer.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by allnmstkn313
"If you wanna waste a couple hundred bucks on it, go for it.. "

Yupp, even if you could tune the ECU, the engine itself really limits you.
pretty much, our computers are way to basic to be able to change anything, all those re flashing things give you is an ecu that will run your timing more advanced.

For the $300 or whatever it costs you could be almost on the way to headers for some real performance gains..

Last edited by Jay351; 04-22-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:49 PM

I stick to my guns... the ECU controls fuel also, just uses the AFM and o2 sensors to read input and output of fuel and air then tells the injectors what to do. change the signal from the AFM and o2 sensor to the ECU or from the ECU to the injector, either way. its not easy or cheap, never said it was, just said it is very possible.

make the fuel and timing curve better then it is stock, and you have flashed the ECU for performance. i guarantee the factory tunning sucks. they just wont do it from the factory. same reason they don't put high flow exhaust, intakes, balanced injectors, high energy ignitions and so on to make vehicles get more power and better fuel economy.\
cost is too high, emission suffer, it makes it too loud and blah blah blah... its a happy median for the general consumer..
Old 04-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yotaman85, what you are talking about is changing the data that Ecu is using to control the engine operation. A larger AFM or throttle body allows more air into the engine and if done right can boost performance, but the ECU doesn't know that you are not running a stock setup, so the ECU is still looking at the same sensor return voltages and is making adjustments based on the factory programing of the chips. Same goes with the injectors, add larger injectors you get more fuel per pulse, but pulse timing and width still remain the same, but if you go to large and the o2 sensor picks up a overly rich condition, the ECU is going to change the pulse width and duration and iginition timing based the factory programming. Look at 22rte, lextreme, etc (sorry if I'm not supposed to mention other boards). Toyota owners have been trying to get more out of the factory setup's for years, some have tried piggy back systems (with varied success) but most have turned away from this and gone to stand alone systems.
There was a company in California who claimed to have backward engineered a Toyota ECU, but I'm not sure what became of them and there is a guy in Japan that has a website and claims to have done the same thing, but I don't speak or read Japanese so I can't tell you if he is legit or not.
Bottom thing is, yes you can trick the ECU and get some performance upgrades, but unless it has happened recently, no one has been able to produce a commercial product that reflashes a Toyota eprom.

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 04-24-2010 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:59 AM

well you can always try mega squirt, i think its like 400 bucks but then you would have complete control over your engine. much better than lcengineering price.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:32 PM

searching around i found a place on the web called performance products you can send your ecu to them and within 24 hours it is shipped back to you with a jet chip installed with 13-15 more hp, more torque and better throttle response the price is $308
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bhays01
searching around i found a place on the web called performance products you can send your ecu to them and within 24 hours it is shipped back to you with a jet chip installed with 13-15 more hp, more torque and better throttle response the price is $308
Read the link I posted above. It's B.S.- a complete waste of your money. Our ECU's are not able to be chipped unless they desolder the ROM and install a daughterboard with a custom tuned ROM for your specific application. Read the link. I can't stress that enough.

I can guarantee that when you open your ECU, nothing but a sticker will have been added. Open your eyes, people. And I can also guarantee that in order to properly "chip" the ECU, would cost much MUCH more than $308. These companies prey on your ignorance, and judging by some of the responses in here, you're keeping them in business.

Last edited by shaeff; 04-27-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: missed a digit
Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
$308.... 13 to 15 more HP.... I'd bet a 6-pack of your favorite beer that you will NOT see a certified dyno test of this performance increase!!
Agreed. All they'll do is open the ECU, slap a sticker on the stock ROM, close it up, then put anti-tamper stickers on the sides so that when you do open it to reveal that it's a scam, your warranty is void because you opened it.

Think about it, don't you think that you'd see performance chips EVERYWHERE for these things if they actually existed? For example, I have a MKIII Supra, which uses the same basic ECU design. There are NO chips available for it because it's not possible without extensive work and understanding of the stock TCCS.

My '95 M3 on the other hand, has a chip that literally pops right out and can be swapped in minutes. There are a plethora of chips available for OBD1 M3's because of that fact. And they are tuned to what modification you actually have done.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hadmatt54
Yotaman85, what you are talking about is changing the data that Ecu is using to control the engine operation. A larger AFM or throttle body allows more air into the engine and if done right can boost performance, but the ECU doesn't know that you are not running a stock setup, so the ECU is still looking at the same sensor return voltages and is making adjustments based on the factory programing of the chips. Same goes with the injectors, add larger injectors you get more fuel per pulse, but pulse timing and width still remain the same, but if you go to large and the o2 sensor picks up a overly rich condition, the ECU is going to change the pulse width and duration and iginition timing based the factory programming. Look at 22rte, lextreme, etc (sorry if I'm not supposed to mention other boards). Toyota owners have been trying to get more out of the factory setup's for years, some have tried piggy back systems (with varied success) but most have turned away from this and gone to stand alone systems.
There was a company in California who claimed to have backward engineered a Toyota ECU, but I'm not sure what became of them and there is a guy in Japan that has a website and claims to have done the same thing, but I don't speak or read Japanese so I can't tell you if he is legit or not.
Bottom thing is, yes you can trick the ECU and get some performance upgrades, but unless it has happened recently, no one has been able to produce a commercial product that reflashes a Toyota eprom.
you are right, the computer interprates signals from the AFM and o2 sensor to control engine peramiters. it takes the signal in and puts it back out. if you change the output signal, you can change the fuel curve and timing. same input, different output.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 PM

toyota 3.4 theres the power! Agree with everyone saying its a crock lol save you pennys and do somthing worth while! 22re were never ment to have a butt load of horse power!

Quick Reply: ecu upgrade