Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Easy or Fast way to find "short" in wiring??

Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy or Fast way to find "short" in wiring??

Although I still dont have the overdrive problem fixed, now I have no tail lights or dash lights. I was wondering if there is an easy or fast way to locate where the problem is. When you turn on the headlights it IMMEDIATELY blows the fuse so there are no tail lights. I do have brake lights. I honestly dont think it is in the taillight assembly because it started when a stereo was installed....but I cant find any broken wires or exposed wires.

BTW, before you think ..."damn thats one dumb dude"...I know Im dumb...and not a dude.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Do you have trailer wiring- if the trailer wiring harness has a fault, it could immediately blow that fuse when the lights are turned on. As far as the stereo, see where it is wired to, unwire it temporarily, and see if the proplem persists.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmmmm lets see if i get this right.

If you put an ohm meter on a + wire and touch a ground point it should read very high to virtually infinit (open) resistance.

but a wire with a short between + and - will show a very small resitance on the meter.

I think you can track down a short that way, at least a quick check for one at least.

someone else weigh in on that please....
Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Thank you...I will start doing the ohm meter thing...I knew with all yall members there had to be an "electrical engineer" in the bunch.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't an easy or quick way to find wiring shorts, they can be one of the most frustating problems on a vehicle. On 4Runners and Toyota trucks the tail fuse sends power to the tail lights and all the dash lights. The short could be in any one of them.

Start by removing the fuse and checking the resistance between the dead terminal of the fuse holder and ground. With the lights turned on that'll be the terminal that does not have +12 volts. If the resistance is zero, which I think it would be, then you have to isolate the section of wiring harness that is shorted. If you've recently installed the stereo then I would start there. Disconnect it and check the resistance again. Even if there are no broken wires visible there could be an internal problem in the stereo.

You can eliminate the tail lights by pulling the bulbs and checking the resistance.

Good luck, it can take a while to find those problems.