Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Easily Removable Side Steps

Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Easily Removable Side Steps

I know, this probably isn't a very common topic on Yotatech, but let's face it, most of us use our trucks 90% of the time on the road. For those of us with significant others that are vertically challenged, it makes getting up in the truck a chore. In the spirit of peace, I wanted to at least look into the possibility of adding a "step" to the exterior of the truck for her to use, as I'm adding another 1.5" of lift to the truck with my new tires.

My question is does anyone have such a step that works well for them? And I'd ideally like to have it either as non-intrusive or as "removable" as possible for the times I do want to have a little fun. Any non-sarcastic suggestions?

Please don't call me names.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is another thread on here about this. i am not sure what it is called, search and you shall find it
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I've seen it done before by welding make-shift trailer receivers to the frame, then on the side steps welding to it the portion that slides into the receiver

slide them on, put the pins in, and viola, steps!

hitting the trails? just take the pins out, slide them out, and viola, more ground clearance

kina the same idea as these, accept longer and on the sides:

Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Himm.. interesting design. I'll have to get up under there and have a look. I don't want to weld the receiver portion in such a way it hangs down any lower than the frame if I can help it.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by My99
I know, this probably isn't a very common topic on Yotatech, but let's face it, most of us use our trucks 90% of the time on the road. For those of us with significant others that are vertically challenged, it makes getting up in the truck a chore. In the spirit of peace, I wanted to at least look into the possibility of adding a "step" to the exterior of the truck for her to use, as I'm adding another 1.5" of lift to the truck with my new tires.

My question is does anyone have such a step that works well for them? And I'd ideally like to have it either as non-intrusive or as "removable" as possible for the times I do want to have a little fun. Any non-sarcastic suggestions?

Please don't call me names.
OR you could get rock sliders... which tuck up close... so you don't ruin your rocker panels... and they dont take up space... and you can step on them.... DUH...
Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 AM

that reciever idea sounds like good but instead of welding the whole reciever bar to the frame why not just weld the 2" square tube to the frame where you want it and put a couple of gussets for strength. then use the removable step thingy that was already posted.
I have also seen (a while back) a retractable step that operates when you open the door. it extends and retracts similar the camper steps. i don't remember where i saw it or who makes it. sorry
Old 04-03-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why weld to the frame at all. Make brackets that sandwich the frame and weld the recieve to that. Next slide in the removable step, then it's totally removable.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by My99
Any non-sarcastic suggestions?
Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
OR you could get rock sliders... which tuck up close... so you don't ruin your rocker panels... and they dont take up space... and you can step on them.... DUH...

I think the trailer hitch idea sounds pretty good. Fab it up, and show us the results!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
get some sliders and weld the ends of a chain to the slider... kinda ghetto but it works..

I know a guy with a bad hip who did this
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by littlecommando
there is another thread on here about this. i am not sure what it is called, search and you shall find it
You mean this one? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/r...d-info-165644/
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Goat - I like your idea the best. Only thing is I don't have sliders.... hmm.. I think that idea, along with some sort of clamp option as mentioned above, and or with the receiver hitch idea sounds the best. Want to stay away from welding as much as possible because I can't weld, don't have a welder, and would prefer not to make something so permanent... I'll keep you posted. Thanks again to those who provided good input!
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Buy sliders. that way they will actually protect your rockers from damage. Heck I can jack up the whole side of my truck by mine!

Paint them and then spray bedliner on the tops for grip. Becuase I'l tell you, those things, when painted in only gloss black, are VERY VERY slippery!!!

Beware when you get out of your truck, I have habit of sliding out and getting crap from my sliders all over my pants..
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM

I don't need sliders, I don't rock crawl and I use 4wd maybe once a year other than occassional snow use.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats the great thing about sliders. Its not just for wheeling!

They are great just for overall side protection. On normal cars, my slider is about window level. If somebody was to sideswipe me, thats what they would hit...

They are great for walking on too. They can be bolted instead of welding. I know a guy who has a set bolted on his 3rd gen 4runner. Its a DD and sees nothing more then service roads off road.. They are just peice of mine IMO.. Saved his door from the lady beside him, her lexus door was pretty banged up, he had two 1/4" paint chips off the slider

Last edited by Jay351; 04-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:12 PM

I just had a brainstorm (yes it hurt). Rather than trying to build receivers that come out horizonally from the frame, purchase a receiver meant for mounting to a step bumper, they are pre-drilled for mounting. mount the receiver vertically pointing towards the ground, than the only fab/welding needing to be done is the lighter gauge tube for the step itself, and when the step is removed, viola nothing below the frame.

Might work, although I am planning for sliders for my truck for the rocker protection.