86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E-brake solution to rear disk swap??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-brake solution to rear disk swap??

So I'm getting ready to do the brake upgrades on my 89 runner and have been researching on here for a e-brake solution to do the rear disk swap but can't seem to find one , I know about the t-case e-brake kit for the 4cyl. But mine is a 6cyl. , and then I read about using the gm calipers off the rears of a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado that has the e-brake attached to the caliper , but have heard its a pain to hook up , so just cause it's a pain to hook up doesn't mean it's impossible, has anyone made this set up work ? Please let me know and how hard was it to make it work please !! Here is a picture of the 1985 Cadillac Eldorado rear caliper I'm talking about.
http://flic.kr/p/pTWa8Q
Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 PM

Or has anyone got a e-brake set up to work with the rear disk kit ?? Anyone ??
Old 11-24-2014, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested as well for my project.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
FROR floater set up, uses supra rears calipers that pull the same as truck OEM parking brake, http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...products_id=94. But have not come across a set to compare to SFA calipers used in the http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/yotam...t-tdb-400.html Would like the chance to take some measurements and compare different caliper/rotor combos to see if possible
Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
FROR floater set up, uses supra rears calipers that pull the same as truck OEM parking brake, http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfos...products_id=94. But have not come across a set to compare to SFA calipers used in the http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/yotam...t-tdb-400.html Would like the chance to take some measurements and compare different caliper/rotor combos to see if possible
ok cool this is great lead there kit goes into replacing a lot of parts which I'm not looking to do but I like that it comes with e-brake connection bracket and uses supra rear calipers , wondering if they would just sell me the e-brake connection bracket and brackets to mount the calipers on ? Guess I'll have to give them a call in the morning cause there whole kit is 699.00 and comes with axles, bearings and bunch of other stuff I don't need !
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why are the rear disc brakes so much better??I happen to like my Drum Brakes

I have said in the past if I was going to do this I would just get a Toyota rear axle with disc brakes and be done.

Be able to stay with all Toyota Parts.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by clok
ok cool this is great lead there kit goes into replacing a lot of parts which I'm not looking to do but I like that it comes with e-brake connection bracket and uses supra rear calipers , wondering if they would just sell me the e-brake connection bracket and brackets to mount the calipers on ? Guess I'll have to give them a call in the morning cause there whole kit is 699.00 and comes with axles, bearings and bunch of other stuff I don't need !

It's a full floater axle kit. Our factory is a semi-floater. Big difference and price.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Why are the rear disc brakes so much better??I happen to like my Drum Brakes

I have said in the past if I was going to do this I would just get a Toyota rear axle with disc brakes and be done.

Be able to stay with all Toyota Parts.
Cool, which axle are you talking about the takes a 8" Diff?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
FROR will not sell pieces to their full float kit, I know, because I tried. Ruff-Stuff makes similar adapters.
My set-up using the Supra Calipers, there are a few flaws...
4Runner FullFloat Rear disc ebrake 4 by unholyburns, on Flickr

1. Pads are very small and do not hold my rig on a hill when setting the e-brake.
2. Had to build brackets to clear the leafs, this may contribute to the above issue.
3. Supra brakes are very hard to find, but pads are dirt cheap.
4.Bleeder is on top

a solution to all of this... FJ Cruiser rear brakes. I am trying to find it, but there are a few threads that outline how to do this conversion using the FJC disc brake with parking brake drum. This is the route I will go when I go to a 4-link rear.
Read this:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...hase-ii-3.html
Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
FROR will not sell pieces to their full float kit, I know, because I tried. Ruff-Stuff makes similar adapters.
My set-up using the Supra Calipers, there are a few flaws...
4Runner FullFloat Rear disc ebrake 4 by unholyburns, on Flickr

1. Pads are very small and do not hold my rig on a hill when setting the e-brake.
2. Had to build brackets to clear the leafs, this may contribute to the above issue.
3. Supra brakes are very hard to find, but pads are dirt cheap.
4.Bleeder is on top

a solution to all of this... FJ Cruiser rear brakes. I am trying to find it, but there are a few threads that outline how to do this conversion using the FJC disc brake with parking brake drum. This is the route I will go when I go to a 4-link rear.
Read this:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...hase-ii-3.html
Awesome set up, been wanting a full floater. To bad about the parking brake. Was wondering about the supra caliper size. Want to see more about the FJcruiser set up.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I believe the Australians are big on the FJCruiser ebrake swap set-up, might try looking on some of their sites.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:27 PM

I too would love to know more about the fjc rear disk swap , if anyone has any info on this set up please post it here , gonna start looking on some Australian Toyota sites !!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RBX
FROR will not sell pieces to their full float kit, I know, because I tried. Ruff-Stuff makes similar adapters. My set-up using the Supra Calipers, there are a few flaws... 4Runner FullFloat Rear disc ebrake 4 by unholyburns, on Flickr 1. Pads are very small and do not hold my rig on a hill when setting the e-brake. 2. Had to build brackets to clear the leafs, this may contribute to the above issue. 3. Supra brakes are very hard to find, but pads are dirt cheap. 4.Bleeder is on top a solution to all of this... FJ Cruiser rear brakes. I am trying to find it, but there are a few threads that outline how to do this conversion using the FJC disc brake with parking brake drum. This is the route I will go when I go to a 4-link rear. Read this: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...hase-ii-3.html
yeah that sucks your e-brake won't hold your rig on a hill , thanks for the info !!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM

Just got off the phone with front range off road and they said they are about a month away from releasing the fj cruiser rear disk swap kit for the 1st gen 4Runner !! Gonna be kinda pricey but should be the best kit and solution to the e-brake connection !! And should have plenty of clamping power to hold your rig at any hill
Old 11-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by clok
Just got off the phone with front range off road and they said they are about a month away from releasing the fj cruiser rear disk swap kit for the 1st gen 4Runner !! Gonna be kinda pricey but should be the best kit and solution to the e-brake connection !! And should have plenty of clamping power to hold your rig at any hill
Thanks for the heads up!!! I'll be looking for that one.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the FROR rear installed on mine and I'm using v6 ifs calipers front and rear. Use a line lock for your e-brake.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 11-25-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
I have the FROR rear installed on mine and I'm using v6 ifs calipers front and rear. Use a line lock for your e-brake.
how did you get the v6 calipers to bolt up to the rear axles ? What rotors did you use ? Did you mount front hubs on the rear axles? Thought about the line lock but it's not legal in ca. Hwy. and heard some story about it draining your battery ?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:39 AM

"It's a full floater axle kit. Our factory is a semi-floater. Big difference and price."

What's the difference between full floater axle and semi -floater axle ?

When talking to the guy at front range off road he mentioned something about the rear disk brake kits out right now not using a full floater axle kit have some type of issue with the caliper piston getting pushed back in to much ? Not sure what the hell he meant thou , I'm so confused
Old 11-26-2014, 05:39 AM

I didn't piece the axle together. I bought from the guy who built it. it uses the same parts as swapping ifs calipers on the front of a SFA. just weld some mounts to the housing and you can put whatever caliper you want on it.

I did have the locking hubs on it for a while but had issues with them unlocking while driving so I put on drive flanges.

if thepistons are going back in to far sounds to me like they didn`t upgrade their brake master cylinder to have a residual valve front and rear.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 AM

and the full float vs semi float stuff http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/01...loating-axles/
Old 11-26-2014, 12:16 PM

nice thanks for the info on the floating axles !!!

Quick Reply: E-brake solution to rear disk swap??