86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

dual cases question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual cases question

ok, iv been looking into puting dual cases on my truck and ran across a few questions, i tried searching but couldnt find much.

first question- when you add on the another crawl box do you have to stick with both shifters coming out of both boxes or is there an adapter to have both sticks coming out of the stock location. id much rather not have to remove my center console nor mod the floor paneling.

second question- say i dont have the money to buy a crawl box just yet but want to upgrade my armor and buy a budbuilt cross member skid plate, will it work with just one transfercase? or will it just not fit because its desgned for a 10 degree rotated t-case.

i know i have to chop my drivelines already so no need to explain that, but any information will help, thanks guys

vehicle info:3rd gen 89 pickup ext cab sr5 3vze R150f tranny, vf1a transfer (i believe 23 spline), and axles are stock 4.56's if that matters.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

t-case

to run two cases you have to have too sticks. You want the two sticks so you can choose what gear range you want to be in-low or extra low.

i dont think you can rotate your t-case with the marlin 10 degree with out doing the dual cases, the ten degree rotation comes from the adapter plate that goes between the two cases
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havent seen any kit to relocate the shifter.

You would need to buy 2 - 4cly cases and an adapter to mate the R150 to the 4cly case.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 AM

yea i saw the marlin setup for 6cyl tranny to 4cyl case back to 6cyl case adapter,

i know i want the two sticks i just dont want the back one to pop out where my center console il located, i was hoping that there was a way to have it come out so both sticks come out in the stock location.

and i know the rotation comes with the adapter plate, what i want to know is will the skid plate work with just one case and no rotation.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen very clean jobs done with the second t-case stick coming out of the center console.

this is from scotty's rig with addicted offroad

Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I have a bud built skid/crossmember in my truck, from what I was told it would work with just one case. I would also recommend a set of quality transfer case mounts like 4xinnovations sells (http://4xinnovations.com/pages/drive/casemount.htm)

Here is a link to Drsmash's Triple Stick for dual cases (not sure if it can be mounted forward in the stock location)
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690898

Sounds like you are on the right track. This last weekend was my first wheeling trip with my new suspension and dual cases...I was amazed at what my truck could do...no more redlining to get over a small log.
still getting used to the 20 forward speeds and 4 reverse options:

2.28 in front case with 4.7's in the rear
Still working on cleaning it up for some kind of console that looks good. I really like what Scotty did with his (been admiring it for awhile)...I can never seem to find 4Runner center consoles in decent shape...
Old 02-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can move them a few inches with a dog leg shifter (make one or Marlin sells them) But I think 3" is about the most you want to try and move one, otherwise the shifting gets real sloppy.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Mt. Goat: seeing yours and Scotty's installs make me think I need some carpet
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
You like the plush look?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM

wow mt goat, that look really clean! i never even thought of bringing it up through there. i really like it, how did you seal the new hole? how did you attach the second boot? i think im gonna do this one.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kinzer
wow mt goat, that look really clean! i never even thought of bringing it up through there. i really like it, how did you seal the new hole? how did you attach the second boot? i think im gonna do this one.
More details here:
https://www.yotatech.com/1001175-post195.html
Old 02-24-2009, 12:06 PM

thanks goat, ill def use your post for step by steps if thats the way i decide to go. your turned out really good.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You like the plush look?
not so much the plush look but maybe the lower cab noise carpet would help bring
Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

not so much the plush look but maybe the lower cab noise carpet would help bring
Yeah, it also helps hide all the extra wiring.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM

one question goat, why did you have to move BOTH shifters forward? did the 3.4 swap kick the tranny back? if so do you think i will have to extend the sticks forward too or not at all?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

one question goat, why did you have to move BOTH shifters forward? did the 3.4 swap kick the tranny back? if so do you think i will have to extend the sticks forward too or not at all?
Yeah exactly, in my case the adapter used to put a 94 gear driven transfer case behind a 2001 Tacoma tranny and the marlin dual case adapter put it too far back. You may not need to move one or both like I did.

The beast before it went in:

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-24-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine come up through the change cup also, looks pretty good, need to work on some boots to make it really pretty though.

NOTE: if you use a standard type crossmember like a Budbuilt, you won't gain any ground clearance by the rotated adapter. To really benefit, you need something like the FrontRange Offroad crossmember (which won't work with the chain drive case you have and the MC10 adapter your'e talking about). The rotation won't hurt anything, though.

You can use a stock crossmember with dual cases or a dual case crossmember with a single case. Using the stock or a single case crossmember will be hard on the tranny and motor mounts though - especially if you do 4.7's in one of the cases.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tc
...NOTE: if you use a standard type crossmember like a Budbuilt, you won't gain any ground clearance by the rotated adapter....

...Using the stock or a single case crossmember will be hard on the tranny and motor mounts though - especially if you do 4.7's in one of the cases.

so if the bud build wont gain ground clearance then it wouldnt work with the rotated adapter correct? or am i wrong?

and how would that be hard on the mounts exactly? too much torque on a weak mounting system? it seems like the front range cross mem would put alot of stress on the transmission to crawl box bolts becouse there's no center mount.

i looked up the frontrange mount and really like it. but let me get something straight, to get maximum clearance i could do a crawl box mod to have dual cases, using the 10 degree rotated adapter, plus a front range10 degree rotated cross member and skid plate combo, correct?

thanks for all your help guys
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM

first question- when you add on the another crawl box do you have to stick with both shifters coming out of both boxes or is there an adapter to have both sticks coming out of the stock location. id much rather not have to remove my center console nor mod the floor paneling.
A triple shifter gives you all the control in the stock location...
Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Add some curtains while you are at it to match your purse and heels.

Quick Reply: dual cases question