86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver's side window comes off track and hard to roll up and down

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's side window comes off track and hard to roll up and down

I have a 92 pickup, 2wd, 22re with manual, non-vented windows. The driver's side window comes off track easily and is hard to roll up and down. I took the door panel off and put the window back on track and greased the moving parts. I did this a while ago so I don't remember if there were any bolts or screws to tighten but if there were I'm sure I tightened them. Doing this made it easy to roll the window up and down but it came off track again after a couple days. From what I remember the window was still glued to the regulator slot. So should I just replace the window regulator? Is a worn window regulator necessarily the problem? There are a couple brands of regulators available on partsgeek.com in the $30-$50 range:Replacement and Dorman. If I should replace the regulator which brand is better? Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody's chimed in yet... I have very limited experience with the window except that it got in the way when extracting the lock.

I would recommend reproducing the issue with the door panel off so you can see what's going on (maybe you already did that).

Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Don't think there is much to tighten or adjust, usually worn out and needs replacement I have kinda the same issue but not that bad but I'm sure it will be, I was looking at the yard and most years have seen the same wear and tear therefore hard to say if getting a used one is worth the time. Haven't heard on aftermarket replacements as far as quality goes I would like to know what route you take and how the aftermarket works if you go that route post your results with whatever you decide

And of course like mine I'm sure your passenger is like butter due to it gets used 90% less.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM

could be a worn regulator. i'd also take a close look at the actual channels that the window glides in. not sure if they bolt down or are rivited in, but if its flopping around the window can come out of the channel.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM

There should be some plastic guides and rollers on the window regulators that can and will wear out. As mention above, open the door panel and see if you can see where the window is popping out.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Reckon you already know what it looks like but here is a photo for everybody else.

This is the 80's version
Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  17.4 KB
And a replacement howto link

And the 90's diagram. LINK

Should be able to tighten up the rotation points with a hammer and rivet punch, but thats just an assumption on the lower(spring) one it might be a thru bolt to a nut. Pretty sure there is a bushing inside the spring that might be worn. If the rivet or bolt has torn out you can hammer weld and file it back into shape.

For the cost I'd try a hammer adjustment, but if you can't fit your hands in there easy you might be best off just replacing it.

PS.
I think I found the part i've been wanting in that window diagram. seems a little cheap to be the exact part I want but thats OK cause I need it even if it is just the teflon/plastic plate. 69272. ... it's just the washer still need em