86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drivers side drum adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers side drum adjustment

Hola, I've got a driver's side drum that won't come free, looking at the shoe inspection hole reveals that the shoes have worn a massive groove into the drum, so the lip won't let it slide off. (both are toast and will be replaced)

I'm trying to adjust the star wheel, and I'm able to do that (slowwwly) but my question is this:

I got the passenger's side off, and it looks like the adjuster is standard thread (clockwise). The mechanism on the driver's side is the same, but obviously reversed. Does anyone know if the driver's side adjuster is reverse-threaded? It seems like it would be, based on the way the pawl engages it to make adjustment, but I can't see enough of the thread through that little whole to tell for sure.

I just don't want to be turning on that thing all afternoon only to find I've tightened the shoes.

if it matters, it's 2wd, and the drums are single solenoid, look like the bog-standard models.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
There's a couple things you need to know...

1. Both sides are the same as far as adjustment. Whatever applies to one side, applies to the other.

2. The way that the brake shoes are adjusted via the adjusting screw allows for them to be manually adjusted tighter without having to disengage the adjusting lever. But, without disengaging the adjusting lever from the adjusting screw the brake shoes can't be adjusted looser. This is due to the shape of the teeth on the adjusting screw and the way the adjusting lever engages them, which prevents loosening of the brake shoes. And is also the reason why adjustment via the adjusting lever(by application/release of the parking brake) can only tighten the brake shoes. Not only that, but it makes it extremely simple to figure out which direction the adjustment screw needs to be turned to tighten or loosen the brake shoes too. BTW, up is tight, down is loose. Though I could have told you this first, you wouldn't have known why.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake03.pdf

Last edited by MudHippy; 11-05-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
even with the shoes adjusted all the way in the released position, with a big groove that drum may still not come off. often times i have to take a sledge hammer and bust the drum into pieces to get them off. takes a few good whacks, but they will eventually break apart. then you'll just need new shoes, new drums, and probobly a new hardware kit.