Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Drive shaft broke of at yoke and U Joint..TRUCK WONT DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive shaft broke of at yoke and U Joint..TRUCK WONT DRIVE

Guys...so first of all im lost and need u guys help..so a few weeks ago while driving my drive shaft (the one that connects the transfer case to the rear diff) snapped of at the yoke and tore the u joint up...
I just removed the drive shaft and wanted to move my truck to a new spot because it would get towed..so I locked the hubs and dropped it into 4L and put it into first gear and the truck would not move. I look under and see the front drive shaft spinning and making a weird noise like tin cans rattling..but its not engaging the axles..so i drop it into 4H and still truck does not move..
Now i know it should move in 4H or 4L ..I have no idea what to look for next...
Any help would be awesome..

Thanks in advance
Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

Roll the rtuck back and forth a bit.... sometimes you need to motivate the hubs down on the axles.

If that doesn't help, well obviously you might have a bigger issue. If it has been a while since you last used the hubs, the grease can make em sticky.

How did ya get it home when the rear drive shaft busted? Tow?

Last edited by flecker; 07-22-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM

yeah i towed it home..let it sit for a few weeks then got a if u dont move it we will tow it..sticker..so i thats when i started on it like an hour ago..
Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Do you have hubs? Did you lock them? If it's IFS and your hubs are locked try moving the truck forward about 10 feet and try to get your hubs to engage. If it's ADD without hubs you have bigger issues.

Edit saw it's an 87... If your hubs are in fact locked and it's still not working your going to have to tear them apart and grease them up to get them to engage.

Last edited by UKMyers; 07-22-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM

yeah they manual locking hubs..i think i have to move the truck back and forth to see if they engage...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Myron
yeah they manual locking hubs..i think i have to move the truck back and forth to see if they engage...
Also try tapping them with a rubber mallet to see if they engage.

With the rear rolling they usually get enough jarring around and movement to engage. In your case with the driveshaft out, you pretty much have to help them engage by other means.

Try a rubber mallet, roll it back and forth some.... if all else fails take the dials off and push them down, or remove the hubs all together and put a light coat of new grease in em.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 PM

Okay another thing i found out while pushing my truck..is that if its in 4H or 4L and its in first gear..I can still push it and it will roll...is that normal with out the drive shaft disconnected..Now when i put it in gear and switch through gears..the spedo works..so something is working the truck is just not moving..tried rolling it back and forth tonight and no luck....any other ideas?????
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Was it converted from a.d.d? Your front end isn't locking. If the front driveline spins with no load then there isn't a problem at the tcase end unless it's something serious. Which I doubt. Both hubs are locked in correct? If so take em apart and make sure they are actually working correctly. If it was originally add then it most likely is a vacuum issue and isn't locking the shift fork in te front end.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Was it converted from a.d.d? Your front end isn't locking. If the front driveline spins with no load then there isn't a problem at the tcase end unless it's something serious. Which I doubt. Both hubs are locked in correct? If so take em apart and make sure they are actually working correctly. If it was originally add then it most likely is a vacuum issue and isn't locking the shift fork in te front end.
Its manual locking hubs..i turned then to lock..pushed the truck atleast 1 car lenth..to thry to engage it..but the funny thing is ..i pushed my truck while it was in 1st gear..and still rolled in 2nd gear..would it be locked in 1st gear and u have to engage the cluth for it to move ?????
Old 07-23-2010, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, without a rear driveshaft, yes, you can push your truck in gear and the truck will move....With no physical connection from the rear diff to the transmission, there is nothing to stop the rear diff and therefore stop the truck from rolling.
Now put the truck in 4WD....

Check a few things ....

Does the front drive shaft turn when you put it in gear....??

You need to isolate the problem from the transfercase or the front end.

If the front drive shaft turns, then you have power to the front diff..

Make sure your hubs are locked in..

If they are and the truck still does not move under its own power, take the front hubs apart and verify their operation....

Like stated above. Pull the dials and engage the hub gears manually. This should get you moving...
Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by b4wheeler
First, without a rear driveshaft, yes, you can push your truck in gear and the truck will move....With no physical connection from the rear diff to the transmission, there is nothing to stop the rear diff and therefore stop the truck from rolling.
Now put the truck in 4WD....

Check a few things ....

Does the front drive shaft turn when you put it in gear....??

You need to isolate the problem from the transfercase or the front end.

If the front drive shaft turns, then you have power to the front diff..

Make sure your hubs are locked in..

If they are and the truck still does not move under its own power, take the front hubs apart and verify their operation....

Like stated above. Pull the dials and engage the hub gears manually. This should get you moving...
Okay..so this is what i did..I put it in 4WD..Now when i put it in gear..the front drive shaft spins..the wheels hubs are locked in place...pushed it like a car lenth so i can help engage the axles and nothing worked..

Now what do you mean "Pull the dials and engage the hub gears manually. This should get you moving..."

Last edited by Myron; 07-23-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM

what he means is to remove the "dial", which is the switch between lock and unlocked.

6x 10mm bolts and its off and i will look like this

now your hub is going to look like this. "Free Position". The clutch ring is pulled away from the vehicle. This is how the hub disconnects from the driveshaft.

Now, you want it to be in the "Locked position", with the clutch ring pushing towards the vehicle, sliding over the CV axle splin, and transfering power to the wheels. It will look like this when it is "locked".

(notice how the spring pushes it away, and thats how you can tell if your hubs are working properly inside. It should be easy to Lock the hubs. (going with the spring pressure) and harder to Unlock (working agains to the spring pressure). If it feels the same, the clutch ring isnt sliding over.)

So what you need to do, is get that clutch ring over the CV spline and your golden. This is a good time to clean up your hubs and get them working properly . Dont use to much grease. They dont need much.

hope that helps

more info on reconditioning them : https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...4runner-76353/

Last edited by raboyto2; 07-23-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:00 AM

Man raboyto2....i wish you had pics..i should be fine because i replaced both cv boots and half axles but its always good to see what you talking about..
Thnx for the info tho..
Old 07-24-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Tcase is probs done
Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
Tcase is probs done
doubt it, he said his front driveshaft spins. I didn't see if he said his CV's are spinning though.

x2 on taking apart the hubs and manually engaging them.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Okay guys found the damn problem..Last year when i did my half axles i replaced the driver side and only replaced the boots on the passenger side (thats one side i did first then after all that said damn..too much work just gonna replace the whole damn thing on the other side)..come to find out the passenger side(dominant) the axle is not engaging at the knuckles.. when the front drive shaft spins..the joint closer the the tranny spins but the outter knuckle doesn't..so thats the reason my truck is not moving in 4 wheel drive..so im going to replace the half axle tomorrow also how do i remove the yoke from the drive shaft and how do i remove the ujoints ???

thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
doubt it, he said his front driveshaft spins. I didn't see if he said his CV's are spinning though.

x2 on taking apart the hubs and manually engaging them.
i should learn how to read
Old 07-30-2010, 06:21 AM

Thanks guys for all your ideas and advice..I put a new axle shaft on greased up the works..and now drives nice..dont want to drive it because i heard it will mess up my transfer case so until i get a rear drive shaft..not gonna use it.

So i search the forum and cant find a thread on how to remove the U Joints..Any tips and trick on that.???