Old 05-27-2008, 01:22 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Downey Headers vs. "Y" Pipe Mod?

Downey Headers vs. "Y" Pipe Mod?
which one is better?
Price?
Performance?

Anybody have experience with ether, id like know.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What???

Your gonna need a y-pipe regardless unless you do true dual but youll still want to cross them.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's some pix of my exhaust w my Downey headers. Definitely recommend installing w heads stripped down to make for room, is pretty tight. A body lift also makes this go a lot smoother, but definitely is still not an excuse for having a body lift (I have no excuse... there is no excuse...).

As far as performance, I definitely noticed a crisper throttle response. And I'll tell you I definitely had a hp improvement, but that was also after a top end rebuild and getting my injectors cleaned, so I'm sure it was playing a minimal role in the hp gain. I went 2 1/4" all the way back so I'd still have decent backpressure for long descents and what not and I am really glad I went this route. I can come down a 10% grade on the highway in fourth doing 90 km (or 5th doing 100 km) and never have to touch the brakes. Oh, and wheelin down steeps in first, four low? what brakes?

It sounds silly. I'll admit it. I've had people come up to me and ask me if its a v8, but I honestly would never confuse it for one. It's loud (esp at 3000-4000 rpm, really cracks open), and has a higher toned reverberation to it that quite frankly just makes me laugh.

I paid around 720 cad for my downeys if I remember correctly, including shipping. I ordered them from an offroad shop in vancouver, bc (north shore off road, GREAT shop, btw) so as to avoid customs. I think my exhaust install came out to be around 275 including a new muffler. I remember everything being around a grand.

I got the installer to bend the exhaust around my transfer case as you can see in the pic. It is above the skid plate for the t case, so pretty well tucked out of the way. Does not affect my clearance at all.

I had heard stories of these headers frying starters, so I went w the more expensive ceramic coating, which supposedly doesn't get quite as hot. However, I also rigged up a little piece of tin (that I attached to the long bolt holding your starter down) that wraps around the bottom of my header and (hopefully) reflects most of the heat back up, away from mr starter. And he hasn't crapped out yet on me (been over a year and 20k km). Also there are some brake and electrical lines to bend/tie out of the way, but that is pretty straightforward. Here's a pic, the green border shows the tin cover around the starter, and the red shows the brake and electrical lines that need to be kept clear. Also, the last pic shows how close the headers are to the starter, and my tin reflectodevice. Hope this helps.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For my 3.4