Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Doug Thorley header install with automatic trans

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Doug Thorley header install with automatic trans

I am going to purchase a set of thorleys tomorrow while my heads are out and I'm freshening up my top end. I only found 5 speed installs and in 2 threads talk about relocating and flipping the transfer cooler which is not a big deal. In one thread and only one I read something about a new cross member needed because the auto sits lower? Any automatic thorley guys out there? What kind of gains if any on the automatics?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Is this going on a 3.0? I'd say save your money and put it towards something more effective... the only thing you'll notice from these is a decibel level increase, take my word for it. if I could go back and do it all over again, i would've just swapped the motor
Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 PM

I'm more than happy with my 3.0 I'm not really looking for performance, my manifolds are all broken and while I am rebuilding the top end I'd like to throw headers on. Watching your videos I was impressed
Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

btw werent you just giving me advice not even 48 hours ago
Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Is this going on a 3.0? I'd say save your money and put it towards something more effective... the only thing you'll notice from these is a decibel level increase, take my word for it. if I could go back and do it all over again, i would've just swapped the motor
Nooooo. Say it aint so. Headers are on my list and your truck was the best info out there. You cant say you dont want them.

However, I want to add headers to help the engine breathe and to help reduce the chance of a burnt valve. I wish I had a 5sp though. One day I may swap it but I am lazy.

E

P.S. My truck came with a rebuilt engine with only 30K miles on it so I think a swap to 3.4l would be a bit of a waste for me.

Last edited by vwluv10338; 01-06-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 PM

Information for automatic guys, they will work I just got off the phone with summit and they researched and called me back.

I found this thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cooler-212430/

In post#1 he states the "directions say" to move the transfer cooler rearward so that means Thorley is aware of automatic installs with the 505c. Hope this helps anyone in the future. Order placed
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
Information for automatic guys, they will work I just got off the phone with summit and they researched and called me back.

I found this thread
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...cooler-212430/

In post#1 he states the "directions say" to move the transfer cooler rearward so that means Thorley is aware of automatic installs with the 505c. Hope this helps anyone in the future. Order placed
Where did you order from? Summit?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
You can obtain the headers from Summit Racing, they have amazing service... just call them and they'll get what you needed...

But honestly, the way I see it. What did i spent $1,000+ dollars on and was it worth it? My opinion? huge waste of money, and i'll explain why using a pro/con graph.

pros:
-slightly lower engine bay temp
-preventative maintenance on the HG? ( possibly )
-shiny manifolds ( but they get dirty, and the shiny ceramic coating burns off within seconds and becomes a faded gray color )
-better air flow for a louder exhaust result ( could be good, could be bad... dependng what you like)

cons:
-price vs results
-a absolute hassle to install ( not worth the headache )
-one of the smog related meters does not bolt back up to the block, therefore, you fail smog ( unless you've modified a hose that can bend back up to the correct mounting spot, like I did )

Sure the headers may ( or may not ) fix the HG problem, but theres still others. pistons, rings, valves and other engine mecahnics eventually go bad with the motor. Just swap a 3.4 in and call it good. it bolts right up to the engine mounts and transmission. Personally, if I were to do it all over again, I would've put the cash towards a much useful addition. like a rear bumper, dual cases, or maybe even long travel.

not to mention, with a 3.4 swap you open yourself up to a ton more aftermarket selections. you can also pump the ponies up to 250 easily with a URD kit and a TRD supercharger. if you feel like going all out you can optain 400-600 horse and still get 18mpgs city...

Also, if you have a cracked manifold, just replace it. i'd rather spent 150 bucks at rockauto.com for a new manifold with gaskets and studs than put 600 dollar headers in. Lets face it, everyone's intention with a 3.0 is to swap it someday, and the stock manifolds last 200k easily.

I'm just trying to help out, not trying to dock the product.

just my .02.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 01-06-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM

I appreciate the info MaK but honestly I'm not worried about shiny parts, or how difficult a task is on any vehicle. The heads are off anyway, as a Toyota Master Tech I have personally rebuilt and repaired more 5VZE and 22RE vs 3VZE that have gone through the V06 campaign properly. I think the 3.0 is under powered, but it is a wheeling rig and it has suitable power for my needs, I do drive the truck everyday but I'm not racing around or anything like that, infact even if my heads were on they would go into my truck in under 2 hours as there is ZERO options in my truck except p/s, I don't think I even have 5 vacuum lines running off the engine. As far as smog I have my ways around that because my truck has not has any emitions in 6 years. I think most Toyota motors are over-rated unless you get into the J blocks or UZ motors. Thats just my opinion on things from the amount of side work I do and work in the facility. I think the 3.0 is very under credited, just as much as IFS is. As far as rock auto goes, its factory parts(my cost) or upgraded for this truck

As far as other upgrades for my truck... the truck is no where close to stock trust me, the 1000 dollar cost will cost me the price of the headers and thats it, I have means to do whatever else needs to be modified to my existing hi flow cat etc

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 01-06-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 AM

I installed the thorley headers on my 1990 auto 4runner while I was replacing the longblock. It was easy to do while the engine was out. I'd never driven the truck with out them so I can't really say that it made an improvement in power. The truck feels underpowered, because it is, but it has plenty of power to get you where you need to go. Supra's are for going fast.

I bought the headers mostly because the crossover pipe pissed me off while removing the engine and I figured it wouldn't hurt to make things easier to remove later and hopefully make the headgaskets happier. I would not have done it had the motor been in the rig. I still need to permanently mount the transfer case cooler, but thats another day.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by kwnate
The truck feels underpowered, because it is, but it has plenty of power to get you where you need to go. Supra's are for going fast.

LOL so true