Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Door won't open from the outside (1994 truck)

Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Door won't open from the outside (1994 truck)

Hi.
The passenger door to my Toyota truck will not open from the outside. I took the panel off, and this is what I found:

Perhaps it's easier to see in the first picture, but there is a rod just laying there.

One day the door just stopped working - the window wouldn't roll all the way down (because of the rod, I know know), and the door wouldn't open from either side. Recently, when I tried to take of the panel, I managed to get the handle on the inside working - but I don't know what to do with this thing.

The outside handle does not seem to be connected to anything on the inside of the door, and that is the only thing not working, so I assume it has to be connected somehow, but I can't figure out where or how.

The lock does still work.

This is my first time trying to fix something like this myself....I feel like I'm close! But stuck.

Anyone have any tips?

If I have to live with a door which doesn't open from the outside, I will - but if anyone has any tips, please share! I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BryanWithAY; 12-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Better pictures would certainly help, however this should be an easy fix so long as the handle isn't actually broken.

On the inside of the door handle, look with a flashlight. use one hand to lift and release the exterior handle, and watch the pivot point. The rod should attach to that pivot through a small hole in the lever. There is supposed to be a small plastic clip that holds the rod to the handle and allows it to rotate within the lever.

It's much easier to understand if you're looking in there. It's been a LONG time since I've had my door panels off, probably 6 years, and that was to replace the driver's side lock with one that matches the ignition and passenger door so I'm just going from memory.

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 AM

[QU
Thank you!
I'm afraid that it might be broken, because pulling on it doesn't accomplish anything (like opening the door). I'll pull of the other panel to see what it's supposed to look like.

Sorry about the picture quality, all I have is the camera on my netbook!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 AM

That doesn't matter, weather the handle is broken or the rod fell out of the clip, you'll have the exact same symptoms.

If you look on the inside of the door where the handle is you'll see another rod coming off the lock cylinder. If you're not sure what I'm talking about have someone turn the key in the lock while you look in there, you'll see the rod moving.
Up where the rod meets the lock cyl is a colored plastic clip that holds the rod to the cyl.
There will also be one on the upper part of the door handle for your loose rod.
Either the clip or the plastic hole the clip sit's in is broken, or the rod just fell out.

*If you remove that round black rubber piece that's sitting in the inner door frame up by the lock release you can see in that way too. It's a little larger than a quarter and just "plugs" a hole in the metal.*

Last edited by alltracman78; 12-30-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:56 PM

Smile

Hi,
I got it fixed! It was that little plastic piece, I had to go to the Toyota dealership to get a new one, only cost a few bucks... Couldn't have done it without some added confidence from this forum, so...thank you very much!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent, congrats!