86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does Knock Sensor code = knock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does Knock Sensor code = knock?

I've purchased a gem full of gremlins recently. I get one bug out and a new one surfaces. I have chased down a poor running problem consisting of a TPS. But I have also had a 52 code intermitten. More on than off, but it has gone away.
It is back today and I can here a light knock at idle. It is like a steady pop pop pop that increases with acceleration only to maybe 1200rpm and then she winds out like a raped ape no skips or bumps. It can't be an actual lower end knock (I sure hope), the motor is fresh and gave no signs of this before today.
Any ideas, I'm all ears, or should I just drive it out of it. This car sat for like a year and every time I drive it starts to feel better and better, but when I got home from work and got out to open the garage, there was the pop pop pop. Advice PLEASE!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
absolutely not. code 52 is only an electrical problem. it basically means that there is a short in the knock sensor circuit. i'd pick up a new connector, and rewire using coax cable. ground the ECU end of the sheild to a known good ground, and rejoice in happiness at your regained power, better gas mileage, and un-retarded (lol) timing.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:52 AM

"i'd pick up a new connector, and rewire using coax cable. ground the ECU end of the sheild to a known good ground, "

DO you mean the connector on the knock sensor? and what do you mean "the shield"?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The KS wire is sensitive to electrical noise. As such using a shielded cable to prevent noise sometimes helps.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 PM

yes, a new connector for the knock sensor. i'd say yours has put in enough time.

as dcg9381 stated, the shield in the coax cable will help prevent electrical "noise" from disrupting the signal to the ECU. if that signal is interrupted in any way, you'll get a code 52.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:44 PM

still scratchin my head? HELP!

I used a coaxial cable to redo the knock sensor wire and I still have a code 52 and sometimes a 51.

Maybe I did something wrong. How do I ground the coaxial?

Could I actually need the knock sensor?

Where do I get a "new connector"?

Also, the car runs pretty decent, but a little rough when cold, but it is 22 yars old. any more input would be great, I also get a 21, but i figure when I was running rich with the bad TPS I fouled the O2 sensor out and I don't wanna buy another till all the other gremlins are worked out.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 PM

if you're still getting an intermittent code 52, i'd double check your wiring, and make sure the signal wire isn't shorting to ground, or the shield (which should also be grounded)

51, if i remember correctly, isn't that the TPS code? (or i'm thinking of my supra...)

you *might* need a new KS, but it's unlikely, as they don't normally go bad unless you break them. get a new connector for the knock sensor at the dealership.

not too sure if you'd "foul" out the o2 sensor from running rich, unless it's REALLY rich.