Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do NOT Buy A Gorilla Winch.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do NOT Buy A Gorilla Winch.

as ya'll may remember i stuck my atv in a small creek,and used my truck to pull it out .
got home bought a gorilla winch, installed it, took it back to the same creek, that i crossed this time, and started to winch up this hill. the winch did fine the first time, but on the second pull the drum that holds the cable BROKE, allowing the cable to get between the casing and the drum. well i finally got the cable unjammed, and got stuck in the creek going out this time. i had to use the winch and was able to keep the cable on the good side of the drum.

called gorilla when i got home about my problem, and the guy wanted to charge me freight for the drum and new cable, and i threw a fit, and he said he had made a mistake, and thought the winch was over a year old, so there will be no freight charge. oh i forgot, they forgot to ship the parts the first time i called them, this was the second call were the guy wanted to charge me freight.

took the winch apart last night and there are metal shavings out the wazoo in the gears. heavy sigh.
so i am going to call them this morning before they ship out my parts, and ask for a new winch.

i am going to give gorilla one more shot, and if i have any problems it goes back to the chinese, and i will buy a warn. which my cheap %$# self should have done in the first place.

THE END
Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems.
There is a reason that Warn costs more than the others.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Wow... sorry to hear that. A buddy of mine was thinking of getting one for his truck! I did some research on it, and I told him no, not for his truck, but I noticed they are quite popular with the ATV crowd. Maybe it was just a bad one?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM

go with Warn it defently worth the extra few bills..
Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is a good idea to use a snatch block so it spreads the pulling load of the winch and reduces the strain.
but that does suck, sorry to hear.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 AM

What size was the winch? What was it's rated capacity?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

it is rated for 3000#. my atv weights about 500#. i could of used yesterday when i flopped the atv on it's side.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry. you get what you pay for, i would be very careful about buying chinese parts
Old 06-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

hijack on hey corey, nice sa in your avatar!

hijack off

lee
Old 06-29-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tortis

i am going to give gorilla one more shot, and if i have any problems it goes back to the chinese, and i will buy a warn.
Just FYI, a lot of the components in a Warn winch are made in China....
Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 AM
CJM

Smittybilt is the only cheap winch I would ever buy, otherwise at least a mile marker but better yet a warn.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Smittybilt is the only cheap winch I would ever buy, otherwise at least a mile marker but better yet a warn.
Smittybilt is mile marker....same winch...

This is part of a "smittybilt" winch

Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 PM

If your atv only weighs #500 lbs...couldn't you just have used your Yota to pull it out with a simple $40 strap?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
Smittybilt is mile marker....same winch...

This is part of a "smittybilt" winch

Interesting. Mile marker isnt bad tbh either. I would be willing to blow the cash on the smittybilt vs a warn b/c so far every review I read praised the crap out of it.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by dutchboy
If your atv only weighs #500 lbs...couldn't you just have used your Yota to pull it out with a simple $40 strap?
Most places folk ride ATV are far far from their trucks on trails no suited for anything larger than an ATV.

I used my truck as an anchor so i my buddy could winch his quad out of a pit. The yoter couldnt pull it out. Not enough traction in the goupy mud pulling a 500+ lb quad out of a deep hole.

They've needed it on many many other occasions. It isnt practical to rely on a truck do a winches job
Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
so far every review I read praised the crap out of it.
That wasnt the impression I got from some of the reviews
Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 AM
CJM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
That wasnt the impression I got from some of the reviews
The ones I read, everyone said it was worth its money for what it could do.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
The ones I read, everyone said it was worth its money for what it could do.
Yes.....I would agree with that.....there are just some minor quality control issues (to be expected, I suppose) ...nothing major
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 PM

gorilla not worth the time too install

Originally Posted by tortis
as ya'll may remember i stuck my atv in a small creek,and used my truck to pull it out .
got home bought a gorilla winch, installed it, took it back to the same creek, that i crossed this time, and started to winch up this hill. the winch did fine the first time, but on the second pull the drum that holds the cable BROKE, allowing the cable to get between the casing and the drum. well i finally got the cable unjammed, and got stuck in the creek going out this time. i had to use the winch and was able to keep the cable on the good side of the drum.

called gorilla when i got home about my problem, and the guy wanted to charge me freight for the drum and new cable, and i threw a fit, and he said he had made a mistake, and thought the winch was over a year old, so there will be no freight charge. oh i forgot, they forgot to ship the parts the first time i called them, this was the second call were the guy wanted to charge me freight.

took the winch apart last night and there are metal shavings out the wazoo in the gears. heavy sigh.
so i am going to call them this morning before they ship out my parts, and ask for a new winch.

i am going to give gorilla one more shot, and if i have any problems it goes back to the chinese, and i will buy a warn. which my cheap %$# self should have done in the first place.

THE END

I have a 2007 700 efi arctic cat I tryed to save some money on a winch i purchased off ebay it worked great the first few times used but when stuck in mud it not only let me down but the rest of my buddies it chewed up the gears and that was trying to pull out a small 400 lbs machine not mine, a buddy with a 1500lbs warn pulled him right out and i have the 3000lbs gorilla, a new warn is on its way
Old 09-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Ramsey winches are very good also, but your looking at Warn prices if not more. The majority of pro towing outfits use Ramsey / Jerrdan.

Quick Reply: Do NOT Buy A Gorilla Winch.