Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Difficult to put in to first gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Difficult to put in to first gear

Hello, I am a new toyota owner and i have been having a small problem with my rig. The problem is whenever i go to put it in gear (it is a 5spd) it is very difficult to put in in gear. I put the transfer case in N and it makes it easier to shift through the gears. but when i put it back in 2H 4H OR 4L it is hard again. Also, if i work the transfer case a bit it makes it a tad bit easier. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? And by the way i have a 1999 4runner sr5. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:51 PM

I put this in the wrong spot
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 PM

I have this Problem with my 1991 3.0 4x4. What I do is slightly let out the clutch then it tends to go into 1st easier. But my rig has 300k on the original trans so its most-likely worn out.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 PM

yeah what he said ^ things just wear out, you can try adjusting your clutch throw under your dash, there should be a nut on a rod running into your clutch. try running the nut in or out (i cant remeber which does which) so the clutch grabs more or less on your flywheel, that should hensce slow your input shaft down makeing it easier to go into gear, im sure im being confuseing on how im wording this so hopefully someone who can re ederate what i said wil chime in, adjust your clutch!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
First make sure it's not a clutch issue...from stopped if it goes easy into reverse with the motor running then you know its not clutch related.

I'm no gearbox expert, but IMO jigling the transfer case lever possibly may lead you astray and mask a bad tooth or syncro issue in the gearset.

Someone may be able to let you know if syncro issues can be checked - possibly you can check by the difference in selecting 1st with the motor running vs doing the same with the motor not running, I'm not sure.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 AM

mine will only go into first if im going less than 20mph or so. Ive heard there is nothing wrong they were just made like that
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 AM

Check to make sure your clutch bracket isn't cracked. I thought my clutch had gone out but it ended up just being a broken clutch bracket. Once that was fixed it was like having a new clutch.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that first and reverse do not have synchronizing gears on the old Toyota 5 speeds.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked the clutch fluid yet? Transmission fluid? Start with the basics when trying to find a problem.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:49 AM

ive checked the fluids and my buddy who is a yota master tech at a dealership told me to try to adjust my clutch first and then go from there, also ive been told it might be the seat bushing...IMO i just think the clutch is going
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by serbmilan
...adjust my clutch first and then go from there...
Good advice.
...it might be the seat bushing...
I doubt it, but it might help a little bit to replace it. Just don't expect much improvement with this issue, if you decide to. In fact, it may not help at all(whether it "needs" replaced or not).
...IMO i just think the clutch is going
Even if it were, that wouldn't likely be the cause. IOW, I can almost guarantee it's not caused by a worn out clutch disc. Maybe, if like the FSM says, the clutch disc has become warped(out of true, excessive runout), the lining is broken(in a way that would simulate it being warped), or the disc's splines are dirty or burred(where it rides on the input shaft). But just from the lining wearing out(wearing too thin)? No way. That won't cause a hard to shift/will not shift condition.

At this point you/we hope it's some other problem with the clutch components that's causing it, and that you don't need to repair/rebuild/replace the transmission.

Good luck!

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Update: the truck is shifting much better now...i think it was something having to do with the transfer case...tank you everyone for the advice
Old 08-24-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You're welcome...I guess.

So how/why is it shifting much better now?

Care to elaborate on why you're still thinking it has something to do with the transfer case? Because that doesn't make one damn bit of sense to me.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:18 PM

I honestly am not sure how to put this but after i worked the transfer case (driving in 4h and 4lo) and putting it in N and just running through the gears at idle it just started to make it easier to shift in 2h

I hope that explains it a bit better
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nieb15
Check to make sure your clutch bracket isn't cracked. I thought my clutch had gone out but it ended up just being a broken clutch bracket. Once that was fixed it was like having a new clutch.
This.

Also, ONLY use GL-4 gear oil in the Toyota manual transmissions. GL-5 is a no-no in them.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to tell you but the transfer case is not the problem.
If you think of how the clutch works when shifting into first gear, you push the clutch in which separates the engine and transmission and the trans is able to be independent of the engine, so the engine is free to spin at whatever speed without affecting the trans.
Then you are able to shift the transmission into first as the transmission is spinning at a speed slow enough to shift or not spinning at all.
So only a few things can cause the issue, the clutch not able to release completely(release the transmission from the engine) could be damage in the clutch assembly like bad pressure plate, bracket or a hydraulic issue.
The transfer case will not affect any of these at all as the transmission has no idea if the transfer case is in 2wd, 4wd or neutral it drives the same regardless. A plain worn out clutch disc will not be the issue either as it will be the opposite, easy to get into gear but wont go anywhere since the disc is to thin to make contact with the engine and trans at the same time.
If the issue is not the clutch releasing completely and is having an issue getting into first, then that is when you start thinking rebuild, replacement or something along those lines.

Last edited by James Woods; 08-24-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:02 AM

Try pushing the clutch in, wait a few seconds and try to shift to reverse, if it grinds than the clutch isn't disengaging, if that's the case then rebuilding the transmission won't help.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nieb15

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that first and reverse do not have synchronizing gears on the old Toyota 5 speeds.
This is the best advice I have seen yet! IDK about the syncros... But I do know that if the clutch pedal bracket moves AT ALL while pushing the pedal, its cracked, or is about to crack... Even the slightest movement in that bracket means the clutch is not fully disengaging... which would make it hard to put in gear.
The shifter seat bushing has no effect on it going in gear, a worn seat bushing (from my experience) will only lead to it pooping OUT of gear....

Do yourself a huge favor, and check on that bracket... It only takes a few seconds to check, and even if its not the problem, at least you can rule it out.... I'd put $ on that bracket needing to be reinforced tho...
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Another update: After it was working fine all yesterday i get into it this morning and it was hard again...i did the reverse thing and the gears would grind and it would not want to go into gear...but as the truck warmed up it became easier to shift...i think i am going to replace the clutch fluid as i am starting to think this is more of a clutch issue
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
changing the fluid is good and all... but I'd still put my $ on the bracket....
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM

How do i check it...push the clutch in and look for any movement in the bracket?

Quick Reply: Difficult to put in to first gear