86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Did I bend a valve???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I bend a valve???

Good day everyone, I appreciate being able to post here. I have never been on a site before but I am stumped. I have rebuilt many 22RE engines and have never had a problem before today.....I'm curious what everyone thinks.

I did a complete rebuild, had the head surfaced and had the cylinder honed by an extremely reputable ASE machinist.

I put the head on the block (with the head gasket installed). I put the rocker arm assembly on and bolted it down to the block with the factory 58 ft/lbs. After that, as you guys know, I was trying to get the cam sprocket on the camshaft. I put the crank bolt in and attempted to rock the crank back and forth to get the chain tensioner to suck in to provide the slack to get the cam sprocket on the camshaft. I noticed that when I was tightning the crank bolt that it was getting tighter than I would expect to turn the crank over (without spark plugs installed). I stopped and scratched my head about why. I tried to wiggle the rocker arms on the #1 and #4 cylinders. As you guys know at TDC compression for #1, the rocker arms on #1 and #4 should be loose. I did not mess with the adjustment nuts/screws of the rocker arms after dissambely of the original engine. However, the rocker arms for #1 and #4 cylinders were not able to be wiggled after installing the head with the rocker assembly. I had to loosen the rocker arms on #1 and #4 and then the engine would turn over with ease. I am worried if I might have made contact with the valves on #1 and #4 cylinders. I cannot imagine how this would happen as it shouldn't........I would appreciate any input/experience that any of you have to offer. Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. I will pay it back, I promise.....I'm wondering whether you guys think that the valves might have bent because of this???? Doesn't make sense does it??? I have never had this happen before!!!

Respectfully,

Brian
Old 03-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this might help, but im thinking your good...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/2...uestion-71733/
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks man, I appreciate the reply. The thread that you sent me to seems too vague. Nobody seems positive. I'm thinking that if I was able to turn the crank before the head was on and I was able to turn the camshaft before it was attached to the block that it must be an interference engine. Because after I loosened the rocker arms, I WAS able to turn the crank.....I just don't understand how that could happen. I could understand if the cam was rotated 90 degrees but when the #1 cylinder is at TDC and the cam sprocket has the dot on the sprocket is at TDC AND the camshaft lobes on cylidner #1 are NOT pushing up on the rocker arms how the HELL any of the valves in that cylinder could contact the piston head. The ONLY thing that I can think of is that way too much metal was machined off of the head or the camshaft lobes were too large. The first of which would cause the valves to be too close to the piston head at factory settings. The second would cause the rocker arms to press against the valve springs too much beause of the overly sized cam lobes pressing the valves into the piston head at TDC.......This is still just driving me crazy as to how this could happen.....Thanks guys....I appreciate it.

Respectfully,

Brian
Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM

the 22re is interfearance for sure,to make sure valves are not bent you can use a cyl leak down test .i bent a couple on a chevy luv about 12 years ago.i now put engine and head to tdc and loosen rockers way loose before setting head down .i used my compression tester to check for bent valves too. hope ithis helps good luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 PM

oh btw i had been building engines for a long time then,mostly big cats n detroits though still i should have known better.i replaced alot of valves for people who did just the same thing too.i hope yours arent good luck
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 PM

Thanks guys.....I am not going to take a chance. The leak down test showed a 10% difference between #4 and the rest of the cylinders... I am taking it back to the machinist to be sure....It's not worth it you know!!! Thanks to everyone's replies and help. I really do appreciate it.

Brian