Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Dashboard bulbs

Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dashboard bulbs

So I've got the 1994 4runner and it's dash is pretty dark at night. Three or four bulbs are out and I've got to replace them. Two questions, how hard is it the tear the dashboard apart to get at all the lights? and has anyone replaced the standard filament bulbs with LED's?
I did a full conversion of LED's on my Acura TL and it turned out nicely. Just would like some info in anyone has run into issues or tricks to make that dash come off easier.

Thanks,
JMT
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a post about this...Search it
Old 09-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pulling the dash out is a PITA. It took me hours to do, just to fix something that took like 2 minutes.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...4runner-75767/

its not the EXACT link, but the steps should get you by...
the dash isnt that hard to do, but then again, it was the first time that i did it... now its a breeze...
Old 09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Contributing Member

It sure was hard for me the first time.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 AM

well, if you ever need help with it again, then im just about ten minutes south of sac... and ive had my dash apart several times changing the stereos and trying to wire stuff uo, so its second nature now...
Old 09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the offer. I'm actually only in Sac a couple times a week now. I still don't like taking the dash out. A friend of mine had an old F*rd, and that dash was like 6 bolts.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM

these ones are too, albeit with a few thousand clips and electircal plugs to disconnect... lol...
Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah, the dash is a lot of fun to take apart, but it's gets quick and easy after you do it about 8 er 9 times, lol

I replaced my bulbs with some green LED bulbs that I got on-line, and I'm not impressed at all... their not near as bright as the filament ones that were in there before, and the next time I get reason to take the dash apart I'm taken em out.

Also, the LEDs fool the dash light dimmer switch too because of the less power it takes to light them, so if I turn the knob I either just have on or off, no in between, lol
Old 09-04-2008, 05:19 PM

That link for the Indiglo gauges is just what I needed for this project, thanks for linking me up. I've got it about a quarter of the way off right now, that should help me get it off. I agree with you guys, the first time you do something like this it's really hard because you don't know what will break or not break and how to pull the cowl off the dash.

Thanks for the help!
John
Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
yeah, the dash is a lot of fun to take apart, but it's gets quick and easy after you do it about 8 er 9 times, lol

I replaced my bulbs with some green LED bulbs that I got on-line, and I'm not impressed at all... their not near as bright as the filament ones that were in there before, and the next time I get reason to take the dash apart I'm taken em out.

Also, the LEDs fool the dash light dimmer switch too because of the less power it takes to light them, so if I turn the knob I either just have on or off, no in between, lol

Oh man, the cluster is friggin EASY to pull out. I can get mine out in under 5 mins easily.
I dont know what kind of leds you have, but mine work great in the dash. They are very bright, the dimmer works (to an extent) Right before they go completly dim they will just switch off.

Just incase you wanna know....

Cluster uses:

3 #194 bulbs ( 2 more for the blinkers)
and 2 # 194 bulbs (all the warning lights use # 74 too)
Old 09-06-2008, 07:36 AM

My 1990 Surf with LED conversion in the dash....

Wasnt too hard to do, it does suck pulling the dash tho...
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
the main thing I dont like about my LEDs is how they light the dash... the light is "patchy"; it doesn't spread out... it's bright right where the lights are, and it fades everywhere else...

can kinda see the same effect with yours cbr
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 AM

yea it does, you can really see the patchy look at night...someone recommended filing the bulbs down a little bit, but i havent felt like pulling my dash again...
Old 09-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

They shoot light from 5 sides and are far less patchy than other LEDS, plus they are completely controllable from the dimmer. I'm in the process of adding an oil pressure and temp gauge from Autometer and I've lit them with the same bulbs. I'll try to get pics posted, depending on how successful I am building a two gauge pod.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
x2!!

I used the WLED-x5 leds from superbrightleds.com. Heres how my dash looks.. In that picture the bulb on the drivers side was only half working, I fixed it but never took another picture...

Don't forget the heater (bad picture)

I also replaced the lights in the ashtray, most of the idiot lights, turn signals and my corner lights.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They really do make a difference. i loved the difference compared to bulbs with condoms. i used bright white and black lights in different areas.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:41 PM

that looks great guys... i have a friend of mine in our scion car club that is the electrical/led guru, and he warned me that the LEDs will give off patchy light... imma order some of those WLEDs and show him what for...
Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

They shoot light from 5 sides and are far less patchy than other LEDS, plus they are completely controllable from the dimmer. I'm in the process of adding an oil pressure and temp gauge from Autometer and I've lit them with the same bulbs. I'll try to get pics posted, depending on how successful I am building a two gauge pod.
can't wait to see the final product!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:56 AM

I've ordered from superbrightleds.com, autoillumination.com, and V-Leds.com in the past for the Acura. They all have the newer types that shine the light multiple paths instead of straight forward like a flashlight. Some are even coming with metal heat sinks to prevent overheating in the instrument panel.
Thanks for the numbers that those sockets take, that helps when I'm ordering the new bulbs.
There are more sockets in the Acura so the light doesn't really defuse like it does in the Toyota. It's going to be bright white 5 star bulbs for the dash, and some #74 wedge bulbs for the idiot lights.
I'll post pics if I get this done in the near future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard bulbs