Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

that damned clutch pedal bracket got me

Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that damned clutch pedal bracket got me

to all those who have done the clutch pedal bracket on the 2nd gen 4runners/pickups. it would appear to me that i have to remove a part of the steering column/knuckle part in order to completely remove the clutch pedal bracket... yes or no? i have hit a dead end and would love to avoid removing that steering column if i dont need to

thank you toyota brotherhood

...and yes i did search this forum and didnt find the info i needed
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us.

It is possible to remove the bracket without taking the steering column apart or taking the pedals off, at least on my 1989 2wd pickup. If you've disconnected the clutch master cylinder and the brake booster and removed all the other bolts holding it in, the bracket should be loose. It's a tight fit, but you can rotate it clockwise (toward the gas pedal) and pull it out. I removed the trim under the steering wheel, which may have helped. I got my bracket welded up in exchange for two boxes of donuts and a case of pop at my local welding shop.

When you put the bracket back in, I found it much easier to take the brake and clutch pedals off. If you do this, get the bracket roughly where it needs to be and reattach the clutch pedal before you secure the bracket in place. Otherwise you can't put the clutch pedal bolt back in, at least not easily.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM

You can but its much easier to take the column out. its only like 4 bolts. I fixed mine in a couple hours. Just lower the column down onto the seat. Don't take it out completely.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM

I had to take mine out and weld it. Mine broke at an intersection in Flagstaff, AZ., about 350 miles from home. I was able to "bailing wire" the thing back into some sort of horrible mess, but I was able to drive it home. The OEM bracket is crap. Best to Weld the old one, add some plates to beef it up, making sure not to cause interference with the pedal, and put it all back. There is a top bolt on the bracket that need attention as well, make sure you put that screw back. I did unbolt the column as I recall, it's really not a big deal. Good luck with it.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
totally forgot to make my success post..sorry guys, im a yotatech failure.

I ended up doing what the other guy said and unbolted the brake and clutch master cylinders because i had a "derp" moment and didn't realize the bracket was also secured by those bolts. long story short, my problems were resolved and my truck was back on the road shortly after thanks to this forum. Thank you my fellow yotatech members! and if any of you happen to be fellow chivers, KCCO!!!!