Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Damage to 3VZE heads

Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damage to 3VZE heads

So Im on a mission to rebuild my 3VZE.......AGAIN! I had the whole motor done last time cause the block needed to be bored and the heads and motor resurfaced. I slapped it all together and threw it back in. The guys who rebuilt my motor didnt know that I needed to have the TTY bolts replaced with this rebuilt so sure enough the motor blew the head gaskets again. I also didnt know at the time.
I caught it in time so the motor didnt over heat or suffer any real damage. As Im in the processes of tearing the motor down I noticed when I took the cams out the grooves where the cam sits are pitted and also the bearing caps have the same marks. What the heck happened???
It really looks like some rocks got in between the cam and the cam bearings and just chewed them up nasty. Check out the picture for the damage.
So what can I do about this? Will I be able to have the heads resurfaced where the cam sits? And what about the cam bearings? Can those be resurfaced also or do I have to buy new ones?? Need some input guys!
Attached Thumbnails Damage to 3VZE heads-0322000745.jpg   Damage to 3VZE heads-0322000745a.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure what caused the problem, but I bet it had nothing to do with the head bolts being reused. If you look at the FSM the headbolts are not marked as a "non-reusable part" The TTY status is a myth apparently. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...68cylinder.pdf

If you read the instructions on the retorque procedure (EG77) it just says:
If any bolts is broken or deformed, replace it.
and
If any one of the bolts does not meet the torque
specification, replace the bolt.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-22-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's still wise to replace the headbolts, i'm getting 8 in a kit from a guy and i'm going to buy the other 8, might as well replace ya know...it just gives me peace of mind
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
it's still wise to replace the headbolts, i'm getting 8 in a kit from a guy and i'm going to buy the other 8, might as well replace ya know...it just gives me peace of mind
Definitely peace of mind that one doesn't break while retorqing it. That would be a real bummer for sure. I don't know how they think you could tell the bolt wouldn't "meet the torque specification" until it was too late and it broke off in the block.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-22-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:06 AM

wow man...I just got done doing a 3VZE also. That's frustrating, the only thing I can think of would be that the bearing caps were over-torqued, or out of order. If they didn't torque the heads down with new bolts, it would be very possible they didn't use the FSM torque specs. If they say they did, then maybe their equipment needs to be re-calibrated. What a bummer bro, and more importantly what a PAIN IN THE A$$! Also, being in Vegas, you know that Vegas=sand, and sand is everywhere...maybe something did get in there. Ultimately, I would find a machine shop that can give you a quote, someone who does it professionally. I took mine to a car quest and they did an awesome job. They replaced all seals and lubed every contact point. It was a little high, but you get what you pay for IMO. I guess, unless you do it yourself, then you can never know the truth of how your stuff is put together. Wish you luck and patience man.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
cam bearings

Thanks for the input guys but can these places in the head be resurfaced or is the head junked now? And what about the cam bearings? Would I have to get a hold of some used ones or can they be resurfaced too?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 AM

I am not sure man...I'd call a machine shop and ask a professional. I THINK (not sure) you will be ok with lubing it. I don't think resurfacing these points is going to be an option. If you increase the size of these areas then your cam will vibrate as it turns and ruin your heads completely, valves will not operate properly, etc... Resurfacing these points are going to increase the clearance between your cam and the bearing caps. Cheaper to go to a junk yard and find a wrecked one. HOWEVER!!!! if you do go to a junk yard, make sure that you get the right heads! Determine if you have a hydraulic tensioner or a spring tensioner....it is head specific! Be sure your engine matches the one you take from. It is possible to switch the heads but you have to do some machine work...Ive done it...not fun, but it is possible. I'd call a machine shop and get advice from them. Good luck.

Last edited by pisc2bn; 03-22-2010 at 09:49 AM.