Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CV hitting

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV hitting

Hey all, so I have an 87 4runner and just finished putting a 4.56 diff in the front. Only problem is that the nuts from the diff/CV contact the LC arm alignment bolts.....what the hell! Drivers side cv, perfect, passenger side...at best I can get 1-2mm clearance only. I don't see(with a straight edge) anything bent either. Crappy Trailmaster 4" lift in it. Thanks for any info
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can ya get some pics of what you're talking about?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 PM

not right now no. If you were looking down on the front diff from above the vehicle...passenger side where the cv bolts to the diff. The nuts on those studs hit the alignment bolt on the lower control arm.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Side shafts aren't fully seated or the rear mounting bolts bound up to early, just guessing can't see it
Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 PM

what do you mean by not fully seated? Damn picture nazis
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kambc
Damn picture nazis
The best description in the world will still render any responses just a guess without any type of visual conformation. I know the world wide web thing is great, but there are limitations with just descriptions. Hate to say it, but your description is vague at best, which will render any and all responses...just guesses. I hope this dynamic I describe is not news to you.

Honestly, what you describe it could anything in the front end being off. Besides, what is a LC engineering arm? See what I mean about being vague.

Pictures or I hope you can figure it out yourself...
Old 03-09-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
reading failed "LC arm" not "LC engineering arm". Anyways...

Did you drop the crossmember? Did the bolts slide right in or have to be forced if you did drop the frame crossmember? If the frame is slightly tweaked the bolts won't slide in easy, this would eat up some of your space.

Sloppy bushing at the front, more space lost. Rear mount bushings, pre binding or hard, more space lost.

After looking at some other pictures, #1 #2, my new guess is your control arm adjustment bols and nuts got direction swapped (nuts go to the outside), and maybe you still need to tighten the mounts up more.

It shouldn't sit low enough to interfere, and the bolt heads shouldn't stick out far enough to contact should hit the control arm lip before the bolt head.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
The best description in the world will still render any responses just a guess without any type of visual conformation. I know the world wide web thing is great, but there are limitations with just descriptions. Hate to say it, but your description is vague at best, which will render any and all responses...just guesses. I hope this dynamic I describe is not news to you.

Honestly, what you describe it could anything in the front end being off. Besides, what is a LC engineering arm? See what I mean about being vague.

Pictures or I hope you can figure it out yourself...
Yo, I used to like sitting at home internet wheeling to
Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
reading failed "LC arm" not "LC engineering arm". Anyways...

Did you drop the crossmember? Did the bolts slide right in or have to be forced if you did drop the frame crossmember? If the frame is slightly tweaked the bolts won't slide in easy, this would eat up some of your space.

Sloppy bushing at the front, more space lost. Rear mount bushings, pre binding or hard, more space lost.

After looking at some other pictures, #1 #2, my new guess is your control arm adjustment bols and nuts got direction swapped (nuts go to the outside), and maybe you still need to tighten the mounts up more.

It shouldn't sit low enough to interfere, and the bolt heads shouldn't stick out far enough to contact should hit the control arm lip before the bolt head.
yes, dropped the rear crossmember so the diff would drop right out. never removed the alignment bolts though, didn't want to throw off the alignment. The nut on the wrong side got me excited, but they are on the correct side. Trying to borrow a digital camera so I can post up a picture.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that happens to me after i add spacers to lower the front differential.i just loose differential mounts, with a pry bar push the diff back to increase the clearance and tight the bolts again.