Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

CV axle rattling in front hub

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV axle rattling in front hub

Straight on photo of the CV. Has gaps all the way around it.
The size of the gap around my cv
So for the last year or two my truck sometimes makes a horrible rattling from the front left corner of the vehicle. Pretty sure it is coming from the driver side front wheel. I dug into it after an especially obnoxious noisy trip going to find something hot that would indicate a problem. Anyway, what I found was that after I pulled the cap off my wheel hub and freed my CV to move around there was a big gap for it to move around in. My assumption is my loud rattling noise is because of this. Can anyone tell me what piece I am looking at? Looks copper from my view. Is it part of the hub? I doubt it is a wheel bearing but had anyone had this problem and what do I need to do to fix it? Sorry for the amateur question
Old 03-12-2017, 11:53 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

That is the spindle bushing (steering knuckle)

Was there lots of bronze shavings when you took things apart ??

From the picture that bushing looks to have worked its way loose

With the hub still on you should never see that bushing it sits inside of the where the hub nuts thread on .

I can understand that your front axle was making a racket and vibrating to no doubt

The interesting question is if the steering knuckle is ok and you will be able to reinstall a bushing
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Yes, I too think that bushing is shot. The good news is that the bushing is about $15. http://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/show...rimLevel=18292

You are likely to have trashed the end of half-shaft, but rebuilts are easily available for about $60. http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/c...false&model=cv

But you could have also damaged the spindle itself (cracks). Here's the manual: http://web.archive.org/web/201204242...17steering.pdf
Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you both. I have never torn the spindle apart on that truck, just rotors and CVs. There really weren't any brass shavings in there that i noticed but it is packed full of grease so maybe it hid from me. I think I will get that bushing on the way and see how far that gets me. I can always just pull the cv and drive the thing till I get the parts and put it back together.