86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control

Just thought I'd share this about the cruise control unit on my 4runner in case someone is googling for help in the future.

My cruise was not working. I know it operates off of a vacuum line, so I took a look at the line. It was connected to the purge port of the charcoal canister. Not going to work that way. I traced where it supposed to hook up and found that someone had taken the line from the three-way vacuum connector on the passanger side of the intake and plugged it into the two port valve on the back of the intake where the charcoal canister is supposed to vent. Swapped out the lines and it works fine.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's always nice to be able to diagnosis and fix problems yourself.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 AM

was the light coming on when it wasn't working?

Originally Posted by jacked_72
Just thought I'd share this about the cruise control unit on my 4runner in case someone is googling for help in the future.

My cruise was not working. I know it operates off of a vacuum line, so I took a look at the line. It was connected to the purge port of the charcoal canister. Not going to work that way. I traced where it supposed to hook up and found that someone had taken the line from the three-way vacuum connector on the passanger side of the intake and plugged it into the two port valve on the back of the intake where the charcoal canister is supposed to vent. Swapped out the lines and it works fine.
My '89 22RE SR5 truck cruise was no longer working when I got it back from major surgery this past summer (entire motor out of the truck for a long block rebuild). I can live without it, but it's nice to have as an option. And I have some long trips coming up.

Can I ask, jacked_72--was the cruise light on the dash coming on when you hit the on button on the steering wheel (assuming your controls are steering wheel-mounted) before you got it working?

I can't get my cruise light to come on. I'm assuming that something didn't get hooked back up. I've checked the ground wires as described in this post.

There's the possibility that the button in the steering wheel died, but that seems unlikely.

So that's what I'm wondering: if you hit the round button on the steering wheel to turn cruise on and the light doesn't come on, could it be because the cruise control failed some kind of self test (meaning perhaps the vacuum hoses are not connected properly)? Or is it only because it's not getting power?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM

No, the light was not coming on when it wasn't working. I'd suspect something to do with the vacuum line. I'd be thinking they plugged the wrong line to the cruise control actuator unit when they put the motor back in.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by jacked_72
No, the light was not coming on when it wasn't working. I'd suspect something to do with the vacuum line. I'd be thinking they plugged the wrong line to the cruise control actuator unit when they put the motor back in.
Cool. Good tip. I had been operating from the assumption that it wasn't getting power and/or completing the circuit. But I couldn't find anyplace where it looked like the wiring wasn't connected, and all the grounds were reconnected.

Any chance you could take a picture for me of your motor with all vacuum lines routed correctly?
Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM

photos of my rig under the hood

Originally Posted by coloradotom
...Any chance you could take a picture for me of your motor with all vacuum lines routed correctly?
Took pics of my cruise control and the hose that runs from it:

Look right?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:21 AM

Here's how mine looks on the V6 and where the vacuum line goes into the intake manifold.
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control-img_1166-1-.jpg   Cruise Control-img_1167-1-.jpg   Cruise Control-img_1169-1-.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
jacked_72: is yours 2wd? The ADD is usually Tee'd into the cruise control line at the filter.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
jacked_72: is yours 2wd? The ADD is usually Tee'd into the cruise control line at the filter.
Nope, 4x4 22RE. 1989.

EDIT: Oh, I see you were commenting on jacked_72's pics...