Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

crossover to cat pipe fun

Old 10-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face crossover to cat pipe fun

Well i recently developed an exhaust leak on my truck. I figured it was after my cat since i have a catback exhaust installed. I wasn't worried at first thinking meinkie's 1 year labor warranty would cover it. Nope. it was in front of the cat right by the 02 sensor. This is a problem since i have an inspection appointment this week on wednesday (inspection is up this month).

They give me a quote of $250 installed which would end up a lot being more since they would need to replace the original 02 sensor (126k miles old). I was told 2 days to get the parts and a few more to get installed. This seemed outrageous to me at the time.

I than went the local Monro muffler shop. The guy there told me $350 just for the pipe. plus 2 or three hours of labor to install it. I found this ridiculous and just left there.

I called up the local advance auto parts and purchased the pipe and an new o2 sensor. Since this is a stock bolt-on piece this shouldn't be too hard of an install (I have a nice air tool setup). Grand total came to $172 for the pipe and a new 02 sensor. The parts will be in tommrow morning and I have the day off so it worked out GREAT.

Now my truck has had 3 diffrent cat-back exhausts (2 stock 1 custom). and a now this new pipe. Both fenders have been replaced. The driver side needs replaced again. The quarterpanels were fixed but drivers side is starting to bubble again. The tailgate was replaced. The hood was replaced.

since winter is coming i figured its a great time to share that RUST SUCKS and I hate all of you that live on the west coast.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have probably read all the posts about using OEM O2 sensors, and not bosch, but if you bought a bosch or even a generic, take it back beofre you install it. Go to sparkplugs.com, or http://www.densoproducts.com/ and get OEM for 60 bucks or so.
If your thinkin, "Duh, who is this guy?" at least someone else might need to read this.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That what you get for living in a town of CHEATERS (Steelers lol)

jk

Number one reason why I wont live on the east coast, or anywhere that they salt the roads. I like my vehicles to actually make it over 200k, and well beyond so they make it worth my purchase.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:00 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They dont use salt much anymore since it ruins people cars and iirc a class action lawsuit happened once b/c of it.

They use sand mostly now, my T100 is 10 years old and I am sure it was in salty conditions. Some small surface rust on the frame I will remove, but nothing to worry about. What the salt really eats is the yota wheels where it tends to pit them.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CJM
They dont use salt much anymore since it ruins people cars and iirc a class action lawsuit happened once b/c of it.

They use sand mostly now, my T100 is 10 years old and I am sure it was in salty conditions. Some small surface rust on the frame I will remove, but nothing to worry about. What the salt really eats is the yota wheels where it tends to pit them.
most states still use salt. PA and ohio def. do, its dumped everywhere, every winter.

Update: Advanced Auto can't find eaither of the gaskets i need neither can any auto parts stores. Guess i have to pray the stealership has them on tommrow or tuesday morning
Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM

HM. Both the o2's in my 4Runner are Bosch. Been in there 3 years and still going.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by gonzo
HM. Both the o2's in my 4Runner are Bosch. Been in there 3 years and still going.
How's your mileage?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
How's your mileage?

I get between 180 and 225 miles a tank full. I haven't bothered checking the milage. It depends
I have alot of weight in it also. Air tanks, chains, tools, compressor, spare parts and more. Also run 33's.
So I don't think it's doing too bad on mileage
Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Update: got the gaskets today from the stealership.

By the time i had my tools ready and the compressor filled itself it started getting dark outside (rain not night time). I only had time to cut off the clamp that attaches near the tranny. the bolts connecting the pipe to the cat got destroyed as soon as i tried to break them. I tried my air rachet and couldnt even get them to budge. Harbor Freight is taking FOREVER to send me my high speed air cutter which would have made this job about 20,000x easier. There was enough gap for the a sawblade but i didnt have a sharp enough blade. I was than cut off a section of the pipe to get more room for a drill and a screw extractor..Than it started raining

thanks to this lovely weather i now have open headers! yahoo..man does it sound terrible.The rain is showing no sign of letting up and my inspection is tommrow. Now im going to have to pay them to do it..wonderful

Im really angry right now