Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Crankcase Position Sensor?

Old 09-30-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankcase Position Sensor?

95 22re.. i understand there isnt a crankcase position sensor but is there something that takes its place other than distributor? heres symptoms...on ocassion like once every 3 days vehicle is hard to start...it just cranks..and cranks and then finally starts but barely and rpm are very low and its rough for about 30 seconds then its fine...runs like a champ as always....can turn it off and it will start up fine and run fine...couple days later same thing...has new plugs, cap, rotor, wires, new fuel filter,and even a new coil...other vehicles ive worked on with these symptoms 99% time it was crankcase position sensor but since it looks like 22re dont have a CPS cant be that...problem is just starting on ocassion..every other time it starts immediately up..so anyones got any thoughts id appreciate them..also codes are clear and it hasnt thrown any codes ....thanx....G
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Does it seem to be when it's cold? Maybe cold start injector not working.

Also try jumping the fuel pump connector and pressurize the fuel system before you try to start it. Maybe the fuel lines are draining while it sits.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by aztoyman
Also try jumping the fuel pump connector and pressurize the fuel system before you try to start it. Maybe the fuel lines are draining while it sits.
Agree. Sounds like a leaky injector.

This guy https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tarted-273539/ figured it out and cleared the problem with injector cleaner. That may or may not help (you may have a "bad" injector, not "dirty"), so you should do aztoyman's test first.

Or, you could have a bad check valve in the fuel pump, so the pressure is draining back into the tank. (Or, a bad fuel pressure regulator -- once you get this far in, you'll need a fuel pressure gauge to be sure you're going in the right direction.)

Last edited by scope103; 09-30-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 AM

no, it did it yesterday after driving for about 45minutes, stopped at store went to leave same thing..after cranking for while finally started up..got home, turned it off..start right up perfectly no problems..re started it 10 times and started perfect every time...injectors were recently cleaned....thought about fuel pump but usually that would show up in performance but vehicle runs like new, plenty of power no problems...thought about ignition module as symptoms seem to be starting related but lot of $$ to be wrong and i thought ignition module would send code if it wasnt running right...i ll look at fuel pump again...
Old 09-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
IF you have a leak (injector, FPR, check valve ...) it will take a few minutes (I have no idea how many) to leak down. So if you go into the store for 10 minutes it will leak down, but if you shut it off and restart it "soon" (1 time or 10 times) it will not have leaked down.

So start by letting it sit before you try starting it. If that makes it harder to start, try aztoyman's test. All very easy; no wrench required.

If the difficulty restarting is not time dependent but possibly temperature dependent (only when warm, but not all the time, and independent of how long it sits as long as it's still hot) you might have vapor lock. There is a Fuel pressure-up for that purpose, and you can run the tests listed in the manual.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Could also be a stuck airflow meter or the circuit open relay.

Jump the B+ and the FP at the test connector just before start, This will bypass both of those and pressure up the fuel line right away.

Last edited by Punchy; 09-30-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I must say I've never head of a "Crank-Case Position Sensor."

I imagine you meant... "Crank-Shaft Position Sensor."

But no the 22-RE is not equipped with such a sensor.

Engine revolutions are monitored through the distributor VIA the "Pick-up Coil."

Now these pick-up coils can overheat occasionally...

But your problem describes and issue with "Hot-soak" starts... I would lean more toward a fuel pressure issue as well.

Perhaps a weak fuel pump and or fuel system restriction... VIA the fuel filter or fuel pick-up in the fuel tank...?

Perhaps a delayed coolant temperature sensor performace...?

Perhaps a worn/faulty Air Flow Meter...?

Perhaps a worn Ignition Coil and or delayed/faulty Igniter assembly...?

Incorrect spark plug gap...?