86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crank, no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank, no start issue

A couple years ago I purchased a '95 4runner sr5 with a 22re from the local salvage yard, I didn't have much information at all about how the previous owner used it, all I know is there was slight damage to the frame and body ( dents, rust, and a frame that needs alignment ) but with 200k+ km on the motor and body ( 124k miles ) it still ran and served as a good vehicle to fool around in and learn new things. However after all the fun and games the car sat for roughly a year or two, what was once a running 22re had become what I now see as a giant paper weight. With it being winter time and there being snow on the ground where I'm from, I decided to make it one of my winter projects to try and get it running again however I ran into a couple issues that i can't seem to get around.

First things first, before we did anything we tested to see if the motor would turn over and everything looks good, it cranks over and there is spark. The old fuel pump went bad while it was sitting, therefor we replaced the fuel pump and while I was at it, replaced the fuel filter. I made sure there was new, fresh gas in the tank, and still all that would happen is it would crank over but would not start. checked the fuses and relays that are associated with the fuel pump and EFI, everything checks out fine but still nothing.

desperate times call for desperate measures. I tried getting it started with a can of starting fluid, and it would sometimes run for 2 seconds, other times it would run for 5 seconds, and then die, go to start it right after without starting fluid and it just cranks.

Not too sure what to try next, my thought is it could possibly be a clogged injector or not enough fuel pressure, but then again I don't know.
If anyone has had a similar problem or has an idea of what it could be, please help. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
What do you see, hear, feel when you crank?
Do you hear circuit opening relay click when you crank? Pls see my thread for how circuit opening relay works.
Do you hear and/or feel if your duel pump works?
Got fuel pressure? Pls see my thread for fuel pressure gage piggy-backed on cold start injector, to help confirm that fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator are working.
How did you check your fuses? Visual is not enough. Need to check voltage to see if it's getting to components.
Got a multi-meter? Next to our senses, the multi-meter is the most useful/important electrical diagnostic tool.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
It sounds like no fuel. But before you start disconnecting fuel lines (the pressure side lines have pairs of crush washers, which MUST be replaced every time they are disturbed), replace the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator with a 6mm (1/4") clear vinyl line to a suitable container (bucket). Start the fuel pump by jumpering FP to B+ and Key-on. You should get about 1/2 liter/min out of the fuel return line. You should also be able to HEAR the fuel pump. If you don't hear the fuel pump, the problem is in the COR-VAF circuit. If you hear the fuel pump but get no fuel, it's not putting out enough pressure to bring the rail to operating pressure.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry but I only glanced over much of this and there are many posts on similar topics, my 88 out of no where about 7 years ago started doing the same thing when warm if I hold the gas pedal slightly down it starts right up. I have tried every single one of the recommended and not recommended fixes and never got rid of it. Almost 100k miles later it has never caused any other problems and now its time to send the old girl to the parts bin, 22re still runs perfect and it will end up in another truck that will probably have the same warm start issue, good luck figuring it out.