Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Could someone help me identify what goes in these slots?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Could someone help me identify what goes in these slots?

There's these little slots in the dash panel that are covered by plastic inserts something went there I know but I don't know what. I'll send pictures of them. If anyone can help me identify what goes into each and possibly send me pictures of what they look like so I know what I'm looking for, then thanks.

Oh and also I'm looking for an original radio and speakers for this truck, it's an 87 btw. Will pay $$ and shipping.

Oh, also I need one of these, it's all sun baked up:

as you can see it's just that glued on face that's gone SNAFU. If anyone could tell me where to get it and an A/C button, (as well as the light bulb that goes behind the A/C button) then thanks again.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First pic is a clutch start cancel
Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Last time i checked lakeland toyota has the ac/heat control panel and ac buttons in stock
Old 04-01-2017, 05:51 PM

I've got a clutch start cancel? But there's one down here, by the dimmer knob.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:51 PM

For good used stuff pm atcfixer hes got alot of stuff
Old 04-01-2017, 05:52 PM

I see. I had an aftermarket alarm switch in that blank on one of my trucks
Old 04-01-2017, 05:57 PM

They used the same dash frames as the 4runners. That is where the deck lamp switch would go
Old 04-01-2017, 06:01 PM

The one below the cig lighter is an overdrive light

Last edited by flg8r22; 04-01-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:10 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnsoline
I've got a clutch start cancel? But there's one down here, by the dimmer knob.
That's for the passenger seat ejection switch. If you don't have the sunroof, the switch is not installed at the factory.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
From what I have seen:
First picture: Deck lamp switch
Second picture: Cruise control indicator
Third picture: Automatic Transmission "Overdrive OFF" Indicator
Fourth Picture: Power Antenna "Up / Down" switch

I think you can still get the Climate Control panel from the dealer (and they are cheaper than e-Bay)

Here is a good "stock" photo I found while searching. It has most of the switches and Indicators:

Old 04-01-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm pretty sure toyota used those slots based on what the truck needs, and if it's a more base model truck, they just block off the holes. The "stock photo" above appears to be a 4runner (fuel door release lever). For my Tacoma, They reused the same slot for RR diff lock (electronic rear locker), and ECT for automatic trucks from memory.

Anyway I have an AC button in great shape. I didn't test the bulb, but I pulled it out and it appears to be good yet. The heater control cover I also have a couple of. The cover has a knock out for non-clock trucks, same goes for the AC button. Pic is of one that already had those two options, actually both parts are from the same truck (my first SR5 for this gen).
Attached Thumbnails Could someone help me identify what goes in these slots?-dscn4096.jpg  

Last edited by atcfixer; 04-01-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:52 PM

How would we set up the transfer of these?

The A/C bulb does come out, at least on mine. It's a tiny tiny little bulb with a plastic base.

The panel is of a different design than mine I see. From a 4Runnner maybe?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 AM

What exactly is a deck lamp? It's it something that will go onto a pickup, or is it 4runner exclusive?

I have looked a bit, and I think the slot that the deck lamp switch goes in, also accommodates a fog lamp switch. Am I correct in this?
Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
O.P.
Pls idicate what are we looking at:
'83 short-box 4x4, 22R, 5-spd, new tailgate. ?
'87 short-box 4x4 with 22R short-block ?

Originally Posted by Johnsoline
What exactly is a deck lamp? It's it something that will go onto a pickup, or is it 4runner exclusive?
I have looked a bit, and I think the slot that the deck lamp switch goes in, also accommodates a fog lamp switch. Am I correct in this?
Deck lamp is for a 4Runner. Could be cargo light for a pickup.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 AM

87 is the one we're seeing here
Old 04-02-2017, 05:39 AM

The parts are from a 86 toyota pickup 4x4 SR5 with the 22RE (EFI). I have an 87 2wd long box xtra cab pickup with the 22R (Carb) as well. I looked at your photo a little better and it just looks like the sticker is the difference.

For the transfer of funds, I can take Paypal, Postal Money order (from the post office), or Bitcoin (doubt you have BTC though). I'd be shipping via USPS first class.

For the Deck Lamp switch, the amber circle style is for the 4runner, the other design that just says Deck Lamp on it is from a pickup. The switch turns on a light mounted on the back side of the cab. I have a couple if you wanted to drill the holes and such to add it, but you'd have to wire it and every thing based on the few pickups I've pulled apart. I don't have any of the switches left though.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:25 AM

atcfixer I looked at your parts thread a bit, and I wondered about what you described as the "driver's side floor vent." (Here we call it a "crotch conditioner") I was wondering about it, since I've always wanted one, and wondered if this is something I could install on mine. I looked under and saw what appears to be the ducting for it.

Is this something that I can just bolt on?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:40 PM

The big flat in the ducting there is cut out for trucks that came with it. You could cut it out, or I could include that section of the ducting. Don't remember how hard it is to pull that part though (cutting might be easier overall). If you want to see what the ducting normally looks like I can get you a photo. Also you're right, its the vent the points right in the crotch area lol, didn't know what to call it so that's what I came up with. The one I have listed has one of the mounting points broken off, but 3 of 4 screws should be enough to hold it in place pretty well.

Btw, it appears there's a duct tape wrapped wire in your photo. Might want to check into it and wrap it with electrical tape or get some sealing dual walled adhesive heat shrink for it. I build harnesses, so little details like that makes me think hack job wiring was done to the harness.

Also I checked the 87 truck I'm pulling apart, it has the same sticker on it as yours, but it looks similar, darkened, yellow/brown but isn't cracking or anything yet.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 PM

If you could get me a picture I'd appreciate it.

I can't find an official name for the vent either.

Yeeeeeahhhh so there's a back story to this truck a little. When my grandpa bought this truck in 91 he bought it from a repossessions place. The guy who ran the place had this business of retrofitting repossessed vehicles with "upgrades." Besides the high-dollar 4Runner seats he put in, (imo that is a real upgrade, so much nicer than pickup seats) he also installed door speakers, (cutting the vinyl) replaced the factory speakers with slightly more expensive ones, and replaced the radio with a Jensen. So now we get down to the wiring. So this guy, this guy, ... this guy was not an electrician. Instead of building a harness and fusing up all the lines and everything, like a good retrofitter, he tied all the lines together with tape, (it's not duct tape it's some kind of cotton fabric tape) and crimped blade connectors onto the ends of the wires, so he could pull the fuses out, stick the wires into the fuse slots, and then put the fuses back in to pin them there.

I would like to say "I'm lucky I didn't have a fire," but I can't. Because I had a fire. But I can say I'm lucky it didn't damage anything. The radio wasn't even hooked up at the time, just his jury-rigged up job. Since then, (immediately) I discovered this job, removed all of his makeshift crap from the fuse block and disconnected all power to it, and now the wiring is just there, as I haven't removed it yet.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-02-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:21 PM

I forgot you had a 91, I took pics of a couple 89-95 pickups with them. Air duct looks simple to remove, just have to line up a screwdriver in the right spot to release the tab, or just pull hard. The vent mounts to the trim under the column, and just slides into the air ducting.

Anyway, pics!
Attached Thumbnails Could someone help me identify what goes in these slots?-dscn4106.jpg   Could someone help me identify what goes in these slots?-dscn4107.jpg