Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

COR/Circuit Open Relay Constant Clicking

Old 04-03-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy COR/Circuit Open Relay Constant Clicking

I've done some searching on the forums and havent been able to find anything with a similar situation.

I'm on my lunch at the moment and will try the other troubleshooting tips when I get home (direct connect to fuel pump, AMF Test, voltage testing, etc...)

I was just hoping to get a few opinions or ideas about my problem.

The COR on my 87 4Runner 22RE Manual Trans is clicking near constantly. Especially at idle and it'll click between shifts (when revs drop). At speed it doesn't seem to click, maybe once or twice.

It has a semi-rough idle and the truck has stalled on me once while idling.

Has anyone experienced this before? It sounds like a typewriter when it's really going. I'm sure the pump is good, I'm thinking it has to be a bad or dying relay or something giving the relay bad info.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Its gonna need to be cleaned up (the contacts) or replacement. Search, there was just a thread about this.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't know of any earlier threads on this, but it doesn't sound like a relay problem. Instead, I'm guessing the switch in the VAF is intermittently open. I'm not surprised that this would go away at speed (when the vane is pushed farther), and return at idle (where the switch contacts have moved to right at the switching point, and simple vibration is causing it to open and close).

Don't overlook the obvious; a loose connector would open intermittently with vibration, and as the engine smooths out at speed the vibration would drop also.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
totally a bro
Staff

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f120/cor-267192/
Old 04-03-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Dead capacitor maybe, maybe some dirty contacts but I'd suspect they're on the reed switch in the air meter.

You can test at the COR, if it opens imeadiately after you remove power the capacitor has come loose or lost it's electrolyte.

Easy enough to replace the cap' should be a video floating around, doesn't hurt to upgrade the size while you're in there either. Just saw it the other day but I don't remember the thread title.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys thanks for the responses.

I did two things. First I bought a new COR and installed it. Might as well eliminate it as the problem.

Next I drove the truck around and still had the issue of the low idle where the truck would threaten to die.
So I popped the hood. Looked at all the vacuum tubes and couldn't find a leak, but I did hear a distinct hissing noise.

When I would gas the truck the his was louder. Turned out the piece of plastic tube from the air intake to the efi (not sure I'm using the correct terms) had a kink in it where it connects to the flexible rubber connection to the efi.

Pulled it off. There was a definite kink letting air in. So I took out a torch and heated that guy up and reshaped it. Cooled it, put it in place and started the truck and went for a quick run.

Usually the problem was that after a long sustained run at speed the truck would idle very rough at a stop. I think I fixed it. No longer as rough an idle (tune up and some more tlc maybe needed for the truck).

No more COR issues either.

One more question. Could that air leak have cause the COR to click like it was and cause the issues I was having.

Obviously answered my own question with the fixes, but wanted to double check with you guys.

Thanks again for all the help. Greatly appreciated.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM
totally a bro
Staff

If the afm wasn't getting enough air to keep the flap open, it would momentarily close and send the signal to the COR to turn off the fuel pump.