86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

coolant leak...im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
coolant leak...im stumped

yesterday I filled my coolant reservoir because it was empty and i could see no coolant in the top of the radiator. So I topped off the radiator and filled up the reservoir midway. I noticed the overflow was empty today, so I topped that off and filled it up all the way.

Today I noticed a puddle of coolant under my truck. I figured I spilled something, so I drove home. My coolant overflow is still almost full, but now when I look under the truck I can see coolant dripping from the starter motor. I don't see any hoses above it that are connected to the radiator. Somehow the coolant is getting onto the starter and dripping down. It's dripping at such a fast pace that when I put the truck into reverse to back into my parking space, I left a trail of coolant.

Yet...the reservoir is still full. So I got a rag and wiped the underside of the engine off so I can narrow down where the leak is coming from. I can't see a thing. All I see is coolant seeping from the starter and down onto the hoses below it and then onto the floor.

Help? I know toyotas are reliable, but I'm getting tired of the leaks. The hoses are all new and I might be replacing the radiator soon...but not if it's going to continue leaking when all the parts I buy are new.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
on the 22re, there's a coolant pipe that goes from the bottom of the intake manifold (between #2 and #3 intake runners) and wraps around the back of the engine to a hose for the heater core. possibly you're leaking from the manifold area or from the heater hose connection and it's running back and dripping onto the starter.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
on the 22re, there's a coolant pipe that goes from the bottom of the intake manifold (between #2 and #3 intake runners) and wraps around the back of the engine to a hose for the heater core. possibly you're leaking from the manifold area or from the heater hose connection and it's running back and dripping onto the starter.
I saw that one and was mostly concerned about that. I couldn't see any drips or seeps coming from that. I wiped down the engine with a shirt and washed it off with water and dried it off and I'll continue to watch that hose for leaks.

I asked here because that pipe doesnt seems to be the leaky pipe (that I can see, so far) otherwise it would seem pretty obvious. So I'm open to more suggestions.

I'm also considering the theory that my truck is possessed and it hates me, no matter how well I take care of it. (sounds like a teenager)
Old 12-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the condition of the radiator cap? The seal may be worn and not holding pressure.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
Whats the condition of the radiator cap? The seal may be worn and not holding pressure.
I considered that too, but if it was the radiator cap wouldn't I not be able to hear it hiss and gurgle as I unscrew and remove the cap? Isn't the hissing and gurgling a sign that it's holding pressure?
Old 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM

If the cap wasn't holding pressure, coolant would leak out when at normal operating temp and evaporate on the hot radiator.
Also, some coolant maybe blown back onto other parts of the engine by the fan making it seem like the coolant is leaking from somewhere else.

What about the engine freeze plugs, maybe one of those could be leaking.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
If the cap wasn't holding pressure, coolant would leak out when at normal operating temp and evaporate on the hot radiator.
Also, some coolant maybe blown back onto other parts of the engine by the fan making it seem like the coolant is leaking from somewhere else.

What about the engine freeze plugs, maybe one of those could be leaking.
I never considered those, but I got so in depth with my search for the source of the leak that I even removed the skid plate and got underneath the truck. I looked at every bit of the engine I could see with a flashlight. I even searched the side of the block and didn't see anything from the freeze plugs.

As for the fan blowing the coolant around, It was blowing around form the fan or me driving down the highway, but I was still able to determine that it is still coming from something around the starter. The fan or wind blew the coolant all down the pipes and the IFS and it was dripping from the right wheel's tie rod to the skid plate and then to the ground.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Possibly a timing chain? I've heard of the chain rubbing the side of the casing and eventually wearing it thin, and thus leaking coolant into the motor, I'm no mechanic but another thing you may want todo is find when its most actively dripping and try to keep the conditions the same way to find the problem (ie. if it only does it while engin is warm and running, or while its raced up a bit)
Old 12-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That ain't it^^^^^. There'd be coolant in the motor oil. And, coolant would not be particularly leaking externally. That condition causes an internal leak behind/inside the timing cover and down into the crankcase/oil pan. Bad news it is, though.

What Abe suggested is good possibility. But, does your motor have the remote style auxiliary air valve (cold idle air valve)?

He's something to try. Get some powdered foot spray, have the motor clean....again, spray the powder anywhere it could possibley leaking from, and then run the motor until it is hot and pressure has built up. Shut it off and look for coolant tracks in the powder.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 AM

I found what it is. It is the hose abe suggested. Looks like we didn't even replace that hose and now it'd dry rotted. The mouth of one end of the hose is too open, and the clamp is wearing out to the point where it won't clamp shut on it and seal it all the way, so the coolant is leaking out.

I tightened the clamp as much as I could, but I could only get it a turn and a half. That seemed to stop the leak, but i still feel insecure. The bad thing is, the clamp is at such a bad angle that I will have to take off the power steering pump to get this clamp off. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it keeps leaking. The earliest I can fix it is 2 weeks from now.

Anyone know the hose name or part number of this hose? I'm going to order one today. I've been searching for "hoses" on all the popular parts sites and cannot find one that matches the one i need.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 12-28-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 AM

there are two lower radiator hoses, one upper... at least two heater hoses, and two small hoses on the intake manifold. I think Abe was describing the heater hose pipe... perhaps you should post a pic. If your power steering pump is in the way of the clamp, you're describing the upper of the two lower radiator hoses. It comes off the water pump and goes to the drop-pipe.
Best to visit your local parts store.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by misterzee
there are two lower radiator hoses, one upper... at least two heater hoses, and two small hoses on the intake manifold. I think Abe was describing the heater hose pipe... perhaps you should post a pic. If your power steering pump is in the way of the clamp, you're describing the upper of the two lower radiator hoses. It comes off the water pump and goes to the drop-pipe.
Best to visit your local parts store.
That sounds like it's it. The upper of the lower radiator hose. It's a simple L hose.

I might have to take the power steering pump off the get to it. I'm going to try one thing first: i'm going to get a dremel tool or some metal cutters and see if i can cut through the clamp. I dont want to remove the power steering pump because that's too much work just to get one clamp off.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM

22re lower radiator hoses- the one that connects behind the water pump is straight and then it hits a U shaped pipe to a hose that offsets down to the radiator. Sure we're not confusing the heater hoses?

The one I was speaking of is a hard pipe that comes off bottom of the intake manifold, runs to the rear then around the back of the engine, then (IIRC) turns upwards and then changes to a 3/4-1" rubber hose which supplies the temperature control valve and heater core.
There's also a hard pipe that runs from the outlet hose from the heater core, under the exhaust manifold and to the water pump.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:51 AM

There's also a hard pipe that runs from the outlet hose from the heater core, under the exhaust manifold and to the water pump.
That's the one I think it is, since i burned my hand on the exhaust manifold tightening the clamp. That pipe curves upward, and the L shaped hose connects to that and then turns left (if you're facing the engine) and connects to the water pump.

-edit-
im still having a hard time finiding the proper hose on any of the parts sites. Even with a basic search of "hose". Maybe the dealership will have it, but I'd prefer to save my money and buy from somewhere online.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 12-29-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:44 AM

I ordered the hose from the dealer. Cos $13. Not too bad at all. Going to replace the hose next weekend. Also going to re paint my bumper and front grill.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 AM

just went looking at autozone.com http://www.autozone.com/N,16300589/s...eResultSet.htm (you'll have to select your vehicle when the page comes up) and got a list of about 8 hoses that they say the stores normally stock.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 AM

just went looking at autozone.com http://www.autozone.com/N,16300589/s...eResultSet.htm (you'll have to select your vehicle when the page comes up) and got a list of about 8 hoses that they say the stores normally stock.
I searched autozone.com and the pictures didn't ever match, and none of the pictures looked even semi-accurate to what I was looking for, so just to be safe I went to the dealer. Cost $3 and now I have the security in knowing i got the right parts for sure.

And when I was on autozone, I did a search for my zip code on all of those hoses in my local area and none of them were in stock here. I checked this because I was going to go to the store personally and verify It was the right hose.