86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Converting manual windows to auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting manual windows to auto

I have a 94 toyota ex cab and it has the split door windows. The one with the small front triangle shaped window. I was wondering if I could convert it to automatic and what automatic windows would work for the conversion. Would I be able to use ones from a 4 runner?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM

I was thinking of doing this exact same thing.

I'd be interesting to know if anyone attempted and accomplished it; doesn't seem like it would be that hard. I was thinking of using celica parts modified to fit. I also like the little feature that you can lock & unlock both sides by turning the key twice.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM

I think the best bet would be to find a truck at a wrecking yard and compare it to your doors and wiring. My truck came with the wing windows and power windows.

Youll definitely want to find some door panels from a SR5 with power windows for the cleanest look
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Could find a salvage yard that will swap you a set of doors with working power windows for your old doors. just have to swap out the lock cyclinders
Old 12-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to have power windows, but.... NOBODY AROUND HERE HAS THEM!!!!! Dang Rust belt claimed most of them....
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 AM

You would need the regulators, the door panels (for the operation switch) and the wiring. It would be ideal if you could run the wiring thru the fuse box. If you buy everything new, I believe the door panels would be the most expensive. Figuring out another area to put the switches would not be hard and less expensive. Buying new I think the motor is separate from the regulator.

Last edited by sechott; 12-05-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 AM

Been talking about doing the same to my 87 Xtra cab. Really like the idea of new motors/regulators and building my own wiring with maybe a dash or center console switch. I know the motor/regs are available new on eBay but haven't searched elsewhere yet.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 AM

I'm in the process of doing it! I'm half done at the moment (one window is done and ready to go)

Items needed:
donor doors (same body year as the manual window vehicle)
-the front window track
-the regulator mechanism
-the lock mechanism (if you are moving over the power lock also)
-Im pretty sure the back window track is the same, but I pulled it anyways
-the weatherstripping that goes around the window shell from the front track to the back track
-the interior door panel that holds the controls (can probably get away with using the old door panel, and just fab something to hold the controls, but beware that the window weatherstripping on the wing window is not the full length of the window [as the wing has it's own] so there will be a 5 inch gap)
-exterior weatherstripping window seal (the one for the wing window is 5 inches too short)

What I have done so far:
I have an 87 4runner with wing windows
I had an 89 4runner parts car with power windows/locks

I took the window+regulator+controls/wiring out of an 89 4runner with power windows.

then from my 87 I removed the window, wing-window assembly (there are screws holding the top in, under the door weatherstripping, hard to find)

I also removed the lock assembly (to replace with the power lock assembly.)

!!!!after the all the parts where removed from the 87 door that had the wing window, I had to sawzall a little metal tab seperates the wing partition from the actual window, it gets in the way of the full size window, and is not needed anymore.

I put the 89 tracks and window into the 87 door.
I put the lock mechanism and window regulator in, test the power components by jumping straight from the battery, all works perfect.

had to order the weatherstripping seal for the outer window, as the wing window one only goes 3/4ths of the window length.

I'll take pictures of the other side as I do it, it's been raining non-stop since I got the passenger side in, and haven't had a chance to do the drivers side.

*notes* mirror on the door that had wing windows, but now have full power windows seems weird, because of how far back it is, I am looking into something that will fill in the spot where they are now, so I can move them forward to where they are on the donor doors.