Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Converting a front shift to a top shift

Old 07-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting a front shift to a top shift

Ok, I have these two transmissions. My old T-case is a top shift, The T-case from the donor trans is a front shift. Can I take off the plate from the top shift T-case, drop in my shifter and make it work?

BTW, I've done TONS of searching and I'm still confused.

Also, is there any way of telling what the trans code is by just looking at the trans? I know you can look on the firewall, but how can you tell if the trans has been pulled?

BTW, the trans on the left is the one I'm using. The T-case on the right is the one I want to use with it.
Attached Thumbnails Converting a front shift to a top shift-2-yota-trans.jpg  

Last edited by jforte5650; 07-15-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
You have to convert one to the other with spare parts or a kit
http://www.wabfab.org/Dual-Adapter/V...-products.html

Left is top shift. Right is forward shift.

If you separate tranny from tcase the shift forks in forward shift stick much further out of tcase.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 07-15-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM

I have the shifters and block off plates from both T-cases. Can they be swapped between the two? I saw the adapter kits you sell but I wasn't sure if I might have the parts between these two, or if there is more that I might need. Also you sell 3 kits, which one would I need if I can't use the parts that I have?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Depending on what is broken and being replaced you can build what you need from the two tcases, or should be able to. It isn't shifters, it is the shift rails and forks that need changing out. You are going to have to crack them open and swap guts.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Its not to hard. As stated above just swap the shift forks and rails. Its pretty straight forward. Good Luck!
Heck I converted a forward shift to top shift with no additional parts or kit.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I got a '93 Pickup with the W-56, standard tranny. The T-case I had on it was a forward shift (the FWD shifter was attatched to the tranny, not on top of the T-case.)

The T-case that was on the truck, was messed up somehow. Whenever in 4wd, whether 4-HI or 4-LO, it would make a loud ass clunking noise, and almost stop the truck when moving. CV's were fine, front diff is fine, drive shafts were fine, so I figured it was the T-case. I could even feel the clunk in my ass. Another reason I figured it was the T-case cause it was right under me.

I picked up an entire W-56 tranny with a T-case. I didn't look close enough at my setup, and didn't do much research prior to buying the donor setup. I removed my T-case and realized I had the "forward shift" T-case, and the donor was a top shift!

After standing around, and smoking a few cig's to relieve some stress, I noticed the only difference between the two, was the shift forks. (If I could figure out how to put pics on here, I'd put them up and show you to make more sense.) Anyways! I started first by taking apart the donor T-case because I've never dug into anything like this yet, and being a student at WyoTech, I haven't gone through the transmission part of the course either. So, I took the challenge upon myself.

After opening up the case, there really wasn't much to the T-case. I noticed that all I had to do, was switch the shift forks for the 4wd SHIFTER. I took the forks out of the donor which, by the way, was quite easy. Just do NOT lose the little detent balls or whatever you want to call them. (If you want more info about certain precautions, let me know.)

After I got the forks out, I took my T-case apart, and took those ones out. Put them into the new donor one, put it back together with some red, Permatex Gasket Maker because the T-case is aluminum, and the red won't eat through aluminum. $16.99 is cheaper than some gasket kits I've found.

The weather has been rainy, and I can't install the T-case back into the truck at school, so I'm waiting for the weather to clear up and get a helping hand to install it.

If you know how to post pics, let me know how and I'll put them up ASAP!