Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Convert 1st gen 4runner to a pickup, keeping the hard top

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
To be honest, this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard done.
Why?
1) You're taking something that's perfectly fine, and converting it into something that already exists.
2) You're chopping up a 1st Gen Runner.
3) YOU'RE CHOPPING UP A 1ST GEN 4RUNNER.
4) If you want a truck so bad just trade your runner in for one. I know a ton of truck guys that would kill for a runner, myself included.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All i can say is..wow.. I dont understand.. Cant you just load your dirt bike on there by removing the top? Leave the tailgate down and strap it down real good? If the rollbar gets in the way remove it and remove the rear seats...Store them or sell them on here. That way if for whatever reason you wanna go back to stock..you can..
Old 09-22-2009, 07:02 PM

instead of u slaughtering a yota ill trade ya my new 07 ford ranger sport with 4.10s and a posi track with 4 brand new tires and 4 new pioneer 240w speakers. its black with smoked tail lights

Last edited by fireman1559; 09-22-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by StangBanger
All i can say is..wow.. I dont understand.. Cant you just load your dirt bike on there by removing the top? Leave the tailgate down and strap it down real good? If the rollbar gets in the way remove it and remove the rear seats...Store them or sell them on here. That way if for whatever reason you wanna go back to stock..you can..

Id have to say I agree here. My first gen Runner will haul anything i ever tried haulin in my 93 P/U. And when im done haulin..I can flip my seats up, put my top back on and have room for my kids again. The only drawback is Winter time. Its kinda cold to pop the top off in the winter no matter how short the trip to haul something. So in that respect I can see the benifit to having some sort of removable system to block the cold air from the front seats. For the most part i dont have an issue with this ,as i will just borrow a friends truck if i need to haul something in the winter. But while driving their truck dont think for a minute my wheels arent turning on a completey modular system so my Runner can be converted to a usable pick up and back to Runner in the winter.

And the Quebec 4runner just filled in a few of the blanks.

Last edited by Duelertoyota4x4; 09-23-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Ok, just done yesterday. I really like the way it turned out! Kept everything so if I want a 4Runner back, I just need to remove the back of the cab, reinstall the rear seats and put on another hard top.

Next step is to replace the wooden frame with a metal tubing frame, replace the wooden board with metal, adjust everything and fill gaps to the cab with fiberglass and paint!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Sad day for 4runner lovers..but it is your truck and as long as your happy with it..that's really all that matters..
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Well, that's entirely reversible. So I don't understand why people are making a case when all I need to do to get it back is to put the seats back and another hard top....
Old 09-26-2009, 01:02 AM

well boys another hardtop just went to the afterlife . but on the bright side the truck does look nice good job on the switch.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 AM

Who cares its his 4runner. Get a life and stop whining that someone did something with there runner.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now you need one of these for where the seats use to be.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Who cares its his 4runner. Get a life and stop whining that someone did something with there runner.
let's see, i don't know if you missed it but the OP *requested* people's opinion about this "mod."

after receiving a pretty clear response from the board, he nonetheless went on to post pics where he's doing exactly the opposite of what people suggested.

come to think of it, i'm not sure what you are complaining about since both armalite and stangbanger actually offered praise/support on the way to recognizing the same fact you brilliantly summed up as "Who cares its his 4runner."

Last edited by alfio; 09-26-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
He knew what he wanted to do and he did it.

props, with some fine tuning and some body work, that will look fantastic!
I would love to have a full electric rear window in my truck
Old 09-26-2009, 11:41 AM

now your next problem is finding a new top...
If i was going to buy a 4Runner, i would buy it for the SUV aspect. The ability to carry more than 2 people at a time, with a little extra room in the back from some other stuff.

Chopping up a 4Runner top, just to make it into a truck? Blasphemy. Just go trade in your runner for a truck and get it over with.

It's not like these tops are EASY to find, in fact, it seems like they're becoming a bit rare. And then with some people cutting them up, it makes it worse.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Dude, it's his truck.

nobody complains when guys SAS their 4runners and then rape them on the rocks....
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM

his 4runner is actually pretty nice though. and cutting up a hard top to achieve the same thing as a pickup?
why not just get a pickup in the first place?
Old 09-26-2009, 11:52 AM

So does that mean in 10 more years, I am going to get ragged on because I cut off all my IFS? IFS toyotas are going to be rare then!!

I like it, its something different, something you dont ever see! People are acting like this one 4runner top that got cut up is going to make the price of all 4runner tops skyrocket!

You know, parts get rare, its life, its time. You do realize that the newest first gen 4runner is still over 20 years old!! 8in front diffs are getting rare too!! But people dont get mad when people take them out of old trucks either, people also dont get mad when people bob thier beds on thier trcuks, and god knows those are rare because of thin sheet metal...but god forbid, this guy cut up HIS top on HIS 4runner, you know that he paid for. That you have no say in whatsoever.

Edit: BTW im not dissin anyone or anything, just saying...

Last edited by 1989toy4wd; 09-26-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Whats the guys name that does the fiberglass fenders and bedsides??? I cant remember, but why dont we ask him to start production on replica/replacement tops for these, I bet he could make and sell them for a good price!!!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:21 PM

i just think it's dumb.
If you had a decent looking 1st gen 4Runner, would YOU cut the top up?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Dude, it's his truck.

nobody complains when guys SAS their 4runners and then rape them on the rocks....
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
So does that mean in 10 more years, I am going to get ragged on because I cut off all my IFS? IFS toyotas are going to be rare then!!

...but god forbid, this guy cut up HIS top on HIS 4runner, you know that he paid for. That you have no say in whatsoever.
1) "it's his truck" duh - is anyone saying otherwise?

2) people who SAS their trucks/4runners do it because they can't get that sort of perfomance from another vehicle. this guy could have easily purchased/traded for a truck that would do *exactly* what he wanted

3) "he paid for his truck" duh - is anyone saying otherwise?

4) it's not about things becoming more expensive, money has nothing to do with what people are saying about this. it's about cutting up a perfectly good vehicle for the sake of flexing your builder's muscle when there are many many other vehicle choices that would do exactly what he said he wanted to do (you may have seen them out on the trail, they are called pickups), including his own vehicle (rear seat delete + alternative/temp back window does the same thing without hacking the top).

5) "dude, it's his truck, he paid for it" dude, i got it. nobody is arguing some sort of ridiculous conservationist strategy for toyotas (especially not to this crowd) but there are many examples of people hacking for the sake of hacking (many worst than this case). it's clear that people are reacting here moreso than on other threads because he *invited* people's opinions. personally, i'm not against bobbing, SASing or any of the many other things we all do to our trucks so long as there's a purpose to it.

i know, i know, poor horse

(dude, it's his horse hahahaha)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, your a real ignorant one aren't you...

quit your bitchin. Nobody cares that you had a minor heartattack since he cut his top up....

I see so many wrecked 4runners with mint tops..cry me a river

I guess people should only do mods that you feel there is "purpose" for..

Last edited by Jay351; 09-26-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Convert 1st gen 4runner to a pickup, keeping the hard top