Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Controll Arm Bushings - What's missing here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Controll Arm Bushings - What's missing here?

I got a new set of Energy Suspension bushings for my 4Runner and it appears to be incomplete.

As you can see the new bushing is lacking the inner sleeve that the bolt rides on. I thought maybe I could just take the sleeve out of the old bushing but it appears to be vulcanized to the rubber.

Were those sleeves supposed to be in the box with the bushings or is that a separate part I have to find? I've poked around online a little with no success. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Oh yeah, these are for the lower arm, haven't gotten to the uppers yet. Will I find the same thing there?

Last edited by B-Fake; 05-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:27 PM

You probably need to cut or burn off the rubber and reuse the old steel sleeve. Energy saves a little money by not including them, but vastly increases the hassle.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:36 PM

You have to reuse the inner sleeves from the old bushings. Just soak them in gas for an hour or so and then set them aside from the gas somewhere safe. Then just light them on fire and wait until they burn down completely so that just the sleeve is left. You may need to take a wire wheel to it afterwords to remove any remaining rubber left over.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. That sucks, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but oh well. Too bad ES doesn't include those, I would have gladly paid a little more to not have to deal with the hassle. While burning stuff is fun, burning rubber smells horrible lol, I think I'll just throw them in the lathe and cut it off. Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 PM

So I saw the instructions in the box and lo and behold it says AT THE TOP, IN BOLD "If your new bushing kit does not have new shells and/or sleeves you must reuse the original shells and/or sleeves."

I guess those instruction thingies are good for something after all .

Again thanks for the responses, and sorry for wasting your time lol. Mods feel free to delete this thread if you want to since it really didn't need to be made in the first place.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you have a lathe. Check your fit. You might wanna shave a little off the bushing. I just installed mine and there well greased with 2yrs of good use. The stiction is rediculous. I can lift the front 3 in let go and it flat doesnt drop. I used prothane so yours may be a better fit. Im gonna have mine turned a little my next bj/axle marathon.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:58 AM

^^ in regards to stiction... I just installed the energy suspension UCA bushings about 6 months ago and the fitment was great. One thing I will advise on though, head to the nearest hardware store and buy a small tube of graphite. You can mix it with the tube of lube they give you to put on the bushings. This is cheap insurance on preventing squeaks.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 PM

bushings

I put in those very bushings, and as far as removing the inner sleeve. it took a few different methods, but the best technique I found with out burning to much rubber is: leave them in the control arm
then heat the inner sleeve from the inside from both sides with a torch oxy of coarse is faster but u don't want it to get red hot, just hot enough to see a ting of smoke.. then give er a firm poke with a screwdriver or what have u.... and they come sliding out like butter.. once the inner sleeve is gone the old bushing can be folded and poked out with ease...