Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

constant ticking.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
constant ticking.

its a loud ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the rear of the motor. thought it was valve spacing so i adjusted those per haynes manual. they were not really out of adjustment i only had to change one a quarter turn tighter. the noise is still there its constant and even regardless of rpm. any idea's?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM

i read some things here about exaust leaks cause some noise in the engine. i know i have an exaust leak right by the cat. the previous owner didnt use the right size clamp so its a leak you can actually see but i didnt think that would make the engine tick like it is. am i totally wrong? i know i should change the clamp but it seemed like such a trivial thing that i could let it go for a bit before doing it.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:40 AM

If it doesn't change with rpm's, does it change with speed (mph)?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM

its gets faster with RPM but dosent get any louder or more *intense* just faster.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can get a "ticking" noise from a exhaust manifold leak, but it thats if your in the cab and accelerating that it sounds reminisent of a tick.

however, any ticking noise coming from the top of the motor is valve related and it can take a few adjustments to get it to go away.

You said per the haynes manual, the books good for wiping your butt with if your out of the good Teepee!

hehe

Pull that cover back off and re-adjust em. Proper way to do it is .007" on the intake and .011" on the exhaust if the motors cold and get it tight so you can barely get that feeler gauge out. I always do it cold, then warm the motor up nice n hot, put some gloves on tear the cover back off and re-adjust them to intake .008 and exhaust .012. .. usually only a few need re-adjusting... then the valve train runs nearly silent.

you'll never get completely quiet, keep that in mind.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 AM

This is second hand, but on here there has been talk of this being an exhaust leak (my friend had the same thing, it suprised me, because it sure didn't sound like it would be the exhaust) or injector ticking. Check out those two before you get into something more serious.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it could be exhaust- it could be the manifold gasket blown out slightly at the rear, it could be the pair manifold (the pipe the bolts to the back of the exhaust manifold) or cross-over to the pair/reed valve. it may be the egr passage or valve.
it could be a worn rocker shaft.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:06 AM

ive done the valve adjustment twice now with the only adjustment needed was when i did it hot one was a little loose. i just bought a 22r complete motor for 100 bucks lol im going to strip it down have the block checked out and rebuild it. while im doing that im going to run this motor till it dies then put this one in. i dont feel like spending a ton of time and money trouble shooting something when i could be doing the same to build a motor i know is going to be good for a long time to come. i suppose not everyone has that oppurtunity but this isnt my daily driver and ive got the means to do it so i guess ill just do that. thanks for tips tho and ill definatly be checking in with people while im going thru this engine job.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM

I just did a rebuild for the same exact thing. I had ticking which i thought was in the valves. I adjusted to there was no tomorrow and still had the damn noise. So i got a used complete block and rebuilt it and swapped it in to find out the the timing belt guide was cracked. Not broke. It gave it enough slap to make the noise. But in the long run i have a new engine thats going to last a long time hopefully (knock on wood).
Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM

ive given it a few real good listens and i cant peg where the noise comes from its annoying as hell. but i just ordered a complete head and master rebuild kit from LC engineering. 1100 bucks. going to pick up motor i bought tonight. now i got something to do when all that crap comes in.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 PM

good luck its an adventure. Took a Friday to pull the motor. Saturday to machine block (bored and honed) and sunday to assemble new block with new head, timing kit and cover, water pump, and oil pump. The next weekend to put back in and viola new motor with lots more power... your going to like it..
Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 AM

think that its a rod bearing thats worn on the 3 or 4 cylinder. i got under it while it was running and listened real good. sounds like a rod bearing is getting bad oh well atleast ive got new stuff on the way. now im just going to run it til it breaks then do the job