86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

common problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
common problems

I am relatively new to the toyota world gas prices regulate that my big block trucks stay in the garage I just got a 88 shortbed reg cab 4x4 5 spd 22RE truck thats in very good shape I am wondering if there is anything that is a common problem on these trucks. I go on alot of long trips some quad trips far off the beaten path I just would like to be prepared.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech

Start reading

:wabbit2:
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing chain guides break and fall into the oil pan. I just did tc, head, water pump and oil pump for less than a grand. Now it's good to go!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM

Just put on a new head and guides, I am really looking for things that I should keep on hand such as electrical and driveline components. I am keeping the truck mostly stock so I shouldn't have any driveline (cv axle) issues. For instance my ford has extra driveshafts, u-joints and some ignition parts as long as I can limp home I'm happy
Old 02-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my list:
Wiring: When I hit my brakes I have no brake lights or tail lights but my signal light will come on. The wire coming from battery to starter corroded off losing power to my starter.

O2 sensor broke off of exhaust(how?) And melted onto the exhaust pipe, grounding out and blowing EFI fuses.

If it's IFS 4wd, Spindle Bushings will wear and make a horrible grinding whining noise.

Fuel pump ground may corrode and break.

Ground from back of Top Oil Pan to body may corrode and break, causing you to lose power to starter.

Chassis will rust.

TPS problems will more than likely arise (Simple fix, unplug it if it acts up.)

A little unlikely but has happened to me, the trim around the front window traps water and rusts, if left alone will rust through, water will get into the frame, which has a passageway right to the ECU. Problem? yes.

If there's anything else I have to add I will.

Needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of faith in my truck anymore.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM

I am sorry about your bad luck but I am not here to bash my truck I have only been driving it for a week and I absolutely love the little thing. I have 5 other trucks all fords and one unimog they all have there issues but I never thought I would be driving a toyota but I am very surprised and it will see alot of use.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by bjlambert
Here's my list:
Wiring: When I hit my brakes I have no brake lights or tail lights but my signal light will come on. The wire coming from battery to starter corroded off losing power to my starter.

O2 sensor broke off of exhaust(how?) And melted onto the exhaust pipe, grounding out and blowing EFI fuses.

If it's IFS 4wd, Spindle Bushings will wear and make a horrible grinding whining noise.

Fuel pump ground may corrode and break.

Ground from back of Top Oil Pan to body may corrode and break, causing you to lose power to starter.

Chassis will rust.

TPS problems will more than likely arise (Simple fix, unplug it if it acts up.)

A little unlikely but has happened to me, the trim around the front window traps water and rusts, if left alone will rust through, water will get into the frame, which has a passageway right to the ECU. Problem? yes.

If there's anything else I have to add I will.

Needless to say, I don't have a whole lot of faith in my truck anymore.

WOW, ive never even heard of those problems!

To the OP, the one major issue ive seen with these trucks is a voltage drop to the starter. wire in a relay to the small wire at the starter and your good to go! I see this almost once a day, being a tow truck driver.

That and on 3 trucks ive personally owned, the exhaust cracks right under the manifold. no idea why.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:42 AM

Thanks guys it's seems like theres not too much that I can't fix with minor supplies.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 AM

Timing chain guides 2x! Pull the vc and look just below the cam gear. You might have heard it rattle if its already gone. Other then that, oil leaks. Nothing major. I've had 6 of these trucks, no idea why I sold any of them. (I'm an idiot). Keep her full of oil, don't let her overheat, and these gals tend to stay happy. I pulled 2 motors learning the hard way. How's about a few pics.