86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold air intakes...anyone using em?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intakes...anyone using em?

Any of you guys using a cold air intake system ( cone filter instead of an airbox ) and if so...what one you using and how do you find it?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a ton of people running cone filters, but stock intake is "cold". It takes air in from directly behind the driver's headlight...
Old 06-24-2009, 04:37 AM

hmm, well thats what there called over this side of the ocean, "cold air intake", i just wanna know wether its worth coughing up the money for a K&N or are there alternatives alot cheaper and just as good
Old 06-24-2009, 04:40 AM

and are they the same systems for a 3.0L diesel and a 3.0L petrol???
Old 06-24-2009, 04:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search "deckplate mod" and "ISR mod" It is basically cutting a hole in your air box and putting a deckplate from a boat in it so you can close it up when you want to. some say its just as good as a cold air kit. I like the sound it gives at full throttle. Plus it can be done for $20 USD or less.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
not true if he has the same airbox as the 22re or 3vze... we cant to a "deckplate mod" because of the cylindrical shape of the air box...

anways, search for the ISR mod as mentioned above... doesnt gain any real power, but gives a nice throaty tone... well, actually, it might help your diesel a lot... dunno of a KnN from a 3vz gas motor would work on a diesel tho... id just build my own...

if you want to run a cone filter, your gonna need to use an adapter similar to THIS...

it will get rid of the stock airbox and just bolt right to the front of the VAFM...

and for the record, out intakes, unless its a snorkle or comes out down near the valence, are considered Short Ram Intakes... NOT Cold Air Intakes...
short ram intakes build power throughout the RPM range, but at a loss because they suck hot air in from the engine bay... cold air kits build power in the higher RPMs, but they are prone to sucking in water because of the precarious postions they must be placed in...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by space-junk
not true if he has the same airbox as the 22re or 3vze... we cant to a "deckplate mod" because of the cylindrical shape of the air box....
My bad. I did not know that.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cylindrical shape of the air box? HuH? I've got square air filters on the 88 and 91.

Anyone ever do any research into sonic resonance in the intake tract and such?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian

Anyone ever do any research into sonic resonance in the intake tract and such?
I never did any research into it but I had a crazy loud growl that came out of the factory air box when I would get off the skinny pedal. It went away when I eliminated the air box.

McQuaid I run a cone filter on mine and it is by no means a "cold air" intake. It pulls hot air out of the engine compartment. I hope to change that when I run a snorkle.

So where are the pictures of that diesel????
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM

mine is the round air box
Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
i think a snorkel would be our version of a cold air intake. Just do the isr mod to remove that restriction. It would also pull air from a colder than engine bay place and you won't need to worry about suckin in water. I would love to throw a snorkel on my rig. you could always get the short ram kit but build and enclosure for the cone filter and route a duct into the encloser to draw air from a cold place.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM

all i want is some more power thru out the rev range but most importantly.....a lovely sounding grumble from it....so im all ears for your suggestions??
Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 PM

well, I'm not totally familiar with the shape and placement of your airbox. If you go ahead and take some pictures of your engine compartment and a few details of your stock intake system, I can give you a pretty good idea of whether or not our intakes will fit... I would imagine the 3.0l diesel and the 3.0l gas engines are totally different. If by some reason the 3.0l gas intakes fit your engine, I recommend the S&B intake. Its an oiled filter like the K&N, it gives similar power increase, and costs about the same. However, the filter S&B uses trap much finer particles than the K&N's. I have read some horrible things about what all that grit and grime can do to your piston rings and valves seals over time, and that just isnt worth the extra 1 or 2 horsepower to me. I have pictures of my installed S&B intake in my build thread, linked in my signature.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM

i'll get some pics of the block and airbox tommorrow, i didnt wanna spend that kinda money...i dont know about S&B but im looking at $250 for a K&N...thats alot
Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM

keep in mind that the dollar isnt what it used to be, and our $250 intake is your 180 Euro intake
Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

there is some intakes on fleabay for bout 90dollar/60 euro...would they be any use or just pure waste of money??
Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM

it depends. Most of them just give you a high flow filter and eliminate an intake silencer box if there is any. The filter will give you higher flow of hotter air, so its a mixed bag. Most people on this forum will tell you to go snorkel and get some TRUE cold air but that doesnt give you any whopping form of power gains most of the time, just the ability to get wetter than the next guy before you kill your toyota! Some models have larger diameter air flow sensors that can be swapped (such as the 22re 4 cyl. gas engine), but most of the time that is the limiting factor on your intake. The crap ebay intake kits often have that first silencer eliminator, and then just an adapter for a cone filter instead of an airbox to bolt on to the air flow sensor. In hot climates, that could be more harm than help. I say do some more research and post those pictures before you make a decision.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 AM

Here's what im working with

Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
just have an exhaust shop bend a metal pipe, maybe with a flex coupler like on the exhaust) and have it routed to your air box... because you have a turbo, its not routed the same way that our petrol engines are... we have silencer boxes and a bunch of other crap in the way... you just have a tube...
Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh well why didn't you say it was a turbo diesel

I'm not 100% sure that I've ever seen a purchasable kit for em, but then again I've never looked hard, lol

you MIGHT be stuck with fabbing up a custom job...

Quick Reply: Cold air intakes...anyone using em?