Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cold-Air Intake from EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cold-Air Intake from EBAY

I'm sure some of you guys have seen these CAI's floating around EBAY. So for around $37 shipped since it didn't have to go far, I went with it. Took about 35-40 mins to install (some older bolts in the airbox were tough to get out).

The only thing cheap and Jerry-rigged is the bracket you have to "twist" and slip and tighten under the clamp for the air filter but other than that it sounds throatier under full throttle and seems to pick up about 7-10 hp under 3/4 throttle.(Certainly not huge gains of torque or hp like from my dieseling days but fun and cheap mod for what it is). The blue vacuum line should be shortened a little but everything else fit perfectly.

As you can see as well I left the factory cold air pipe that is mounted into the front clip air dam and kept it pointing towards the filter housing so that the hot air from the engine wouldn't be too over-powering..I'd like to put an air temp sensor in there to see for sure if it makes a difference. We'll see if the mpg goes up at all. Very cool for the price and I'd recommend it to anyone with a 3vz or 22r/e looking to find something else without breaking the bank. This whole setup costs about 2 regular OE airfilters from Toyota anyway and it's reusable.Don't forget to keep your old parts for a smog inspection.

Last edited by Gregs94Toy; 06-14-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually you don't get much gains from an intake upgrade if you don't upgrade the exhaust to match it.

I also have an ebay cold air intake for my 3vze from the seller MQT Auto Parts. I paid $38 for it last April. That being said, you get what you paid for. I had to cut both pipes to get it to fit get a reducer for one of the vacuum lines and actually tee in two of the lines together because with the V6, there are 3 vacuum lines that hook to the intake, but they only had ports for 2 of them on the CAI. It's a bit of a mess now because I haven't had much time to fix it.

The only good thing I can say about it is that it sounds really awesome when you step on it. If I could do it again, I'd just get a K&N filter for the factory air box.

Here's a link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-TACOMA-4...8244c4&vxp=mtr
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 PM

I ordered one a while back for my 94 to just use the air tube itself with the couplers that came with it. I forget the name of the seller and I think it only cost me like 30 bucks shipped. But when I got it, I didn't like the couplers at all. I know you get what you pay for...I just wish I never ordered it.

I already have a K&N stock filter in my stock airbox. I also modded my box by taking out the elbow that was in it and used sheet metal with aluminum tape to bring the air straight up to the filter by angling the floor from the front of the box straight up to the rear. Any one want a picture let me know. I also just had a Thrush welded (baffled) muffler (bought at Advanced for 40-45 bucks) and a 2" tailpipe from Summit Racing put in. It's got a nice rumble at idle and barks under throttle.

I just ordered the LCE LC Pro Air Intake(Tube Kit Only) - 22RE(89-95) LC Pro Air Intake(Filter & Bracket Kit Only)-22RE
LC Pro Air Intake(Tube Kit Only) - 22RE(89-95) for 150 bucks. Yea I know expensive. Just don't tell my wife. Credit card time. They should come with quality couplers for that price. My stock coupler at the throttle body cracked and is a little short so I figured I may as well order what i want as our junk yards don't have many of the 22re wrecks like out west for you guys. That's what worried me was the crap couplers and hose that came with that cheap Chinese kit. Looks like they would crack under heat real quick. I personally wouldn't use that filter at all. You guys oil those filters? I wish you dudes good luck with them. Let us know how it goes. I'm not knocking you guys...I am just gonna throw that kit in the back of my 88 when I sell it soon.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM

The couplers look and feel fine, over time I guess we'll see. Like I said, for $37 bucks...if it only lasts me 1 year (price of 2 regular OEM filters) I will be happy..then move to a drop in K&N. To complain about this kit for the price is like turning down a $5 filet mignon really.
Would like to see the pics of your airbox mods.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 PM

So question. If you were going to to do the air flow mod and lean it out one click. It would thus help more with this system right???
Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 PM

I don't know gas engines that well to be able to answer that, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in here and explain that.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gregs94Toy
The couplers look and feel fine, over time I guess we'll see. Like I said, for $37 bucks...if it only lasts me 1 year (price of 2 regular OEM filters) I will be happy..then move to a drop in K&N. To complain about this kit for the price is like turning down a $5 filet mignon really.
Would like to see the pics of your airbox mods.
I'm not complaining just saying....another reason I didn't use the tube is that it was set up for the cone filter which I didn't want to use. I knew what I was going to be getting for that cheap price. I wouldn't trust my engine with that blue filter. Again....just saying. And a $5.00 filet mignon is probably actually a chuck steak, y'know?

I'll post some pics first chance I get.

Originally Posted by 4x44runner
So question. If you were going to to do the air flow mod and lean it out one click. It would thus help more with this system right???
Check out this thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...erance-254890/

If you are getting more air to the engine, it would lean out the mixture by itself. Why would you want to adjust the AFM leaner? Check out the thread. There's some good info there.

I actually just ran into this about K&N's on 22RE Performance's site:

http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE%...%20filter.html

I think I may start a thread about K&N's if there isn't one already to see how many people use them and if anyone has had any problems. I might be going back to regular filter. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Daved: Do you know if the tube mounts up with the factory air box? Sorry if I didn't hear you say it did or not..that would be a cool way to run it..
Old 06-16-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have one of the e-bay specials on my 3.4 swap. i could not find an oem from the salvage yard.
just gonna oil real light when i clean it. runs strong even compared to other 3.4's i've driven.
my exhaust note is, put it this way i don't listen to music half the time anymore. the engine makes awesome notes...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by donomite49
i have one of the e-bay specials on my 3.4 swap. i could not find an oem from the salvage yard.
just gonna oil real light when i clean it. runs strong even compared to other 3.4's i've driven.
my exhaust note is, put it this way i don't listen to music half the time anymore. the engine makes awesome notes...
Yea from what I understand you could probably use K&N cleaner on it and re-oil it with K&N oil...even if it's red (spray type).
Old 06-16-2012, 09:20 AM

Word to the wise. Spend a few bucks and swap out that blue filter for a K&N or something with a name brand. If that filter falls apart (like they're famous for), the shrapnel will get sucked directly into your TB.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Natey
Word to the wise. Spend a few bucks and swap out that blue filter for a K&N or something with a name brand. If that filter falls apart (like they're famous for), the shrapnel will get sucked directly into your TB.
sounds like a good idea. ^... i don't like the thought of engine damage.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:29 AM

I did something similiar but used it for a intake battery swap. It's in my build thread. so far all the parts seem to hold up to the abuse I've given it. I did have to make a mud/water splash shield to protect the filter a little. She sounds great too. Do the swap you hardly hear the valve noises and get more exhaust note from the truck.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM

i threw my cold air ebay special away after a year.Got very tired off the sucking noise.guess i didnt notice the hp decrease.or increase for that matter
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
I actually just ran into this about K&N's on 22RE Performance's site:

http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE%...%20filter.html
K&Ns suck for filtering fine dust, but they're wrongfully blaming the filter for all that black junk that came from the EGR.

On a side note, if your cold air intake exposes the filter to the engine bay, it's not a cold air intake.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Daved: Do you know if the tube mounts up with the factory air box? Sorry if I didn't hear you say it did or not..that would be a cool way to run it..
If you are talking about the LC Engineering set up, yes. It will work with either a cone filter or the stock box. I agree with Dirt Driver. If you run a cone filter, you are not using the cooler air from outside the truck. Keep the stock box and use the air coming from outside.

Originally Posted by Dirt Driver
K&Ns suck for filtering fine dust, but they're wrongfully blaming the filter for all that black junk that came from the EGR.

On a side note, if your cold air intake exposes the filter to the engine bay, it's not a cold air intake.
Thanks for the input, Dirt. I know you have to use the pre filter they sell for dusty conditions but I'd like some more info on regular use. You use any K&N's? On the egr thing, are you saying that all of our intakes get dirty like that?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Keep the stock box and use the air coming from outside.
I don't know if you can see it, but I left the outside cold air source part there, and left it pointing at the filter..hot air? No..cooler air temps in that little corner...yes.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I think there is a right and wrong way to service a K&N. I have had a K&N in my air box for at least 20 years, (same one). I have NEVER had a filter oil or fine dust issue past my filter. If I had a HOT air intake given to me i probably would try it for a bit. PS its very dusy where I am.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by daved5150
1.) I agree with Dirt Driver. If you run a cone filter, you are not using the cooler air from outside the truck. Keep the stock box and use the air coming from outside.

2.) Thanks for the input, Dirt. I know you have to use the pre filter they sell for dusty conditions but I'd like some more info on regular use. You use any K&N's?

3.) On the egr thing, are you saying that all of our intakes get dirty like that?
1.) History often repeats itself. The '90s cold-air intake craze extended to 5.0 Mustangs until people started realizing that they didn't free up any power. The stock intake wasn't a restriction for most uses and it already drew air from outside the engine bay. On top of that, it didn't transfer heat through the plastic/rubber tubing anywhere near as quickly as a metal CAI. The underhood "hot air" intakes actually cost a small amount of power, even with a huge cone filter.

2.) I have used K&Ns in other applications and had them pass dust, even with their nylon prefilter. I'll admit that the engine saw a lot of WOT so air velocity through the filter was higher and more likely to pull dirt, but still, they're not supposed to do that.

3.) Yes. It's a combination of particulate carbon from the exhaust gasses mixing with oil vapor from the crankcase ventilation system.

I don't know if you can see it, but I left the outside cold air source part there, and left it pointing at the filter..hot air? No..cooler air temps in that little corner...yes.
I saw it. The factory "snorkel" has an opening that points straight down and is blocked from the airstream by the grille. The radiator opening and fan create a higher pressure in the engine bay that is surprisingly eager to find a low pressure area. The plastic pan under the front of the engine and the rubber seal on the hood are at least partly there to improve cooling. I wouldn't be surprised if the open snorkel provided a conduit to recirculate hot air out from the engine bay and back through the radiator.

I'm not trying to knock you or your intake. It's great that you like it. I'm just breaking the bad news that it's not likely to do anything good for performance.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 06-17-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM

The underhood "hot air" intakes actually cost a small amount of power, even with a huge cone filter.
Good to know, I wasn't planning on turning my truck into a drag racer anytime soon. It barely has enough power to get on the freeway properly, my main goal was better air "flow"..warmer, colder, whatever...

The factory "snorkel" has an opening that points straight down and is blocked from the airstream by the grille
So what was the point of Toyota even putting it there if it's blocked anyway? I think you're mistaken on that.

Last edited by Gregs94Toy; 06-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold-Air Intake from EBAY