Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cold air intake!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold air intake!

hi I have a 1993 4runner v6 3L and I have been shopping around for some cold air intake systems and I was wondering if they make that big of a difference or if it's not worth the money and if they're worth it should I go for a k&n or what?!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM

IMO cold air intakes dont do jack squat till you hit 4-6k rpm. Also from what I have read your stock intake will get the air colder then an after market in our trucks. Get the bend out of the tube and it should work good, thats what I did got a tube with a 45 bend on it and a few rubber couplers to join it to the MAF and the trottle body and that helped the air flow just as well IMO as a $150-300 aftermarket intake.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:43 PM

I took my cold air intake off because it wasn't CARB legal and I reinstalled my stock setup for the smog station. I ran it with a basic paper filter. I lost some throttle response with the paper filter/stock setup. Because I'm lazy and I didn't want to hassel reinstalling the cold air setup every two years for smog I bought a K&N filter that replaces the stock paper filter. After driving for a couple of weeks I think this setup is better then a cold air intake. I noticed I had more passing power on the highway. The improvement was subtle because it's a 22RE after all, but I definately had more power from 55-75MPH. I still think the throttle response was slightly better at slow speeds with the cold air intake but I'd rather have the much needed passing power.

Since the stock intake is routed to the front of the truck more cold air is available when at speed. Additionally, more cold air is actually getting to the throttle body because the K&N is much less restrictive then the paper filter. Most cold air intakes just sit in the engine compartment drawing from all that hot air off the engine. Some of the newer cold intake setups for different trucks come with shields and vents that isolate the intake from the engine compartment and provide fresh air from a tube routed to the outside which tells me I'm probably on the right track.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1%_Spawn
I took my cold air intake off because it wasn't CARB legal and I reinstalled my stock setup for the smog station. I ran it with a basic paper filter. I lost some throttle response with the paper filter/stock setup. Because I'm lazy and I didn't want to hassel reinstalling the cold air setup every two years for smog I bought a K&N filter that replaces the stock paper filter. After driving for a couple of weeks I think this setup is better then a cold air intake. I noticed I had more passing power on the highway. The improvement was subtle because it's a 22RE after all, but I definately had more power from 55-75MPH. I still think the throttle response was slightly better at slow speeds with the cold air intake but I'd rather have the much needed passing power.

Since the stock intake is routed to the front of the truck more cold air is available when at speed. Additionally, more cold air is actually getting to the throttle body because the K&N is much less restrictive then the paper filter. Most cold air intakes just sit in the engine compartment drawing from all that hot air off the engine. Some of the newer cold intake setups for different trucks come with shields and vents that isolate the intake from the engine compartment and provide fresh air from a tube routed to the outside which tells me I'm probably on the right track.
how much does a k&n air filter usually go for ?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:00 PM

Here ya go

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kn...er?prefilter=1
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by B-Fake
thank you!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Save your money for something else.
It's a 3.0 not many mods that make a big difference.
IMHO the difference between a K&N filter and stock set up you probably wouldn't notice.
I'd make sure it run's right and spend your money on armor, just my .02 worth
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
Save your money for something else.
It's a 3.0 not many mods that make a big difference.
IMHO the difference between a K&N filter and stock set up you probably wouldn't notice.
I'd make sure it run's right and spend your money on armor, just my .02 worth
by armor you mean?
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM

I have a 1993 pickup 3.0 with k & n cold air intake i can tell the difference I get better hp gas milage too and right now I'm looking into gears. I believe it's a good purchase.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie_watkins

by armor you mean?
What I believe he means is beafyness like bumper, roll cage, something to protect you unlike something within the engine wise.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Edionne13

What I believe he means is beafyness like bumper, roll cage, something to protect you unlike something within the engine wise.
I'm really Interested in those cargo racks that alot of jeeps have does anyone know how much those go for ? or where to get the best deal on them?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM

IMO i guess a "cold air intake" as they call it is a waste of money, and it does not have to be an air raid k&n air filter or what not any ebay or spectre work great just put some of that oil spray dont know what is called just maintain it clean on mine i did my own with 24 gauge sheet metal I will post some pictures tommorow to see What mine looks like and you can get an Idea next I will be putting a 280zx turbo hood scoop that will be this friday I will post alot of pictures on that (this set up is going to actually be functional and stand for the name of cold air intake) till then wish me luck on finding it on the Junk Yard I saw one on sat hopefully is still there
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Edionne13
I have a 1993 pickup 3.0 with k & n cold air intake i can tell the difference I get better hp gas milage too and right now I'm looking into gears. I believe it's a good purchase.
What are the #'s on your HP and mileage gain?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM

2-3 miles horsepower good 8-10 hp can tell once i put it in and slammed the gas peddle it works it starts to go at 3k rpm you hear it winding out. Sounds epic. That's not even with right gears. 4:10. With 33's and 4 inch lift