Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clutch or tc?? need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch or tc?? need help

Hi,

1990 22re 4x4. SAS. 4.88 gears 35" toyos. 5-speed.

Was running fine on the freeway coasting at 70mph. We were going to Hollister Hills to go 4wheeling and check out what the storm have brought.
Before the trail, I lowered my tire pressure and switch it to 4HI. The truck was doing fine along the trail, but started having problems when I attempted a steep climb.
I was having a hard time mixing the clutch and accelerator to engage in 1st gear. Even when I had thought that it was engaged, the wheels were not moving. I locked the
front hubs, thinking it might be slipping. But no luck. After several attempts it resulted with a stinky clutch burning smell. So I rolled down the hill and proceeded on the easier uphill path with no problem
but the clutch smell still there.

I continued to ride along the trails trying to feel out the clutch and the truck. I noticed that on 1st gear, i have a hard time keeping a low pace/speed as the truck seemed like it was going to stall so I had to
put more gas into it, but this is causing me to speed. On 2nd gear, the speed is manageable, but it seems like the truck will stall. After awhile, I decided to go home and not take my chance getting stuck there.

The truck drove fine going home around 60-65mph, (after going back to 2Hi). The only noticeable difference is the height of the clutch pedal when engaging in 3rd to 5th is the its a bit high.

Do you guys think its a worn clutch or a transfer case problem?? any input is greatly appreciated. thanks

~onsse
Old 02-20-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
You don't mention any mileage, so no idea how old your clutch is, but if you smell burning clutch I'm gonna point to the clutch as your problem. Transfer case problems are pretty rare in these trucks.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Clutch or poor driving habits .

Could have been how often your foot was on the clutch pedal .

Then what type of clutch you have makes a difference

If it works fine once things cool down .

If your getting the clutch that hot you might want to think about running Two Transfer cases
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the feedback. i'm beginning to lean towards a worn clutch.

this is my first 4wd manual pickup with 218k miles. the Po had put in a rebuilt tranny already.. I've always driven an 80 series, so i'm not sure how it behaves in 4hi vs 4lo. i bought the truck several months back and has been great in city driving.
it was my first time taking it to the trail. so i'm not sure how old the clutch is. it ran great until that hill. I was even using the parking brake to help climb.

took it out again to see whats really happening. it looks like the is clutch wearing down, because its revving up more while not picking up speed at the top end. this is noticeable from 2nd to 4th gear.
when i brought it to a dirt/muddy parking lot to test out the 4wd, i shifted to 4Hi and it seems normal. HOWEVER on 4Lo, the truck (clutch) would grab, but definitely lets go with hi rev (rpm @ 3K above) and slowly creeps in the mud. I don't think
this is normal at all. or is it?

anyway thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited by onsse; 02-21-2017 at 08:21 AM.