Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch squeals when pressed in half way

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch squeals when pressed in half way

My 1990 toyota pickup recently started to squeal with the clutch pressed in halfway. When it happens the rpms drop and my electronics flick off momentarily. Using my clutch cancel start button seems to stop this from happening. Can anyone help me with whats going on? Thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Bjorn Jensen
My 1990 toyota pickup recently started to squeal with the clutch pressed in halfway. When it happens the rpms drop and my electronics flick off momentarily. Using my clutch cancel start button seems to stop this from happening. Can anyone help me with whats going on? Thanks
Man says, "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this."
Dr says, "well don't do that!"

Seriously though, you'll want to give a more detailed description of what happens, when and what you are doing to reproduce the noise. In detail..

Just guessing it'll be the throw out bearing.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Man says, "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this."
Dr says, "well don't do that!"

Seriously though, you'll want to give a more detailed description of what happens, when and what you are doing to reproduce the noise. In detail..

Just guessing it'll be the throw out bearing.
the noise only happens when the clutch is halfway in and it sounds like somthing is grinding. Im not doing anything special to make the noise just clutch in and it happens. And when it does all the interior lights dim just for a second and the sterio shuts off and comes back on. Thats all i can do to describe whats happening. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 02-01-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Driving starting stoped at lights hot cold yadda yadda..

I over looked the light thing as engine dragging but! Maybe you've pinched a wire some where and it's all coming from or related to something under the dash. Check everything is clear there, won't cost anything but time, same at the slave cylinder a few wires there also. Could be pinched starter wire and it's the starter trying to turn.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
bad pilot bearing maybe? dogging the engine hard enough to cause a voltage surge.