Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch slipping

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch slipping

I need some help with an issue I am having. I had a new Napa clutch kit along with all bearings as well as new master and slave cylinders put on by a trusted mechanic about 2 months ago. After a month I noticed coming home one day that the clutch was slipping really bad. It was too the point that I was crawling home. So I took it to a guy I know who used to work at the local Toyota dealer he tore everything apart and re-installed it. He said the only thing he did was tighten the bolts alil better than they were to begin with and he also bled the system again. He was nice charged me $100 and everything is golden. Well here we are a week later and yesterday after it had been fine it starts slipping real bad again. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I am about out of ideas as to what this could be. I checked and the flywheel I bought from Napa was the right one with the machined step so I doubt its that either. Any help would be great as this is my DD and I need it to get to work.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-14-2009 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Please use relevant thread titles
Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Had to add any fluid? Is it low? Why did you replace everything in the first place?

Sounds like you might have a failing mc or slave since it was not an immediate failure.

Update when you get it fixed.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when he said he tightened everything up, did he use threadlocker or anything? according to an old ricer buddy, when he did a clutch on his civic, he forgot to use threadlocker, and the bolts came loose and 'blew up' the transmission and the back of the engine.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 AM

I wouldnt think it would be either the master or slave cylinder because all they do is engage the clutch. It sounds to me like the pressure plate isnt not holding the clutch disk tight enough to the fly wheel. Assuming the p. plate is bolted on tightly, the c. disk had enough material on it and the fly wheel is thick enough i dont see how it would slip. I guess if the slave cylinder is some how expanding and pushing the clutch in a little for you. Or I dont know if this could happen but maybe the throwout bearing is sticking causing the clutch to slip.

Sorry about the rambling.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 AM

I replaced everything due to the fact that i was getting a loud screeching noise which was the throwout bearing and the clutch itself were wore out. Everything was new flywheel both cylinders and everything. I'm not sure about the threadlock. Thanks for throwing some things out there guys its stumping me thats why I was asking on here.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 PM

First problem in NAPA garbage. OEM or Marlin.

You may have a trans input shaft leak causing the slip. It only take a little bit of oil and you are done. And if that is the case then you will need a new fiber plate because once the oil is on there is destroys the plate.

Also if whoever put the clutch back together moved the fork pivot bolt you may be bottoming out the slave. Is there some free play in the clutch pedal? Do you have to push it down at least half before it disengages?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 AM

How would I be able to tell if I had an input shaft leak?? The slave seems to be fine and not bottoming out and yes the freeplay was set and is fine. Also I duno if anyone would have a similar experience but it seems 10 times worse when the weather is warm outside. Its hardly noticable on a 60 degree day but when we get a 75 degree day it seems alot worse. Its weird as hell but it honestly seems like that is having an effect on it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:30 PM

I am having the same issue. If its even slightly warm outside my clutch slips real bad. No oil in there I checked and am having tha same issue. I also purchased the clutch from Napa and Flywheel. Maybe thats the problem.

Mine actually was doing it before I even replaced the clutch. That's why I put a New Clutch, New Flywheel, New Slave I thought it might be sticking and causing it too slip. And Guess what it didn't fix it. It drove great for about a month then it started it's crap again. Now the new clutch is all the way at the top and barely grabs.

Last edited by rockbender; 05-15-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: wasn't done.