86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch pedal only comes halfway up

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal only comes halfway up

I've searched for an answer to this problem a few times now with no luck.

When my wife drives my truck, she does something weird to the clutch and gets it so that the pedal only comes back up about halfway. The clutch still disengages just fine and she can shift it. When I get in, I invariably kill the engine the first time, because the clutch engagement point is also about half as far from the floor as I expect, but then I can lift the pedal up with my toe and everything is back to normal again.

Before you ask, my wife has been driving manual cars for 12 years now and won't even buy an automatic. She claims to be pressing the clutch like she normally does. My sister (who is shorter than my wife) recently drove it, and did not cause the problem.

So far, this hasn't really caused any problems, aside from being kinda weird. Of course, things that are weird are often precursors to things that are bad when it comes to cars and trucks, so I'm here asking you guys what is the deal? I'm a little worried that this could be a precursor to the dreaded clutch pedal bracket failure.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Inspect the spring for wear/sag, the bracket for fatigue, and lube up the pedals rotation pin.

because the clutch engagement point is also about half as far from the floor as I expect
This indicates a broken bracket, does it make any odd sounds when you pull the pedal up?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
This indicates a broken bracket, does it make any odd sounds when you pull the pedal up?
It doesn't make any noise when I pull the pedal up, and I've never been able to get it to replicate whatever happens when my wife drives.

I should mention that the clutch does have a barely audible click sound every time I depress the pedal, but I'm pretty sure that is just the switch on it (the switch that tells the starter everything is OK in clutch-depressed world).
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
If its clicking, Ill bet its the pedal bracket. Thats how I found out mine was broken, it started clicking.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine didn't give a clue it was cracking until the clutch cracked and fell onto the carpet . Look under there with a flashlight for any stress fractures or abnormal bending. I'm guessing she presses the pedal at a different angle and it's slowly but surely bending and weakening the bracket attached to the firewall.

I had a fabrication shop put a big bead of metal on the back, there's no way it's ever coming off again.