86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch kits: Wading through the choices

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch kits: Wading through the choices

So im looking for a clutch kit for my 88 pickup. I can get an OE replacement for 80 dollars or so but online there are lots of choices from, F1 racing stage 3 for around 150, XTD stage 3 for around the same, Borgwarner Brute Force for around 80, Bahnhof HD -100, Exedy and centerforce for 250- 450 which is too much for me. Has anyone installed any of these clutch kits and is it worth it to install a racing or HD clutch in an almost stock rig with some simple performance and offroad mods.

P.S. i drive this thing daily on the roads as well as off

Last edited by ToyMachine88; 10-25-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just get a stock Aisin clutch. They work fine and last a long long time if you're careful. I run 33's and get offroad fairly often and the stock clutch has always done fine for me.

Some folks feel the need to upgrade to clutches with heavier springs for "better" clutch engagement when running lower gears and bigger tires. Marlin Crawler sells a good product with a variety of spring rates to choose from. http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/kit-crawling FYI I think the stock rate is like 900#...

Other vendors sell stock Aisin clutches and related hardware.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Thanks rustbucket ill check em out
Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM

wow im surprised on the prices from marlin 179 for my application for 1200 lb kit
and 149 from aisin so thanks again rust ill probably be going with one of these two

Last edited by ToyMachine88; 10-25-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Mr. Machine....

I agree with Rust Bucket, 100%. If you're not planning on climbing the face of Mt. Whitney and you're just looking for a reliable, very effective clutch... I'd go with a Stock Aisin or even Daikin Clutch. Daikin offers a 'mild HD' clutch, which I have, that should last longer and give you a lil better grip, w/out chattering you out of the seat into the passenger side, lol. Daikin is Japanese, like Aisin, and I BELIEVE many builders go with them because of the warranty and OEM Casting factor that I've been told of. I think my mildly HD one cost around 189$ on a deal, whole kit, w/bearings and adjuster tool, etc.

Best wishes on your hunt!

Mark

PS> Welcome to Yotatech!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM

Here's another OE kit...........

http://www.phoenixfriction.net/1987-...-p7459869.html
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an Exidy (I guess this is the Honda OEM brand) but returned it when I found an Aisin new on eBay for $80.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

thanks chef, im glad i joined this page im getting very helpful and speedy responses. I only wish i had the money for a clutch kit when i replaced my engine 6 months ago, but oh well gives me an excuse to work on my truck

Last edited by ToyMachine88; 10-25-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
In my experience what really matters is that you have an AISIN clutch disc installed. NOT, and I repeat, NOT an EXEDY clutch disc. The one I bought to replace the stock AISIN disc, that lasted well over 200,000 miles in my rig BTW, blew up with only ~1000 miles on it. It was an EXEDY organic OE replacement type disc, so I can't speak on their other models. But it was totally inferior to the new OE AISIN clutch disc I replaced it with. I'd also bought a new flywheel and a new HD pressure plate made by EXEDY at the time when I installed the EXEDY disc. Or atleast it's supposed to be HD pressure plate anyways. It didn't state the clamping force, so I've no way to verify that it really is. All I do know is that it's been working splendidly with the AISIN disc and I'm very pleased with that setup.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-09-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 AM

"The Mudhippy KNOWS things"... I've heard being said, Mr. Machine..... take heed! lol.

Not sure on the Exedy, but I'll DEFINITELY take his word for it. I went with Daikin, because the machinists I spoke with told me "They, along with Factory are the only ones 'WE' recommend.... However, you can get whatever you want, like a 1600 Chatter-Chunk-Kit, and they will last too....." I hope I didn't get bad advice, Hippy! hahaha.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Boy, put me down for a "chatter-chunk-kit"! Sounds like a worthy upgrade!!
Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 AM

HAHAHA! lol... I know, RustBucket, ....

I have been in a couple REALLY HEAVY DUTY crawlers,.....just can't handle the chattery kidney damaging take off! lol... Mine is mild/HD, and it does me just fine! lol.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:37 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/n...stions-168349/

I started a thread a while ago with the same delima. I ended up going with the marlin crawler. It seemed like the best bang for the buck. Its been in for about 20,000 and has been holding up well. I am having some slight vibration during high-rpm shifting BUT I called marlin and they said they would send me a new throughout bearing (which is an OEM part form what they said) if I ended up needing one. So their customer service has been really good. Im not sure what it is, but the clutch has been really good. If you want to know more about the marlin HD kits just check out the thread above.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM

For places to purchase Aisin here's another option (I have it set to look for a 1988, but you can change the year):

http://www.allclutchparts.com/ShopBy...UP+DLX&mode=PS
Old 10-25-2010, 02:15 PM

...for my $0.02 Aisin OEM is the way to go for most things. Very happy with the new one I installed during my auto-manual swap so far.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
x17 on the Aisin or Marlin Crawler. Keep in mind that stronger clutches tend to demand more pedal effort, which can really tire your leg in stop-and-go traffic. But folks with the Marlin 1200 lb clutch say it doesn't make the pedal a lot stiffer, just a little.

Daikin USED to be a Japanese-made clutch, but if you check out their website http://www.daikin-clutch.com/ you'll see that it now redirects to: http://www.exedyusa.com/ so apparently Daikin was bought by Exedy. And if you check out Exedy, you'll see that they have a bunch of factories in China. So that could be the reason for Mudhippy's observations.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't order anything from Marlin unless you got a couple months to wait. Placed a order with them and have been waiting 4 weeks for shift knobs. I had planned on ordering a rear bumper and Transfer case but I had heard some bad things about them and thought I will test the waters first. Gimme a Break a place that specializes in tranny's doesn't even have shift knobs?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
"The Mudhippy KNOWS things"... I've heard being said, Mr. Machine..... take heed! lol.
I know a few things about 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners. And a few other things, but mostly just 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners.

But after all...I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

There's probably grander things in life to aspire to in terms of devoting one's life to studying. It is my religion at this point. Not a big believer in god myself. Maybe...if he spells his name TOYOTA.

It's kinda sad really...

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Boy, put me down for a "chatter-chunk-kit"! Sounds like a worthy upgrade!!
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
HAHAHA! lol... I know, RustBucket, ....

I have been in a couple REALLY HEAVY DUTY crawlers,.....just can't handle the chattery kidney damaging take off! lol... Mine is mild/HD, and it does me just fine! lol.
I feel ya on that too. I still have no way of knowing for sure if what I bought was a truly HD pressure plate in terms of more clamping force. I can tell you this though, that aspect of the performance was substantially affected by the design of the two different brands of clutch discs. The AISIN clutch disc engages/disengages twice as smoothly as the Exedy clutch disc did. And once the AISIN was installed I couldn't tell the "HD" pressure plate apart from the stock pressure plate. And it had over 200k miles on it! It feels exactly the same as stock to me. So you tell me...is it?

So if you buy one of these, don't expect much other than stock performance out of it. Which is actually quite good. And only run the Exedy disc 'till it falls apart then buy the AISIN. Better yet buy the AISIN at the same time and chuck the Exedy. Save yourself getting stranded. I run 4.30's and 35's, and that puts big time stress on the clutch assembly(gears play a big role in clutch performance too, especially with bigger tires, with gears = good,without gears = bad). It handles it all in stride though, can't make it slip if I had to with the 3VZE(and it's no slouch in the torque department).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-96...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-25-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal
I wouldn't order anything from Marlin unless you got a couple months to wait. Placed a order with them and have been waiting 4 weeks for shift knobs. I had planned on ordering a rear bumper and Transfer case but I had heard some bad things about them and thought I will test the waters first. Gimme a Break a place that specializes in tranny's doesn't even have shift knobs?
If you want to order a clutch kit from them or anything from them for that matter and you are worried about time. Just call them before and make sure they have them in stock. I ordered my clutch kit from them and it was at my house in Missouri in less than a week all the way from California! I have a lot of faith in them, they make good products and so far I haven't ever heard of them not standing behind them. And one of the best things is that when you do call them a real person who know what they are talking about answers the phone. Their clutch kits are made to exceed factory performance using practically all OEM brand parts. And as far as clutch stiffness is concerned mine was actually lighter than my factory clutch with 300 ft lbs for holding capacity.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I run a centerforce dual friction and a heavier flywheel, for all its worth. That was in 01, 50,000 miles ago.

Quick Reply: Clutch kits: Wading through the choices