Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch help

Old 10-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch help

Hey guys need some help on my truck i have a 92 22re and im having a problem with my clutch or possibly throwout bearing i recently installed a new clutch kit because throw out bearing was bad ever since i replaced it all i cant get into gear i have bled the system checkecd for cracked pedal etc idk if the throwout is wrong ....truck was running with the bad throwout bearing but wont run with new clutch kit pls help thanks

First pic is whats installed second pic is what google gives me when searching
Attached Thumbnails Clutch help-20161030_034059.jpg   Clutch help-20161030_101510.png  
Old 10-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There are 2 different styles of bearings for these trucks. I prefer the one with the single wire clip that is showing on the right side of the page. If you look at the front of that bearing, it will have an orange stripe around the front of it and in my opinion is the better bearing.

The bearing on the left side of the picture, as two black clips that attach the bearing to the clutch fork.It is a good bearing and will do the job.I am not sure which bearing a 92 uses but I am almost sure they are interchangeable as I have done it on other trucks.

When you had your flywheel turned, as I understand it, there is a special step in having a flywheel turned to the correct way of meeting Toyota specs. If I recall right, It was $20 to have a fly wheel turned and $25 to buy a new fly wheel from Oriellys.

Is the Clutch Slave Cylinder extending as far as needed? I have had issues with a slave cylinder causing same problem as you are having. Really not a lot of distance from slave cylinder engaging or disengaging the clutch.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did you compare all the old parts with new just because it says something is the correct part does not mean it is.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
There are 2 different styles of bearings for these trucks. I prefer the one with the single wire clip that is showing on the right side of the page. If you look at the front of that bearing, it will have an orange stripe around the front of it and in my opinion is the better bearing.

The bearing on the left side of the picture, as two black clips that attach the bearing to the clutch fork.It is a good bearing and will do the job.I am not sure which bearing a 92 uses but I am almost sure they are interchangeable as I have done it on other trucks.

When you had your flywheel turned, as I understand it, there is a special step in having a flywheel turned to the correct way of meeting Toyota specs. If I recall right, It was $20 to have a fly wheel turned and $25 to buy a new fly wheel from Oriellys.

Is the Clutch Slave Cylinder extending as far as needed? I have had issues with a slave cylinder causing same problem as you are having. Really not a lot of distance from slave cylinder engaging or disengaging the clutch.
Yes clutch slave extends all the way but to me its like the throwout bearing is not really pushing the pressure plate for it to engage gears i have changed the slave its new bled it and still the same

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Did you compare all the old parts with new just because it says something is the correct part does not mean it is.
No i did not i just went to napa and asked for clutch kit and thats wat they gave me i went to napa again today to check what other bearing they had and they did not have the one thats on the right of the pic
Old 10-31-2016, 12:27 AM

The throwout that i took out
Attached Thumbnails Clutch help-20161031_181016.jpg   Clutch help-20161031_181030.jpg  
Old 10-31-2016, 08:11 AM

Just a thought but I have a problem with a clutch not engaging completely in my 1989 pickup. Long story short the pedal bracket was cracked (from a fat guy stepping on it since 1989) and so the pedal seemed to be depressed when really it was not engaging the slave. Drove me nuts for a while before I figured it out, changed the slave bled it blah blah blah.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrcocoa
Just a thought but I have a problem with a clutch not engaging completely in my 1989 pickup. Long story short the pedal bracket was cracked (from a fat guy stepping on it since 1989) and so the pedal seemed to be depressed when really it was not engaging the slave. Drove me nuts for a while before I figured it out, changed the slave bled it blah blah blah.
Checked the pedal bracket its fine truck was driving with old TO bearing but ever since i replaced it, it doesnt wana move or go into any gear
Old 11-01-2016, 12:29 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
did you adjust the free play on the clutch pedal?

i had to turn the screw adjustment on the clutch pedal all the way out to the very end, in order to get the pedal to engage/disengage where it's supposed to.

part of that i blame on the crappy toyota clutch slave rod being too short, there is too much free play between the clutch slave and the clutch arm, and the rod can't be adjusted for length... so the clutch master has to be pushed in further than necessary, to overcome the gap on the clutch slave rod.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by osv
did you adjust the free play on the clutch pedal?

i had to turn the screw adjustment on the clutch pedal all the way out to the very end, in order to get the pedal to engage/disengage where it's supposed to.

part of that i blame on the crappy toyota clutch slave rod being too short, there is too much free play between the clutch slave and the clutch arm, and the rod can't be adjusted for length... so the clutch master has to be pushed in further than necessary, to overcome the gap on the clutch slave rod.
The masters adjusted all the way out i recently put a new throwout bearing and i still cant get into gear
Old 11-03-2016, 04:18 AM

Heres the new T/O bearing
Attached Thumbnails Clutch help-img-20161102-wa0003.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2016, 05:17 AM

Possibly defective pressure plate stock vs napa luk clutch kit
Attached Thumbnails Clutch help-img-20161103-wa0035.jpeg   Clutch help-img-20161103-wa0017.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2016, 06:38 AM

Are you able to shift it into gear with the engine turned off, then start the truck with the clutch pushed in? When doing this 1 of 2 things will happen. The truck will start and move when the clutch pedal is let out, or the truck will lurch forward while turning over with starter. If it lurches forward this is telling you there is an issue with the engagement. Sorry to tell you, but most likely you are pulling the tranny back out. Sounds like The wrong clutch kit for your truck to me. Hope this helps
Old 11-03-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ianjadkins
Are you able to shift it into gear with the engine turned off, then start the truck with the clutch pushed in? When doing this 1 of 2 things will happen. The truck will start and move when the clutch pedal is let out, or the truck will lurch forward while turning over with starter. If it lurches forward this is telling you there is an issue with the engagement. Sorry to tell you, but most likely you are pulling the tranny back out. Sounds like The wrong clutch kit for your truck to me. Hope this helps

yes im able to shift into gears while engine is off I can start the truck while pressing the clutch when its on first and when I release truck moves but then I have to turn it off to disengage.. Yes it seems to me that I have to take apart the trains again to get the right pressure plate or use the old pressure plate truck was shifting good with old jacked up bearing I think the issue looks like the pressure plate forks are not in a cone pattern as the stock plate looks the luk pressure plate dips in not making the throw out bearing engage fully

Last edited by yota671; 11-03-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Tothetop

Search this Thread