Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch & Brake Pedals Freeze Simultaneously

Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch & Brake Pedals Freeze Simultaneously

Riddle me this ...

Vehicle: '94 4Runner 3.0 4x4 155k

Got stranded in an intersection when my clutch seized up. The riddle is that my brake pedal simultaneously did the same thing, hard as a rock. They didn't fall to the floor; just stiffened up with zero motion or response. Prior to this neither had given any warning signs. Current clutch has about 10k on it; replaced by previous owner.

Back to the intersection: turned the vehicle off and then restarted. Normal pressure briefly return to pedals but then immediately locked up again and stalled as I shifted into first. Engine and all other systems operated fine. Pushed off the road and towed to Toyota dealer who despite running it hard around their property for 10min couldn't duplicate the symptoms. Visual inspection shows everything fine.

Final piece of data: Arizona air temp is 100 degrees with road temps near 120. Contributing factor? Vehicle had been driven about 4 miles when problem occured.

Best guess is the throw out bearing ... but why the brake pedal? and why'd did the problem disappear? I'm hesitant to drop the transmission (first time) without hearing other thoughts first.

Much appreciated!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What color is the brake fluid in both master cylinders? Clear or dirty/coffee like?
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 PM

I would bet its something under your dash they arent really connected in any other way?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look where the two pedals attach to the bracket under the dash. Make sure there isn't anything broken or out of place. Other than the pedal assembly there is absolutely nothing else that relates the clutch system with the brake system. They are competely separate systems and its really weird to have the same problem at the same time.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by thook
What color is the brake fluid in both master cylinders? Clear or dirty/coffee like?
Brake cylinder fluid is a clean translucent green and was overfilled, almost topped off.
Clutch cylinder fluid is clean, looks like a very weak coffee color. Level floating aound mininum when engine was cool.

Both fluids were added by previous owner.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
Look where the two pedals attach to the bracket under the dash. Make sure there isn't anything broken or out of place. Other than the pedal assembly there is absolutely nothing else that relates the clutch system with the brake system. They are competely separate systems and its really weird to have the same problem at the same time.
Good thought. Visual inspection shows no cracks, loosening, or fatigue in the brackets or assembly. Though it does appear that the bracket is an after market job, perhaps recently replaced.

Another friend posed that they may both pivot on the same shaft, potentially causing them to lose function together.

Until I can diagnose the problem I'm stuck only using it for daily commute, which is not why one buys a 4runner. Any suggestions for what to look for if I drop the transmission?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Green clutch fluid?
Flush and bleed them both with proper fluid.
This might solve it or you might figure it out while your working on it.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah.........green? Odd. Never heard of green brake fluid.