Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clarify: flushing heater core

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
clarify: flushing heater core

I need someone to clarify for me. I've read on these forums that you can flush a heater core just by removing two hoses from under the hood and flushing it with water from a garden hose.

I've also been told on the forums that you have to remove the entire dash to get to the actual core and flush it by removing it and doing the same technique said above.

So which way can it be done? Can I do it without removing the whole dash?
Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
To flush it there is no need in removing it. I have seen some express concern over too much pressure being built up to the point of causing a leak in the unit by putting a high pressure hose to it. I don't necessarily think this would be the case except in a badly corroded unit that probably needs to be replaced anyway. I flushed mine in both directions while I had the motor out and it was very accessible. If you're going to the trouble to remove it, from what I've read you probably ought to replace it, as it is a bear of a job.

I will ad that mine flowed water very well, but IMO does not do a good job of heating. I'm not sure if one of the ducts in the dash isn't flowing well across the core or what, but it's not near as hot as other toyota's I've driven.

Last edited by My99; 01-11-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
The first way is what most people do. I havnt done mine yet though..

Make sure you start off with a slow flow of water, you dont want to puncture the heater core and start a leak.. Then you have to tear the dash apart to get to it and replace it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:33 PM

That's what I thought, but I always see conflicting information on how to do it, so i was getting confused.

I was looking online for prices to replace the heater core. It's not an easy part to find. But it's not a priority for me, as winter will be ending and I'd rather replace the radiator first.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Get a new heater core from Toyota.

yes, its goind to be expensive.

However, what you sepdn on the core you will SAVE on the labor of removing it. Replacing a heater core means taking the dash and everything related to it completly out of the truck. Its a major PITA, and its something you don't want to have to do again. The cheap aftermarket replacements are cheaply made, and very low quality. You don't want to have to change that thing again when it blows and leaks all over your trucks interior.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM

I was planning on removing the dash to replace some bulbs, the blower motor resistor, and do a few other things under there. So I will be getting a new heater core. It just won't be installed until summer.

I'm going to install that, a new radiator, and do the clutch and piston rings all in one project. One at a time, of course, but I will do them all one after the other.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You better start now because you have a lot of work to do!
Bigblock
Old 01-11-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bigblock
You better start now because you have a lot of work to do!
Bigblock
I know. I've done a clutch before, and I did the head on this toyota. I'm going to buy a new head when I do all this work.

I think doing a clutch and a headgasket replacement are probably the two hardest things to do, and I only find it hard because I'm not good at keeping track of all the nets & bolts and where they go.

We did the clutch on my 96 sidekick a few years ago, and the thing would have taken a day to do. The thing that held us up was that we couldnt get the bell housing off. We tugged and pulled and yanked and even hooked up a tow trap and pulled with another vehicle. The thing holding it back was a metal dirt shield that was pretty useless anyways. Nowhere in any of the manuals or internet was there any mentioning of this shield. We got the shield off and everything went smoothly from there.

But yeah, long story short it will be a few weeks of work, but in the end it should be worth it.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your going to be replacing your heater core you might want to check out this guy on ebay; wolffyboy350. I needed a new one for the winter, and he has a junkyard in MT, probably has one for your truck. I won it for $39 including shipping, and it seemed almost new, I installed it the other week and it works great. The only problem with him was that it took almost a month for him to ship it, also he doesn't accept paypal. He did offer me a freebie from him, because he did seem sorry that it took so long, so I will be buying from him again.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ACSig
If your going to be replacing your heater core you might want to check out this guy on ebay; wolffyboy350. I needed a new one for the winter, and he has a junkyard in MT, probably has one for your truck. I won it for $39 including shipping, and it seemed almost new, I installed it the other week and it works great. The only problem with him was that it took almost a month for him to ship it, also he doesn't accept paypal. He did offer me a freebie from him, because he did seem sorry that it took so long, so I will be buying from him again.
Hmmm, I believe I just bought a hood release cable from him. Ordered it a month ago and it still hasn't shipped, but I'm not too worried, as I won't be replacing the cable soon anyways. His name does look familiar.